I hope you haven't forgot about your UI 343

Here is a bug I’ve encountered regarding what division I was for slayer. While I am a platinum 3 as indicated by the medal, the promotion screen says I am diamond.

In general however, 343 still has some fixes to accomplish for the UI to be intuitive with the players. My biggest issue is how the multiplayer lobby only shows the emblems of the players within the lobby on the screen, so you can’t view a person’s gamertag (and therefore their service record) and whatever team he or she will be on. I shouldn’t have to rely on the scoreboard when I’m loaded into the game to find out who is even in my lobby, let alone who is in the same team as I am.

Another issue is how any forge map randomly selected in whatever playlist/game mode you’re on only shows the forge canvas to represent their map, meaning that I have to rely on memory for whatever map I’ll play next based on their name. It is especially frustrating when more than 2 maps were made in the same canvas so I have to try extra hard to remember which map is which. 343 needs to screenshot a picture of every forge map featured in matchmaking and put whatever screenshot that represents the map the best be implemented whenever a random forge map is chosen.

Leave your thoughts on anything else that 343 can improve on, like the main menu screen (IMHO).

> 2533274968707582;1:
> Here is a bug I’ve encountered regarding what division I was for slayer. While I am a platinum 3 as indicated by the medal, the promotion screen says I am diamond.
>
> In general however, 343 still has some fixes to accomplish for the UI to be intuitive with the players. My biggest issue is how the multiplayer lobby only shows the emblems of the players within the lobby on the screen, so you can’t view a person’s gamertag (and therefore their service record) and whatever team he or she will be on. I shouldn’t have to rely on the scoreboard when I’m loaded into the game to find out who is even in my lobby, let alone who is in the same team as I am.
>
> Another issue is how any forge map randomly selected in whatever playlist/game mode you’re on only shows the forge canvas to represent their map, meaning that I have to rely on memory for whatever map I’ll play next based on their name. It is especially frustrating when more than 2 maps were made in the same canvas so I have to try extra hard to remember which map is which. 343 needs to screenshot a picture of every forge map featured in matchmaking and put whatever screenshot that represents the map the best be implemented whenever a random forge map is chosen.
>
> Leave your thoughts on anything else that 343 can improve on, like the main menu screen (IMHO).

I agree and I think these are all valid points.

> 2533274883939210;2:
> > 2533274968707582;1:
> > Here is a bug I’ve encountered regarding what division I was for slayer. While I am a platinum 3 as indicated by the medal, the promotion screen says I am diamond.
> >
> > In general however, 343 still has some fixes to accomplish for the UI to be intuitive with the players. My biggest issue is how the multiplayer lobby only shows the emblems of the players within the lobby on the screen, so you can’t view a person’s gamertag (and therefore their service record) and whatever team he or she will be on. I shouldn’t have to rely on the scoreboard when I’m loaded into the game to find out who is even in my lobby, let alone who is in the same team as I am.
> >
> > Another issue is how any forge map randomly selected in whatever playlist/game mode you’re on only shows the forge canvas to represent their map, meaning that I have to rely on memory for whatever map I’ll play next based on their name. It is especially frustrating when more than 2 maps were made in the same canvas so I have to try extra hard to remember which map is which. 343 needs to screenshot a picture of every forge map featured in matchmaking and put whatever screenshot that represents the map the best be implemented whenever a random forge map is chosen.
> >
> > Leave your thoughts on anything else that 343 can improve on, like the main menu screen (IMHO).
>
>
> I agree and I think these are all valid points.

Thanks for your compliments.

Compared to some other fixes these seem to be very minor. I don’t care about the pre game lobby, checking stats or teams, etc. The pregame video gives you a fly by of the map so you should be able to figure out what map you’re on with that. This seems like a minor tweak and not a major fix.

> 2533274815582829;4:
> Compared to some other fixes these seem to be very minor. I don’t care about the pre game lobby, checking stats or teams, etc. The pregame video gives you a fly by of the map so you should be able to figure out what map you’re on with that. This seems like a minor tweak and not a major fix.

Even if you don’t care about these very basic UI components which are a part of most modern games nowadays, they are borderline elementary mistakes. It is humiliating for 343 to get something like this wrong and unfixed 7 months into the game, especially when halo reach existed to give them an idea of how they should build their UI. Your lack of consideration for functions like these doesn’t excuse a AAA studio in messing up on problems that are completely avoidable.

I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.

> 2533274815582829;6:
> I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.

The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.

> 2533274968707582;7:
> > 2533274815582829;6:
> > I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.
>
>
> The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.

Yet everyone complains that 343 makes their game too much like other games. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see this as crucial and nothing presented has made me think differently.

> 2533274815582829;8:
> > 2533274968707582;7:
> > > 2533274815582829;6:
> > > I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.
> >
> >
> > The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.
>
>
> Yet everyone complains that 343 makes their game too much like other games. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see this as crucial and nothing presented has made me think differently.

That complaint is in regards to game play, not UI. I think you’ve taken the community’s idea of “being too much like other games” in EVERY aspect. It’s okay to adopt previously used ideas if they can compliment the halo experience and as long as halo isn’t simply following the bandwagons of certain gameplay.

