I Just Don't Understand...

Why does everyone on Halo Waypoint think Reach is a failure? It’s honestly one of my favorite Halo games I have played, and I’ve played all of them.

The game shipped very well balanced, and the only notably unbalanced feature was the armor lock. The DMR fulfills its function better than the BR, as it is more accurate at long range but can be beaten by the assault rifle at short range. All of the weapons available are effective within their own niche, and almost none overpower the others in all scenarios.

It is also one of the most option-filled and varied games to date. The theater, custom games and forge mode options are unmatched in the Halo series. All of the weapons provide important and useful functions without copying the other weapons in the game. Firefight and Campaign have more options than ever. The new forge mode means that anyone can have hundreds of great maps without ever paying an extra cent.

Finally, the Campaign is well written and provides well designed sandbox gameplay. It wasn’t the most exciting or optimistic campaign of them all, but it fit the story being told very well. It is equally glitchy as the Halo games before it, and has much cooler easter eggs. The AI uses their armor abilities appropriately instead of randomly as they have done in the past, and they know the gun your using and attempt to distance themselves accordingly. It can be one of the most difficult campaigns of the series, or the easiest if you want it to be. You don’t have to find the skulls to change gameplay, the option of changing your experience is completely up to you.

With all this in mind, why is Reach considered a failure?

Yes.

Sick of these threads.

My honest opinion:

Its cool to hate.

Peer pressure.

Gameplay is too nuanced for most people to take true advantage of.

Trying to play it like an old halo game and getting upset.

People just dont like change?

Armor lock
Jet pack makes map design useless
Bloom doesn’t work
Strafe is bad
Sprint allowed you to run away from fights
Matchmaking doesn’t match people based on skill
Teams of 4 vs. randoms
Quitters, betrayers
Black screeners in arena
Theatre mode downgraded
Too much grey in forge

These are things off the top of my head. This game introduced unskillful mechanics that make the game boring really quick.

The reason I don’t play COD is because of all the bs in that game. Reach added in that bs (not as much as COD, but still).

> My honest opinion:
>
> Its cool to hate.
>
> Peer pressure.
>
> Gameplay is too nuanced for most people to take true advantage of.
>
> Trying to play it like an old halo game and getting upset.
>
> People just dont like change?

When i buy a halo game. I expect it to play like one

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I stopped reading at “The game shipped very well balanced”

I’m thinking troll…either that or pants-on-head.

> > My honest opinion:
> >
> > Its cool to hate.
> >
> > Peer pressure.
> >
> > Gameplay is too nuanced for most people to take true advantage of.
> >
> > Trying to play it like an old halo game and getting upset.
> >
> > People just dont like change?
>
> When i buy a halo game. I expect it to play like one

When i buy a halo game, I expect something new and interesting for my money or ive been swindled.

> > > My honest opinion:
> > >
> > > Its cool to hate.
> > >
> > > Peer pressure.
> > >
> > > Gameplay is too nuanced for most people to take true advantage of.
> > >
> > > Trying to play it like an old halo game and getting upset.
> > >
> > > People just dont like change?
> >
> > When i buy a halo game. I expect it to play like one
>
> When i buy a halo game, I expect something new and interesting for my money or ive been swindled.

somethings from reach are from shadowrun. not exactly new.

He pulled the shadowrun card…

Because change is a concept that some people can’t comprehend and it causes them to break down and cry.

Would love to see them function in the real world.

Halo: Reach is the unwanted child prodigy of Halo knocking up CoD and having a baby neither want at all.

> He pulled the shadowrun card…

Glider = derpack. Sage worked on both games. Dunno what happened sage did a okay job on shadowrun.

[deleted]

“The assault rifle could beat the DMR at close range unlike against the BR” That’s a load of rubbish! You could beat the BR at close ranges with the Assault rifle, I know I could. The BR was a much more fun weapon to use, the DMR was boring. I hate bloom, but if the DMR had no bloom at all, it’d be Overpowered, although it is very very fun with no bloom, (I prefer it without bloom, it is overpowered at long ranges. The DMR is a want to be sniper.

Sprint allowed noobs to get away with making mistakes, if you made mistakes in previous games, whether it was you not positioning yourself correctly, or you couldn’t out shoot your enemy, you would die. However in Reach you could just run away, which slowed the game down and allowed people to get away with mistakes, which also meant that people wouldn’t learn from their mistakes because they knew they could make those mistakes and still get away with making them.

