I just can't take it anymore.

I have been playing Halo since Halo 3’s launch. 5 or 6 years, but there are just some players in this game and Halo 4 that make me feel like I practiced all those years for nothing. Sure every once in a while you run into somebody that is more skilled than you, big deal, but in Reach, I honestly just lost about 10 matches in a row, went negative by at least 5 in all of them, and in Halo 4, the same thing happened this morning. Usually I just shake off bad matches, but for every match I lost because of the same exact things.

1.People always run when they get out dmr’d by me.
I understand if you’re getting double teamed or something and you have no choice but to run, but honestly, if me and you meet each other 1 on 1, and I gain the upper hand on you in a dmr duel, and you really run away because you’re scared, that ruins the game for me.

2.If I miss one shot, I lose.
During my losing spree today, I noticed if I ever missed ONE shot in a dmr duel, I would die, this means my opponents did not miss one shot, at all. I hate playing against people like this, I don’t want to be stressing when I play a video game.

3. They always find me first.
No matter what I’m doing, no matter where I am, I am always getting shot from God knows where, because they always found me first. I watch my sensor like a hawk, but it does no good for me. By the time they find me and start shooting me, I’m half dead.

4. Grenades.
I don’t understand this one, it’s like players know exactly my exact spot to throw a grenade and kill me. Also very frustrating.

I’m sorry for going on the forums and complaining about this, but I really needed to vent about this one, just because I make a few mistakes in a match and I’m not a perfect halo player I’m going 4 and 14, 3 and 12, 7 and 15.

Interesting, I’ve played HALO from HALO 2 so pretty experienced. Bought 4, didn’t think it was proper HALO/didn’t like it, and went back to reach.

Interestingly I was terrible at Reach before I played HALO 4, and now I’m much better. Anyway I’ll give you what I would think is advice based on my knowledge on how reach is different to the rest of the series.

1. Well dunno what to say here, it seems you expect them to think they’re going to win and to try and duke it out? I mean there’s no ‘honour’ system that says you can’t run away? Why die when you can live?

2. That’s the cold hard truth my friend, most of the people left on reach are experienced, or total scrublords. My advice is don’t spam the hell out of it like you would on HALO 4 or the BR on HALO 3.

I’m sure you already know this but I’ll say anyway. The DMR is four shots to remove the shield, then 1 shot to the head or 3 to the body. I tend to fire rapidly until I see their shields blink out, then carefully aim a headshot, like properly 1 second aiming if necessary.

1. The biggest thing about reach, and why I love it. The huuuuuuge open maps. Outflanking is a huge huge thing in Reach in my opinion, seeing as most people have 100% accuracy, often the first to shoot wins, especially if you aren’t on their screen when you hit them. Especially if you’re playing BTB or slayer regular, don’t rely on your radar when you can see a longer range than your radar. Haemmorage being a classic example, I snipe so many people who simply have nowhere to run to because thye’re on top of a huge green hill with no cover. So on that topic, stay clear of no traffic zones, experienced people will always be looking there.

2. Well, I guess one thing to mention is remember to change direction often and jump occasionally, other than that, learn how to use grenades.

Now I’m hardly a ‘pro’ at HALO but I seem to get comfortably high in my recent games so maybe this will help?

I have been been feeling the exact same way! Reach is definitely more unfair than Halo 4 is. Especially since I get more betrayals than ever on Reach.

define “unfair” the weapons are certainly more balanced in Reach which… well seems fair to me.

What makes you think it’s unfair? Everything has a counter in Reach, unlike 4

By unfair, do you mean reach isn’t as ACCESSIBLE as Halo 4 is?

I’ve been playing Halo since the CE days. I hate H4, doesn’t feel like a Halo and I’m only interested in continuing the story (which is a sad reason to play an online multiplayer game). My best advice to you, 1) Treat every life like it’s your only one. 2) Do not rely on your radar. That’s a problem for a lot of people. You should use your radar only when you’re planning something (like a flank), or when you’re being followed (you can use your radar to pull a nice ninja, which works well often). 3) Pace your shots and take your time. If you practice playing the game safe and smart, you’ll be nearly unstoppable. 4) Study your opponent and your environment. If he’s running and he’s near a base after you put a few shots in him, try tossing a grenade in the direction he’s going. Don’t follow him, he could be leading you into a trap.

P.S. I’m not an MLG Player, this is how I normally play. I’m always looking for sparring partners, so if there are people who feel like they need to break from some rust or want to understand the game a little more, or just want to know a few tips and tricks. I’ll be more than happy to accompany you :slight_smile:

broski dey r teh mlg pruh

Best advice I can give is slow down, stay calm, and stick with the team.

Across all the Halos I’ve never really ever had huge losing streaks or my performance go down. Been playing Halo since the beginning though so my experience is different than yours.

Halo is much more of a mental game than some players want to admit. If you go in matches feeling frustrated or with a defeatist attitude you will lose. I let nothing bother me and stay neutral as possible regardless of winning or losing. Not getting flustered by some bs death I can stay focused on the goal of winning instead of dwelling on stuff I can’t change.