> 2533274815582829;8:
> > 2533274968707582;7:
> > > I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.
> >
> >
> > The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.
>
>
> Yet everyone complains that 343 makes their game too much like other games. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see this as crucial and nothing presented has made me think differently.

Are you really so supportive of 343 that you would just ignore everything wrong?

> 2535449665894532;10:
> > 2533274815582829;8:
> > > 2533274968707582;7:
> > > > 2533274815582829;6:
> > > > I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.
> > >
> > >
> > > The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.
> >
> >
> > Yet everyone complains that 343 makes their game too much like other games. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see this as crucial and nothing presented has made me think differently.
>
>
> Are you really so supportive of 343 that you would just ignore everything wrong?

I honestly don’t know his mentality, but I just hope that 343 really continues to update the UI so no more threads need to be made about this.

They seriously need to improve their UI

> 2533274974449340;12:
> They seriously need to improve their UI

This is probably the most important thing they need to fix.

I found the same thing… Diamond/Platinum are reversed in the rank-up animation. HOW does something like that slip through the cracks?! Lol

same bug happened to me it had diamond 3 as the rank and platinum 3 in writing. I’m pretty sure that you go by the medal as that’s what it says in the arena menu and what all my friends say it says as well.

> 2533274815582829;8:
> > 2533274968707582;7:
> >
> >
>
>

In that video you can clearly see how much more user friendly the Reach UI is compared to the Halo 5 UI. It’s simple to navigate, it offers more information and offers actual useful information. It is clearly a better designed interface and from a user perspective having that interface give you useful feedback, like showing the gamertags in the lobby, and if they have mics or are in chat is clearly a better experience for the user over “oh hey, here are some random emblems on your screen with no useful information about them”.

We aren’t talking about 343i making their games just like every other shooter. We are talking about a feature of Halo, that was very well done in previous games and only improved upon with each release, all of a sudden taking a huge step backwards in its design. Little touches of polish add greatly to the overall experience. And these types of issues are in MCC too. Clearly 343i have to step up their UI game.

> 2547348539238747;16:
> > 2533274815582829;8:
> > > 2533274968707582;7:
> > > > 2533274815582829;6:
> > > > I honestly don’t see what you lose by not having this. It doesn’t take away from the experience or game play whatsoever. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don’t see it as crucial. Especially going 7 months without it.
> > >
> > >
> > > The reason why I am making an emphasis on these components of a proper UI based on this video is because if they are not properly addressed, 343 is bound to make those same mistakes again and have us restart the cycle of player feedback. Not to mention how incompetent it makes them look when their experience and the example of other games isn’t enough to make a compelling and intuitive UI for you to play the game and such.
> >
> >
> > Yet everyone complains that 343 makes their game too much like other games. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see this as crucial and nothing presented has made me think differently.
>
>
> In that video you can clearly see how much more user friendly the Reach UI is compared to the Halo 5 UI. It’s simple to navigate, it offers more information and offers actual useful information. It is clearly a better designed interface and from a user perspective having that interface give you useful feedback, like showing the gamertags in the lobby, and if they have mics or are in chat is clearly a better experience for the user over “oh hey, here are some random emblems on your screen with no useful information about them”.
>
> We aren’t talking about 343i making their games just like every other shooter. We are talking about a feature of Halo, that was very well done in previous games and only improved upon with each release, all of a sudden taking a huge step backwards in its design. Little touches of polish add greatly to the overall experience. And these types of issues are in MCC too. Clearly 343i have to step up their UI game.

Thanks for explaining our perspective of halo reach’s UI compared to halo 5 better than what I attempted. It is greatly appreciated.

> 2533274873580796;14:
> I found the same thing… Diamond/Platinum are reversed in the rank-up animation. HOW does something like that slip through the cracks?! Lol

The medal itself is the exact same however, it’s just the text that represents my ranks which changes oddly enough.

> 2533274968707582;1:
> Here is a bug I’ve encountered regarding what division I was for slayer. While I am a platinum 3 as indicated by the medal, the promotion screen says I am diamond.
>
> In general however, 343 still has some fixes to accomplish for the UI to be intuitive with the players. My biggest issue is how the multiplayer lobby only shows the emblems of the players within the lobby on the screen, so you can’t view a person’s gamertag (and therefore their service record) and whatever team he or she will be on. I shouldn’t have to rely on the scoreboard when I’m loaded into the game to find out who is even in my lobby, let alone who is in the same team as I am.
>
> Another issue is how any forge map randomly selected in whatever playlist/game mode you’re on only shows the forge canvas to represent their map, meaning that I have to rely on memory for whatever map I’ll play next based on their name. It is especially frustrating when more than 2 maps were made in the same canvas so I have to try extra hard to remember which map is which. 343 needs to screenshot a picture of every forge map featured in matchmaking and put whatever screenshot that represents the map the best be implemented whenever a random forge map is chosen.
>
> Leave your thoughts on anything else in regards to UI that 343 can improve on, like the main menu screen (IMHO).

The UI bug with ranks has been noted by the team, hopefully we’ll see it patched soon or in the next DLC drop :slight_smile:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics/ranked-animation-glitch/229ef528-1538-445f-9e32-073eebecf1a4/posts?page=1#post3