I have found reason behind Precursors SPOILER

Its all about the mantle, the forerunners were afraid that the precursors would simply ignore them, that is the sole reason of the Precursor-Forerunner war was who was going to get the mantle.

The Precursors, instead of fighting back the Forerunners, would instead show them, that the mantle does not belong to forerunners, it really dosen’t.
During the events of Silentium, its clear that Forerunners have failed the mantle, not only did they unintentionally destroy an unknown race, but they also, on the edge of existance, almost destroyed humanity (didacts actions not only almost drove humanity extinct, but even after 100,000 years he tried to do it again), they also devolved humanity, making human kind an abomination. This leads to the only logical conclusion, that the whole forerunner flood-war was just a demonstration to show the forerunners that the mantle is not theirs to take care of.

There are a couple of things that can explain the actions of the flood in the games (UEG era). The most important one is that they wanted to test humanity again !

You might ask: But they already have tested humanity ? (AH humans)

Well this is simple to answer. Ancient humanity is almost a completely different species than us, the devolvment of humanity reduced human DNA to a different level, Librarian states that during halo 4 terminals. That is also why the flood did not allow complete destruction of human race, instead only letting them devolve them. That is also why the flood even having only high charity, did not use any precursor artifacts, because humanity was weak, using precursor artifacts would completely destroy them. I am also fairly sure that not all precursor artifacts are destroyed, even tho Path kethona and milky way both got cleared by halo pulses, there must still be left artifacts in intergalactic space (perhaps greater ark ?).

I can back this theory up by the fact that in halo wars, after the forerunner ships were activated, the gravemind on installation 05 was already formed, why didnt they use them ? They had a direct chance to escape not only the shield world, but destroy all the species in the galaxy with those ships. They didnt do it because humanity is too weak for those ships, if they had used them, then the test would not be valid.

TL;DR: Forerunner-Flood war was just a demonstration, Precursors are looking for a guardian of the galaxy or maybe a race to join with ?

What do you think ?

Huh?

The humans survive last time because The flood retreated once the forerunners were hammering down on them and the humans were never to be their target anyway. The true purpose of the flood is to get revenge on the forerunners while gathering all the lifeforms together to reflect on the wrong that was done.

There are no more precursor technologies in this galaxy and possibly the nearby smaller ones.

The humans were to originally have the mantle so there isn’t anything else to prove.

-Grey101

I’m thinking , with all respect , that you should read , or even re-read , Silentium again …

> Huh?
>
>
> The humans survive last time because The flood retreated once the forerunners were hammering down on them and the humans were never to be their target anyway. The true purpose of the flood is to get revenge on the forerunners while gathering all the lifeforms together to reflect on the wrong that was done.
>
>
> ** There are no more precursor technologies in this galaxy and possibly the nearby smaller ones. **
>
>
> ^^The humans were to originally have the mantle so there isn’t anything else to prove. ^^
>
> -Grey101

• Most of our intel on Precursor tech is very insubstantial and wanting . We can’t say no more Precursor tech exists as we don’t know it’s capacity outside of the galactic effects of the Halo array firing : and we don’t know if any exists in slip space ( Star roads are by certainty multi-dimensional ) .

^ Were Humans actually meant to have / inherit , the mantle … Or just to be tested next ?
And did not some ( particularly the vengeful Precursors , and the degenerative powder form ones ) completely abandon the notion of mantle after the indignation of the Forerunners rising up against them ??

This is what I’m loving about Silentium , it’s mystery , it’s uncertainty … That’s so thought provoking and leaves a lot open to interpretation and speculation .

Greg , you’re sci-fi genius :wink:

1.The entire point of using the rings was because they would destroy the flood and precursor structures. we know for a fact the rings destroy them because that was directly stated in silentium

> The nearest star roads in that beam twist, melt, then crumble to fragments, and those fragments … become nothing.

Hence why the star roads were trying to avoid the fire of the ring.

> We announced to your kind long ago that you were not the ones chosen to receive the Mantle, the blessing of rule and protection of life and change that thinks. That blessing was to be given to others.
>
> To those you now call human.