If you can master your emotions you move to the next step which is by messing with the enemies emotions. People don’t realize how much you can throw off a player by simply shooting their dead body and smacking it as you walk by. I play the mental game with my enemies and make them more and more mad. The less focus they have from being upset/irritated the easier it is to break them down little by little until they start missing more shots in frustration or making silly mistakes getting tunnel visioned on me. I’m the Joker of Halo in every sense of the word. I can’t be reasoned with, bullied, or bought. I will ruin the enemies’ day any way possible to win and if it means messing with their heads I’m all for it.

So stay positive and keep focused and you’ll do fine. Don’t let the losses bother you but learn from them.

This is funny as hell.

1.People always run when they get out dmr’d by me.
I understand if you’re getting double teamed or something and you have no choice but to run, but honestly, if me and you meet each other 1 on 1, and I gain the upper hand on you in a dmr duel, and you really run away because you’re scared, that ruins the game for me.

So basically, you’re saying people should let you kill them instead of taking cover and thinking strategically? If you’re a ‘pro’, then surely you’d do the same?

2.If I miss one shot, I lose.
During my losing spree today, I noticed if I ever missed ONE shot in a dmr duel, I would die, this means my opponents did not miss one shot, at all. I hate playing against people like this, I don’t want to be stressing when I play a video game.

Been like that since H2, don’t understand the complaint

1. They always find me first.
    No matter what I’m doing, no matter where I am, I am always getting shot from God knows where, because they always found me first. I watch my sensor like a hawk, but it does no good for me. By the time they find me and start shooting me, I’m half dead.

Pay attention, look around the map. LOOK at the Motion sensor, that’s what it’s there for. It’s your on fault you don’t have situational awareness

1. Grenades.
    I don’t understand this one, it’s like players know exactly my exact spot to throw a grenade and kill me. Also very frustrating.

It’s not hard to throw. Throw, bounce, boom. AOE weapons do damage in an area.

Essentially, it sounds like you’re complaining about people not playing how you want them to play. You’re like someone who makes a Battlefield server, and kicks people using X weapon becaus eit doesn’t conform to your play style. I have no sympathy.

Since your complaining, maybe try the things that you complain about. Rather than camping and letting people come to you, go to them. Try some grenade throws to weaken them, bang out the rest of their shield, and then aim for the head. If you get injured, run away.If you constantly keep getting beat by DMR’s,keep practicing because almost every advanced player in reach hits every shot.

Try these steps. If your having trouble aiming with your DMR, lower the looking speed. Another good way to practice is in SWAT. If you do well in SWAT, you should be better off.

Just some basic things I’d like to point out about the aforementioned points from the OT from a competitive player’s point of view.

1. (Running when getting out-shot)

It’s a very basic part of halo. It’s called “Staying alive”… If you don’t think you can win that battle, don’t stay in it. Call it out and move on. Think of it as a good thing on your part - they don’t think they can kill you, so they aren’t gonna bother trying, just beware if they did call you out, everyone seems to know the map callouts these days.

1. (Miss one = death)

Go back to point 1. If this is happening to you regularly from the same names, don’t challenge them. You’re not obligated to ever challenge if you don’t think you can win it. Again, call him out and move on. If it’s the missing a shot thing that worries you, knock your sensitivity down by one, it may be too high. Pro’s usually stick to 3/4 sensitivity, but some use 5 and some use 2.

1. (Finding you first)

Just be more aware, after a while you pick up on certain traits and pushes that players normally make. If you prepare for them, you should be able to get into a position to at least get the first shot on. Don’t mistake this for sprinting around a corner to find them already shooting at you, that’ll be your bad for still sprinting while going around that corner. Also, just learn the spawns. On most maps there’s only 3-5 areas a team can spawn. For example, on Asylum, there are 5 places they can spawn are; On their flag, in the rocks, their courtyard (The bit in front their sniper tower), in the sniper tower, and under the turrets. Whereas on a map like countdown there’s the main base, under it, on the back ramps leading outside (And just outside the door), by the small door leading to your base from the big door on the opposite end of the map from outside, and at the top of the map on the highest level. Easy enough, it’s basic elimination - if they died there, just spawned there last time or you are stood there, they can’t spawn there.

1. (Grenades)

Punish them for throwing a grenade - in the time it takes them to throw one you can get 3 DMR shots in easily, and depending on if you’re playing MLG/Zero Bloom or not, 3 shots means only further 1 melee will kill them. At range, just jump out the way. Easy enough.

Sorry for the nerdy, patronising rant, but it’s a lot easier than you think to fix it.

> If you can master your emotions you move to the next step which is by messing with the enemies emotions. People don’t realize how much you can throw off a player by simply shooting their dead body and smacking it as you walk by. I play the mental game with my enemies and make them more and more mad. The less focus they have from being upset/irritated the easier it is to break them down little by little until they start missing more shots in frustration or making silly mistakes getting tunnel visioned on me. I’m the Joker of Halo in every sense of the word. I can’t be reasoned with, bullied, or bought. I will ruin the enemies’ day any way possible to win and if it means messing with their heads I’m all for it.

