I have had it with "quit" bans

Tonight I will have played and completed one game over a 40 minute span, due to being banned multiple times for connection issues (which I’m pretty sure aren’t on my end, because I usually don’t have many. Most of the times I exit a match midgame it’s because of a bug that made it freeze and/or crash).

The first game I joined I never even got to load into. For some reason the loading bar was extremely slow and the other players never even showed up. It disconnected, and took me back to the main menu. I tried rejoining that game, as prompted, three times, and every time the same thing happened. After that, I gave up on joining that match.

Then I found another game, and finished it. After that, I was banned for 2 minutes. Annoying, but not a huge deal. I wait, then find another game that I play most of, but then when the game’s nearly done there’s connection issues, and it says finding a new host, but then I’m disconnected and back to the main menu.

And then, when I went to try rejoining that game, I can’t, because now I’ve been banned for 15 minutes! Perhaps it had already ended, but still–15 minutes, when I haven’t quit a single game!

This has been an issue for way too long. It’s extremely unfair for players like me who hardly ever quit to be punished for circumstances outside of our control. (It’s also unrealistic given MCC’s current population, and how one-sided most matches end up being, but that’s another issue)

The system needs to change, so that either the bans can differentiate actual quitters from people who disconnect or crash, or bans are less stringent so players who disconnect/crash aren’t punished for it.

The rejoin system is a step in the right direction, but as tonight proved to me, it’s not a step far enough, if this ridiculousness can still happen.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

There seems to be a serious flaw with the rejoin system and ban system interactions. It was discussed in another thread and I really hope 343 responds and clears up this interaction.

Say I’m in a 4v4, and 2 of my teammates quit.
I leave, making it a 1v4. Im allowed to do this without being banned, since more than 50% of my team left.
My 2 teammates that quit at the beginning of the game come back before my final teammate leaves.
The game ends as a 3v4, with me being registered as the only person to “leave”.

It seems today that I would be retroactively banned, since the game ends and its detected that I was the only leaver. This was reported by other users asking why they were banned after a game they finished (which they queued for BEFORE the game they “left” had finished/resolved).

1 Like

5 Likes

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE QUIT BANS FOR SOCIAL MATCHMAKING

True, but with 343 everything has to be competitive. And one doesnt simply leave a competitive match without a ban. Even if its due to a game crash or connection loss.
Also thats why theres strict sbmm in social/casual MP.
I remember a ViDoc or interview with the MP designer from Bungie, explaining that he had to heavily alter the trueskill algorithm for H3 and Reach to create a fun experience. And og H3 and Reach MP were much better balanced and more fun than they are in MCC

6 Likes

4 Likes

I bet the rejoin system is being exploited… Players probably get a map they don’t like or whatever, so they “quit” then rejoin right before the game ends so it wont count as a quit… Clearly the rejoin feature needs to be adjusted. I would say if half the team is gone for most of the match the players who didn’t rejoin shouldn’t be penalized as a quit. Or maybe the rejoin feature should only be live for the first few minutes or so, if you “disconnect” after that it’s a quit. There really isn’t a truly fair way to make it. It was probably better before… Just keep it when half the team is gone others can quit without penalty, in fact a prompt should come up telling the few players left they can leave without penalty.

And yes there should be bans for social, just because rank isn’t involved doesn’t mean you aren’t ruining the game for others. If you want to be a quitter play FFA, I don’t think they have quit bans in FFA, at least the didn’t before, not sure with this rejoin system.

1 Like

I never quit a game, and have never been banned from one. Maybe stop quitting, and the bans will stop.

Did you even read a single thing I wrote? This topic wasn’t created to be about people quitting (even if that’s what it became, but whatever). I was talking about connection issues removing players from games/bugs that freeze and crash the game in matchmaking. I could probably count the number of matchmade games I’ve quit from on MCC in the 8 years I’ve been playing it on one hand. Yet I’ve been banned many times, always for things outside of my control.

1 Like

Maybe stop quitting, and the bans will stop

You do know that you will also get banned if your game crashes or you get a disconnect, right?
You do know theres a bug that sometimes load you on a blackscreen while the match is running for everyone else, and if you quit out of this you get a ban, right?

2 Likes

We should have a nationwide ban on all drugs. Then people will stop using drugs.

Some things I have found helped with crashes, as I can’t even remember the last time I game actually crashed, #1 hard reset and or make sure other stuff isn’t running or loaded while playing MCC… #2 turn off the H3 custom skins. #3 I use a wired connection for my Xbox, especially when there is an update or whatever, then after update, hard reset.
Hope any of these can help.

2 Likes