The double pummel is also abused far too much by enthusiasts, with the added problem that there is no Bleedthrough (they added it but got rid of it) means that close up fire fights are almost redundant because you’d always get someone who’d just double pummel you. People who say “it’s easy to counter” obviously don’t know what the heat of the moment is, when someone rushes you like that, you tend to panic, and are unable to consistently pull of the maneuver necessary to counter the double pummel.

The sword and Hammer no longer require any thought or strategy to use now, you can just herp a derp sprint and get easy kills.

Jet pack destroyed map control, and broke cover spots, It allowed jet packers to just “fly” above and shoot people behind cover, getting cheap kills.

Being able to activate camo at any given point is also overpowered, have you ever tried to snipe a sniper with the ability to have camo at any given point? It’s very difficult. You also get the idiots who camp in corners with the sword or Hammer.

I don’t need to say anything about armour lock, as you have said yourself that it was a problem.

Bloom randomises gameplay, “timing your shots is very skill full” is not true at all, what is skill full is being able to out shoot 4 people in a mid range fire fight, you cannot do this when Bloom exists. BR spread meant that people had to be at a medium range to get consistent shots. Bloom sounds good on paper, but in game, it is broken, and makes the DMR inconsistent.

Vehicles are too easily destroyed, but then some vehicles are too easy to get kills with. The Banshee is a Card board dragon, very powerful, enthusiasts abuse the ability to flip, but it is very weak. Warthogs and ghosts are too easily destroyed by the DMR, and move far too much when shot.

I however enjoy Reach, and I love the armour system, however I wish it had a skill system in it that was viewable by everyone by the side of your name.

> Why does everyone on Halo Waypoint think Reach is a failure? It’s honestly one of my favorite Halo games I have played, and I’ve played all of them.
>
> The game shipped very well balanced, and the only notably unbalanced feature was the armor lock. The DMR fulfills its function better than the BR, as it is more accurate at long range but can be beaten by the assault rifle at short range. All of the weapons available are effective within their own niche, and almost none overpower the others in all scenarios.
>
> It is also one of the most option-filled and varied games to date. The theater, custom games and forge mode options are unmatched in the Halo series. All of the weapons provide important and useful functions without copying the other weapons in the game. Firefight and Campaign have more options than ever. The new forge mode means that anyone can have hundreds of great maps without ever paying an extra cent.
>
> Finally, the Campaign is well written and provides well designed sandbox gameplay. It wasn’t the most exciting or optimistic campaign of them all, but it fit the story being told very well. It is equally glitchy as the Halo games before it, and has much cooler easter eggs. The AI uses their armor abilities appropriately instead of randomly as they have done in the past, and they know the gun your using and attempt to distance themselves accordingly. It can be one of the most difficult campaigns of the series, or the easiest if you want it to be. You don’t have to find the skulls to change gameplay, the option of changing your experience is completely up to you.
>
> With all this in mind, why is Reach considered a failure?

Thanks you thank you thank you, finally a person who likes reach like I do.

Much like EVERY VIDEO GAME, it has flaws. However I still enjoy it a lot.
PS: IS there any game that has no flaws? Half-Life 2 maybe?

> > He pulled the shadowrun card…
>
> Glider = derpack. Sage worked on both games. Dunno what happened sage did a okay job on shadowrun.

You know people dont just work on one game then retire right? You know its quite common for people to work of lots of different games and mix and match ideas between them? Do you think each piece of human culture stands alone as something completely unique? You sound like you have a bright future as a Hollywood copyright lawyer.

Some phrases

“Nothing new under the sun”

and

“Everything is a remix”

and

“We stand on the shoulders of giants.”

You want to know why I dislike Reach? It would be easier to say why I like it and work from there.

> > > He pulled the shadowrun card…
> >
> > Glider = derpack. Sage worked on both games. Dunno what happened sage did a okay job on shadowrun.
>
> You know people dont just work on one game then retire right? You know its quite common for people to work of lots of different games and mix and match ideas between them? Do you think each piece of human culture stands alone as something completely unique? You sound like you have a bright future as a Hollywood copyright lawyer.
>
> Some phrases
>
> “Nothing new under the sun”
>
> and
>
> “Everything is a remix”
>
> and
>
> “We stand on the shoulders of giants.”

I am aware of that, I am wondering why the hell it was done so terribly. At least shadowrun was balanced.

Some ideas are best left out of halo.

My opinion.

Reach was created for noobs. That’s all I see defending so reasonable hypothesis. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its certainly ok to like something. But making this thread is pointless considering everyone by now knows the reasons why people disliked reach.