I hate it when I kill a player several times due to sheer skill and strategy, then they by luck find me in a split-second moment of weakness, kill me, and -Yoink!-, shoot, or melee my body like they think they’re so tough. It irritates the heck out of me and I’ve always thought of it as complete childish behavior.

You’ve changed my mind though. I’ve always thought of Halo as being much more mental than anything, but I’ve never, ever thought about messing with my enemies’ heads. I’m going to try that now and see how it goes.

> By unfair, do you mean reach isn’t as ACCESSIBLE as Halo 4 is?

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. Reach is a bit harder to grasp, but not complicated like CS by any means.

I been playing Halo since Evolved, I enjoyed each and every game. Rated all games Five stars.

Combat Evolved, and Halo Two
Great campaign, really boosted my imagination as a kid. Same thing goes for Halo 2, I enjoyed the campaign and would ALWAYS like to roleplay as an elite with my little brother as a kid on system link.

Halo 3, ODST, and Wars
This was when I started to look into the elites a bit more through the campaign and multiplayer. After a week of playing these games, I finally decided that the elites were my favorite character of all time. Sure, people in general think anything but a human is ugly, but I honestly think they are pretty cool!

Halo Reach
This was when I really enjoyed playing as elite, sure I was disappointed with the fact that I couldn’t play as an elite much on Halo Reach, but custom games and firefight was the way to go.
The Campaign was fun, enjoyed completing challenges!

I still play Halo Reach today, and love assassination tower.

Halo Four
If I were to /LOVE/ halo four, I would’ve totally abandoned my favorite character. 343 did a terrific job with spartan ops, matchmaking, and campaign, but I hated the fact that they took out the elites. I rarely play Halo Four.

> 1.People always run when they get out dmr’d by me.
> I understand if you’re getting double teamed or something and you have no choice but to run, but honestly, if me and you meet each other 1 on 1, and I gain the upper hand on you in a dmr duel, and you really run away because you’re scared, that ruins the game for me.

LMFO. are you yoinking serious. Are you yoinking seriously trying to say people should just let themselves get killed instead of trying to save their situation?

Dude,… what shall I say man. Im laughing over here.

/Edit; after reading it all, to me it seems like you are a bad player, no offense. Practise more and take all the critism into consideration. If you don’t, you are not allowed to complain.

> I have been playing Halo since Halo 3’s launch. 5 or 6 years, but there are just some players in this game and Halo 4 that make me feel like I practiced all those years for nothing. Sure every once in a while you run into somebody that is more skilled than you, big deal, but in Reach, I honestly just lost about 10 matches in a row, went negative by at least 5 in all of them, and in Halo 4, the same thing happened this morning. Usually I just shake off bad matches, but for every match I lost because of the same exact things.
>
> 1.People always run when they get out dmr’d by me.
> I understand if you’re getting double teamed or something and you have no choice but to run, but honestly, if me and you meet each other 1 on 1, and I gain the upper hand on you in a dmr duel, and you really run away because you’re scared, that ruins the game for me.
>
> 2.If I miss one shot, I lose.
> During my losing spree today, I noticed if I ever missed ONE shot in a dmr duel, I would die, this means my opponents did not miss one shot, at all. I hate playing against people like this, I don’t want to be stressing when I play a video game.
>
> 3. They always find me first.
> No matter what I’m doing, no matter where I am, I am always getting shot from God knows where, because they always found me first. I watch my sensor like a hawk, but it does no good for me. By the time they find me and start shooting me, I’m half dead.
>
> 4. Grenades.
> I don’t understand this one, it’s like players know exactly my exact spot to throw a grenade and kill me. Also very frustrating.
>
>
> I’m sorry for going on the forums and complaining about this, but I really needed to vent about this one, just because I make a few mistakes in a match and I’m not a perfect halo player I’m going 4 and 14, 3 and 12, 7 and 15.

I’m not sure where the issue lies? You have the ability to do the same things that are being done to you, so what is this unfairness that you speak of? I could understand if you were limited, but just do the same things your opponent is doing and it should equal things out.

> /Edit; after reading it all, to me it seems like you are a bad player, no offense. Practise more and take all the critism into consideration. If you don’t, you are not allowed to complain.

Lol. Best advice ever: “you’re just a bad player. All you need to do is get better.” I’m gonna write that down.

Whenever I play against a player that destroyed me and I want to know how, I save the film and go back into it later to watch what he did. Sometimes I learn a cool jump, or I see that he pursued when I would’ve retreated, etc. Other times, it really just comes down to the better players never missing a shot, which is something that will only come with time and practice.

quote:

“Other times, it really just comes down to the better players never missing a shot, which is something that will only come with time and practice.”

Unless, off corse, you play MM in Halo 4, where “players never missing a shot” means that the other team has the host and the guy you are shooting is not actually there, but assassinating you…or loosing the DMR duel (because I am not really shooting the guy, I m shooting the place where he was 4 seconds ago)…

And that, my friend, is the reason I came back to Reach.

Oh, that and to say that the ugliest helmet in Reach is awesome, compered to te best helmet in H4. There, I said it.

[deleted]