I just don't know what to do anymore...

Hey guys,

So I’m on here to vent/look for any help I can get.

Basically, these past few days on HW2 have been truly awful. In 1v1 I managed to get plat 4 with cutter going 6-4, then after that I managed to work it up to diamond 3 or 4 ( I think) winning majority of my games as cutter. But these past few days I’ve literally lost about 10-15 matches consistently to the point I’m a flat diamond 1 (thank God I can’t go lower than that). I just don’t know what to do.

I scout and build my army accordingly, but no matter what I always lose now. I’m not here to complain about OP stuff (although I think kizano JR are a bit ridiculous) but I dunno. Maybe some tips on build order, or how to even possibly macro better? I just don’t know. But its getting frustrating and disheartening losing every single match, especially since I used to be pretty decent at command and conquer and HW1 back in the day.

Should I be using cutter? I dunno.

Any help is appreciated as I’m close to just quitting.

Thanks.

Also another thing that throws me off is diminishing returns. I feel I have an idea how it works, but I’m not 100% sure?

Thanks

Also, if anyone is looking for a teammate I am fairly decent, just unfortunately none of my friends play it

No one can really give you specific guidance because we aren’t there to see what’s going on. If you really are scouting then it comes down to anticipating what units they will be building if you don’t outright see any. Forcing them to work out of one base is a solid tactic, leaving you free to claim expansion bases and power nodes.

The biggest tip I can give you without looking at your gameplay is to always be thinking about the game from your opponent’s perspective. Ask yourself, ‘what can I do to make the situation worse for my enemy? How can I force him into a dilemma?’

As Viper said, we can’t really help you out on here without seeing what goes wrong. However, if you’d like, I’m currently offering free coaching services on Xbox Live to community members. Send me a message and I could spend some time with you to try to work out what may be going wrong, as well as some tips and such. :slight_smile:

We need more details. You failed to explain if you upgrade units, what leader powers, how the enemy counters, what exactly is killing you, details man! It’s all in the details even without a vid to look at it should give us an idea what is going on.

Can you begin to explain your very first 2 minutes? Those are incredibly important and we can take it from there.

Whatever is that you’re doing I don’t agree you should change from cutter. Change leader when you want to explore something new, not when you’re having a losing streak. The reason for this is that it is expected to lose some games when you are learning a new hero, so that could deepen a lot more your feelings of hopelessness.

Fear not, we’ll help you out as much as we can.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Just stop being bad. you should win more after you do that.

You can add me if you want? Calmerencer

I am plat 6 atm~ wouldnt mind a tag team partner :slight_smile:

> 2533274821521504;7:
> Can you begin to explain your very first 2 minutes? Those are incredibly important and we can take it from there.
>
> Whatever is that you’re doing I don’t agree you should change from cutter. Change leader when you want to explore something new, not when you’re having a losing streak. The reason for this is that it is expected to lose some games when you are learning a new hero, so that could deepen a lot more your feelings of hopelessness.
>
> Fear not, we’ll help you out as much as we can.

Hey man,

So my first 2 minutes are usually like this

-Build gen and upgrade when done/and obtain unsc raid power
-Build a SP and a JR to scout and collect resources on the other side
-Build another SP when possible
-Build gen and upgrade
-Build last sp

Meanwhile I’m collecting resources, scouting and building some extra marines to take power nodes accordingly. I do take at least one minibase, two if I can.

I used to open up differently, and use a lot of JR (like kizano players) and it definitely worked, but then as I got higher in rank all I versed was mostly kizano and her JR just outmatch others.

Thanks

> 2533274824401017;9:
> You can add me if you want? Calmerencer
>
> I am plat 6 atm~ wouldnt mind a tag team partner :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ll add you when I get on, would be great to team up :slight_smile:

My GT is just the name on here

> 2533274843179500;10:
> > 2533274821521504;7:
> > Can you begin to explain your very first 2 minutes? Those are incredibly important and we can take it from there.
> >
> > Whatever is that you’re doing I don’t agree you should change from cutter. Change leader when you want to explore something new, not when you’re having a losing streak. The reason for this is that it is expected to lose some games when you are learning a new hero, so that could deepen a lot more your feelings of hopelessness.
> >
> > Fear not, we’ll help you out as much as we can.
>
> Hey man,
>
> So my first 2 minutes are usually like this
>
> -Build gen and upgrade when done/and obtain unsc raid power
> -Build a SP and a JR to scout and collect resources on the other side
> -Build another SP when possible
> -Build gen and upgrade
> -Build last sp
>
> Meanwhile I’m collecting resources, scouting and building some extra marines to take power nodes accordingly. I do take at least one minibase, two if I can.
>
> I used to open up differently, and use a lot of JR (like kizano players) and it definitely worked, but then as I got higher in rank all I versed was mostly kizano and her JR just outmatch others.
>
> Thanks

So the gen-first is always nice as UNSC if you are trying to fast-tech. Vs Forge and Kinsano you -will- be out JRed and so you pretty much have to fast tech.

That said, you really ought to try and out-game your opponent in the JR battle if they are Anders, Cutter or Isabel. No reason you cannot win vs them. And a JR lead always beats

How do you beat Kinsano? Turtle through T1, get a few marines and play defensively with them, 2 turrets too. Obviously get UNSC raid, then cyclops. Love life because you get fast cyclops <3 Build a garage and get kodiaks+wolverines, more of each depending obviously on whether they go more infantry or air. And siege their damn base! Nice to get a grounded army so they won’t have any anti-air then suddenly you have 4 pelicans aiding you in a big fight. Helps a lot.

