I have real concerns for the music

Listening to the latest dev diary, I’m very worried about the musical design they appear to be going with.

I hope this music isn’t representative of what we’re going to hear in the finished game. It’s that awful generic Hans Zimmer sound which is all the rage at the moment - every friggin’ summer movie sounds like this - the style is so dreadfully interchangeable and bland; Marty O’Donnell will not approve, and neither will any scoring fan with an ear for texture and originality. Listening to this trailer music I ask myself, where is the character? Where is the soul?

If you think this music sounds “fine”, well watch just about any movie trailer doing the rounds right now and notice how depressingly similar and indeed - interchangeable, the music you hear is to the music we’ve heard so far from Halo 4. It’s by-the-numbers ‘epic’ - all gloss and no depth. It’s not enough to be merely “fine” - it ought to be mesmerising.

Bring back the traditional style and timbre of orchestral scoring; move away from this lifeless wallpaper synth - it’ll ruin the heart of Halo.

> Listening to the latest dev diary, I’m very worried about the musical design they appear to be going with.
>
> I hope this music isn’t representative of what we’re going to hear in the finished game. It’s that awful generic Hans Zimmer sound which is all the rage at the moment - every friggin’ summer movie sounds like this - the style is so dreadfully interchangeable and bland; Marty O’Donnell will not approve, and neither will any scoring fan with an ear for texture and originality. Listening to this trailer music I ask myself, where is the character? Where is the soul?
>
> If you think this music sounds “fine”, well watch just about any movie trailer doing the rounds right now and notice how depressingly similar and indeed - interchangeable, the music you hear is to the music we’ve heard so far from Halo 4. It’s by-the-numbers ‘epic’ - all gloss and no depth. It’s not enough to be merely “fine” - it ought to be mesmerising.
>
> Bring back the traditional style and timbre of orchestral scoring; move away from this lifeless wallpaper synth - it’ll ruin the heart of Halo.

I know a member of the Kojima productions team is working on the audio for Halo 4 , that’s more than enough faith for me , as they’ve scored time and time again with epic music that fits perfectly into they’re games.

And Halo Reach IMO , ruined the heart of Halo , I’m just hoping that Halo 4 brings it back to life again.

I hope it doesnt go back to reachs style of music. The only good music i enjoyed in reach was the bit at the begging cutscene in Lone Wolf… right before they killed six…

Halo 2 and 3-ODST had the best music of any halo game, and i would like that style of music to return. I cant imagine playing halo without the one theme, but i also hope that 343 does something just as awesome or better!

I will however miss Marty O’Donnel, and the lack of the Seige of Madrigal easter egg may kill me. But i trust 343 to match and surpass Bungie, so lets give them the oppurtunity shall we?

I’m going to wait for another taste of music before I form an opinion.

I’m sure they will get good music!!

What do you mean “Dev Diary”? Do you mean the “Making of” trailer?

If it actually WERE Hans Zimmer making the soundtrack (which I doubt it is), then I’d have no problem with it. I love his work. But yes, he has a different style than Marty, which makes sense. Hans does a lot of movie scores and the like while Marty has really only worked on video game scores. They’re usually different.

However, if you’re talking about the final version of the “Working at 343” ViDoc that was leaked but officially released yesterday, I actually quite enjoyed that music in the background.

I’ll hold judgement until we find out who the composer is and get a taste of some other songs.

EDIT: For those of you who haven’t seen the ViDoc, HERE it is.

I thought it sounded amazing, and in the “Making of” trailer it was even better, especially in the beginning.

> .

About the music um yeah sorry I was more dumbstruck about the new footage hence the drooling princess face LOL! But still, what Little I can remember hearing I honestly thought it was Alright. Not great, but still had awe inspiring halo feeling that I know and Love!

I, too, thought that it sounded really… normal.

> I, too, thought that it sounded really… normal.

Is that a bad good or indifferent normal?

I think it sounded awesome!

I think the music is the least of your concerns and that was probably just a little part of the music so don’t judge quiet yet.

> > I, too, thought that it sounded really… normal.
>
> Is that a bad good or indifferent normal?

That’s using the word normal in a negative way. I honestly didn’t even notice the song the first time I watched the video. I thought it was just some background music. It doesn’t sound unique in the slightest.

> I think it sounded awesome!

You deserve a “Thank you” :slight_smile:

@Leftycakes@ You make me sad :frowning:

That sounds pretty good to me, the beginning at least.

> If it actually WERE Hans Zimmer making the soundtrack (which I doubt it is), then I’d have no problem with it. I love his work. But yes, he has a different style than Marty, which makes sense. Hans does a lot of movie scores and the like while Marty has really only worked on video game scores. They’re usually different.
>
> However, if you’re talking about the final version of the “Working at 343” ViDoc that was leaked but officially released yesterday, I actually quite enjoyed that music in the background.
>
> I’ll hold judgement until we find out who the composer is and get a taste of some other songs.
>
> EDIT: For those of you who haven’t seen the ViDoc, HERE it is.

It wasn’t leaked at all, Vic DeLeon from 343 Industries tweeted it out.

^^I’m talking about when it was released prior to the “Making of” ViDoc being released. Every video I saw on YouTube said it was leaked. It was about 3 weeks ago.

> > If it actually WERE Hans Zimmer making the soundtrack (which I doubt it is), then I’d have no problem with it. I love his work. But yes, he has a different style than Marty, which makes sense. Hans does a lot of movie scores and the like while Marty has really only worked on video game scores. They’re usually different.
> >
> > However, if you’re talking about the final version of the “Working at 343” ViDoc that was leaked but officially released yesterday, I actually quite enjoyed that music in the background.
> >
> > I’ll hold judgement until we find out who the composer is and get a taste of some other songs.
> >
> > EDIT: For those of you who haven’t seen the ViDoc, HERE it is.
>
> It wasn’t leaked at all, Vic DeLeon from 343 Industries tweeted it out.

343i released the piece from the video? Link?

You do understand that not all the music will be the same as what you have heard, don’t you? Just because you don’t like one piece from a selection of music doesn’t mean you won’t like the other pieces.

I think it is more important that the music fits into the campaign. Listening to the music on it’s own doesn’t give the ability to judge that.