i hope 343i doesn't force people to read novels

What I mean is other newcomers to the series won’t have to read spin off and novels to understand core storyline. I know that those things exist to supplement richness of Halo universe, but that doesn’t mean 343i can be neglect about storytelling.
As much as I love Halo storyline, I can see where complaint about past Halo storytelling comes from. Halo 2 and 3 were hard to understand for many people because some were not explained in detail. (ex. only humans can activate the rings.)
I hope they explain things from the novels(Forerunner saga) in case some people do not understand the story.

> What I mean is other newcomers to the series won’t have to read spin off and novels to understand core storyline. I know that those things exist to supplement richness of Halo universe, but that doesn’t mean 343i can be neglect about storytelling.
> As much as I love Halo storyline, I can see where complaint about past Halo storytelling comes from. Halo 2 and 3 were hard to understand for many people because some were not explained in detail. (ex. only humans can activate the rings.)
> I hope they explain things from the novels(Forerunner saga) in case some people do not understand the story.

Novels aren’t Spin-offs of anything. + they have better story than the games.

[deleted]

> What I mean is other newcomers to the series won’t have to read spin off and novels to understand core storyline. I know that those things exist to supplement richness of Halo universe, but that doesn’t mean 343i can be neglect about storytelling.
> As much as I love Halo storyline, I can see where complaint about past Halo storytelling comes from. Halo 2 and 3 were hard to understand for many people because some were not explained in detail. (ex. only humans can activate the rings.)
> I hope they explain things from the novels(Forerunner saga) in case some people do not understand the story.

How were Halo 2 and 3 hard to understand? It was made clear that only humans could activate the Halo rings. In addition, back in those days, the books were often disconnected from the games, with Bungie having minimal involvement with their creation.

To address your concerns, 343 had made it clear that while the books and games will have strong connections, neither will be required to understand the other.

I recall 343 directly saying that you would not have to read the books in order to follow Halo 4’s story.

> Christopher Lloyd will come and shove a book down your throught!
> Anyway what’s wrong with reading? The series has always been integrated with the books. Newcomers usually don’t notice. They make up their own assumptions.
> They’re missing out if they’re not reading.

This pretty much.

The Halo books are a chore to read. They’re really not all that good.

Lore elitists are the worst sort of Halo fan. I sure as hell don’t want to read through juvenile novels just to understand a videogame plot.

> Christopher Lloyd will come and shove a book down your throught!
> Anyway what’s wrong with reading? The series has always been integrated with the books. Newcomers usually don’t notice. They make up their own assumptions.
> They’re missing out if they’re not reading.

this. Bravo.

They’ve said that the novels will only enhance your understanding of the story, but the story in the new trilogy will still make sense even if you haven’t read the book.s

That being said, the novels are fantastic and I recommend them.

> The Halo books are a chore to read. <mark>They’re really not all that good.</mark>
>
> <mark>Lore elitists</mark> are the worst sort of Halo fan. I sure as hell don’t want to read through juvenile novels just to understand a videogame plot.

Not that good? Several have become New York Times best sellers. Sorry you didn’t like them

And then “Lore Elitists”? I have never encountered anyone like this. Elitism in Halo is exclusive to the multiplayer.

> The Halo books are a chore to read. They’re really not all that good.
>
> Lore elitists are the worst sort of Halo fan. I sure as hell don’t want to read through juvenile novels just to understand a videogame plot.

I’ve read all of the books so far except the 2 Evolutions one and currently reading Primordium. Although i kinda agree that it’s not super awesome read, it still adds meat to the bone and, for me, it make the in game story more interesting. that’s my 2 cents on that…

[deleted]

I think the books are the best part. You play the games, and when you finish Combat Evolved through 3, your like “Ok. Awesome story.” When you read the books, then play the games through again, you understand so much more. If anything, the books will tie into the new trilogy, old and new. Not just the Forerunner Saga and the Post-war series, but every other novel and comic. If they introduced Blue Team into the new trilogy, those who have read the books will understand the connection better, however, depending on how they introduce the characters in the new trilogy if they are going to be in it, then either the game players are going to understand it, or they’re not, and thats too bad for them.

-Yoink- that they should be left completely in the dark mwhahahaahah

> > The Halo books are a chore to read. They’re really not all that good.
> >
> > Lore elitists are the worst sort of Halo fan. I sure as hell don’t want to read through juvenile novels just to understand a videogame plot.
>
> Either you haven’t read Eric Nylund’s trilogy or your name is Richard Tyler.
>
> •How did Johnson survive Halo after being attacked by the Flood?
> •Wtf is Cortana talking about on Crow’s Nest?
> •Is Halsey Jorge’s mom?
> •Why are the Covenant at war with humanity anyway?
> •Why aren’t there other Spartans with the Chief?
>
> All of these answers and more can be answered by reading a good ol’ book. Don’t like reading a book? Then I feel sorry for you.
>
>
>
>
> Though Primordium is 90% BORING.

I would love to read this books, But then im in school i dont have enough time to read them, im really curious of some of the questions you showed above.

> > What I mean is other newcomers to the series won’t have to read spin off and novels to understand core storyline. I know that those things exist to supplement richness of Halo universe, but that doesn’t mean 343i can be neglect about storytelling.
> > As much as I love Halo storyline, I can see where complaint about past Halo storytelling comes from. Halo 2 and 3 were hard to understand for many people because some were not explained in detail. (ex. only humans can activate the rings.)
> > I hope they explain things from the novels(Forerunner saga) in case some people do not understand the story.
>
> How were Halo 2 and 3 hard to understand? It was made clear that only humans could activate the Halo rings. In addition, back in those days, the books were often disconnected from the games, with Bungie having minimal involvement with their creation.
>
> To address your concerns, 343 had made it clear that while the books and games will have strong connections, neither will be required to understand the other.

I am not sure where it was made clear about that fact. It wasn’t like Monitor saying “Only humans can activate Halo.” We got the idea by seeing Tartarus forcing Miranda to do it.

I am glad that 343i confirmed that. As much I would love to see more Halo stuff, future Halo games need to more storytelling friendly.