How do you beat Forge? Ah. Forge is difficult. It’s a bad match-up. You lose at the start to his JRs or his fast tech and the longer the game goes on the harder it gets. There is a sweet spot just like Kinsano, but a little later vs forge. When you have your close air support just unlocked if you push his base and use all your globals you can do pretty amazing and often snatch a base and win via that. But it’s a very small timing window.

Always go JR vs banished on any remotely large sized map. If the map is tiny and you expect engineers in T1 going marines is alright and with UNSC raid it’s a lot easier to rush them. In fact, cutter is probably the best UNSC vs banished, alongside anders. Faster cyclops is amaaaaaaaaaaaazing vs banished since it makes it harder for them to kite you with locusts. Honestly… Kinsano vs high level atriox feels impossible for me > _ < Cyclops are useless and air is so easily countered by a few reavers…

Do try going marines too vs UNSC. On the smaller maps you can beat JRs if you micro well enough with your nades. Turret drops are really good as well. Fight over the minibase expos. Everytime you destroy a minibase or build one you get leader points so that means an earlier close air support and obviously the earlier you get close air support the harder it is to defend against.

I think once you are passed the initial learning phase of a game when things start to be more instinctive, the biggest deciding factor of the outcome of a game (excluding vast differences in natural talent) is your confidence going into it. Look at any sport across the world and you’ll see patterns of teams or individuals going on runs of victories as they ride the crest of a wave of confidence. Conversely, you’ll see exactly the same patterns in teams and individuals who are struggling, sat it league relegation zones and second guessing everything they do. RTS games see the same patterns, and I’ve experienced them myself many times over.

My advice is to learn to walk away and do something else that will change your mental state and shift it into a positive outlook. Whether that’s a different game; for me Evolve is a great outlet (free on Xbox live this month) and I’m guaranteed to kill and eat a whole bunch of Hunters, which always makes me happy :D. But it can also be watching Pro players on Youtube (check out Slick’s Youtube channel ‘breaking the clutch’ with a recent tournament of Halo Wars 2 games, some spectacular plays that are sure to fill you with cool ideas). Or you know, take your dog for a walk/do whatever it is you enjoy.

I also think it’s important to remember you can affect your opponent’s confidence with how you play. The last couple of days I’ve been taking my opponent’s mini-bases right off the bat, it really unsettles them and I’m never worried about them attacking my base or building turrets because they’re frantically trying to tear it down instead. You’ve shifted the pressure from yourself to them.

Finally, Blaky’s comments about switching leader holds true for sure, so if you do chose to mix it up, I’d advise a few unranked games to get your confidence up first and to get used to their leader powers too.

> 2533274843179500;3:
> Also, if anyone is looking for a teammate I am fairly decent, just unfortunately none of my friends play it

Feel free to add me too > FungusUCantKill
I’m diamond on 1v1 also, but don’t have many friends playing.

And, what part of the game are you mostly losing around? Early or Mid? Late?

If it’s getting out JR’d, I guess turtle like others said. Get T2 before she can hit too hard. I don’t play UNSC much, so it’s hard to say, but definitely scout to see when the rush is coming. The more time you have, the better.

> 2533274843179500;10:
> > 2533274821521504;7:
> > …
>
> Hey man,
>
> So my first 2 minutes are usually like this
>
> -Build gen and upgrade when done/and obtain unsc raid power
> -Build a SP and a JR to scout and collect resources on the other side
> -Build another SP when possible
> -Build gen and upgrade
> -Build last sp
>
> Meanwhile I’m collecting resources, scouting and building some extra marines to take power nodes accordingly. I do take at least one minibase, two if I can.
>
> I used to open up differently, and use a lot of JR (like kizano players) and it definitely worked, but then as I got higher in rank all I versed was mostly kizano and her JR just outmatch others.
>
> Thanks

OK, so first thing I’m seeing is that you’re always going for double generator, this play is popular but it is also very dangerous, for this simple reason:

500supply.

This will prevent you from building extra minibases fast enough, pumping enough marines or scout vehicles.

I’d suggest you do this ONLY if you scout the enemy and catch him turreting up or if he has an empty 5th plot (he’s saving 500 as well) and in that case I think it’s better to rush him.

If you’re already using marines to capture nodes and you do it quite effectively you don’t need a second generator.

If you’re confined to your only base, and forced to turtle then a second generator is good, but only if you have the turrets to defend you.

> 2533274855353246;8:
> Just stop being bad. you should win more after you do that.

Come on man, why would you even type this. HW community is the best community I’ve been a part of, don’t be toxic.

Pick banished, turtle with turrets up to a 120 pop death ball then push once and win. You should be on at least two bases btw.

> 2533274811417927;18:
> Pick banished, turtle with turrets up to a 120 pop death ball then push once and win. You should be on at least two bases btw.

Do you have any idea how incredibly difficult it is to hold a turtle against the UNSC though the early game playing banished to make it this far? This is by far not even close to an “easy wins” strategy.

Add, me I have a mic, and looking for 2v2 player. It’s the only playlist I play. I main Forge. Been having a lot of trouble lately also.