The mantle hasn’t been abandoned the precursor just want to write a wrong and make sure it will never happen again.

> Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us.
>
> All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators.
>
>
> For we cannot cease from creating, but the end of all our creation will be to look into a reflection and see ourselves for the first time.

As Ive said - what of the Artifacts outside of effects of the Halo arrays range ?? .

And what if what we saw in our dimension as being star roads collapsed. ? - Are you in complete agreement with the Forunners guesses on technology that they couldn’t even possibly fathom , and that it was in it’s entirety destroyed ?

And you should seriously consider the use of the word WAS in that Precursor statement . Was to be given to others .

The rest of your quotes added are by their very nature ambiguous and enigmatic and sooo open to interpretation and speculation and by added them to your response I can’t honestly say I know what you’re trying to say or get at ???

Unless you’re a Precursor yourself , you can’t possible state that .

Unless you’re the vengeful type of Precursor who refuses to enlighten lesser beings ?!!! Lol

Why are you assuming there are other artifacts in other galaxies just for that sake? The precursors lived in this galaxy and then tried to live in the large Magellanic cloud. The were attacked in both galaxies and it hasn’t been implied on either side that they lived in other galaxies. I wouldn’t assume that for the sake of assuming or because they must have just because they were advanced.

You are trying to talk about something but it is coming out as nonsense. You can’t just flicker something large from other dimensions with no affect whatsoever. The radiation was said to be multi dimensional and that is fine because we already know of molecules particles (very small) that flicker between dimensions. But you are walking into an entirely different discussion that shouldn’t even be talked about here of all places. look up “quantum mechanics” if you seriously want to know about this.

Stop. I was going to say something until you interrupted me. I was going to give your sister something until you stopped me. I was going to do this until this happened.

It is just English, there was nothing that transpired other than the forerunners attacking the precursors that prevented us from gaining the mantle.

> “This quest to fulfill the Mantle has haunted me my entire life. And for countless millennia, we have failed to realize the one truth that could have saved us from the beginning. The Mantle isn’t to be inherited by the noble, it is to be taken by the strong.”

Which is the sole reason all of this is happening because the forerunners are just too dominant in nature hence why they weren’t to receive the mantle.

Seeing how it was in the book itself i can say it. I just posted where it was stated the purpose of all of this is to reflect. Creation hasn’t stopped and wil never stop. But they want to make sure what the forerunners did will not happen again and they want to understand why it happened in the first place.

If you aren’t even going to seriously try to understand what is being written then i don’t see why i should waste my time trying to talk to you.

Quick question - how was the Mantle going to be given to humans over 10 million years ago? We weren’t even walking upright at that time, if I recall my anthropology class correctly. Or is 343 now throwing out humanity’s entire evolutionary history??

EDIT: maybe this explains how ancient humans got to space so quickly in the Halo lore after evolving out of Africa - Precursors gave us some help?

Remember that halo is a game so don’t expect it to seriously line up with everything we know realistically.

Precursors created humans,forerunners and pretty much every race in the galaxy. 10 million years prior to the firing of the rings i assume we were at a tier 2 if not one stage seeing as the forerunners were the same and got passed up.

That was the librarian and just natural human ingenuity. it was said in silientium that we pretty much recovered from being de-evolved in less than 1,000 years.

> In this familiar environment, my humans thrived. In fact, they demonstrated an astonishing, almost supernatural resilience. To the shock of my Lifeworkers, the reverted humans bred to more and more advanced forms over just a thousand years, diverging into distinct varieties like a bush blooming with a thousand brilliant flowers. Their numbers grew as well, from thousands to hundreds of thousands to millions.
>
> I could not explain this effect. I sought for it in their genetics, and found nothing. Was there something else at work here-something that had somehow remained hidden from us?
>
> My humans soon gathered into bands, tribes, villages. Tilled the soil and raised crops. Took wolves and goats and sheep, cattle, birds, and charmed them into domestication. Made many tools, developed crude trade and industry.
> Within a thousand years, some of them reminded me of the Lord of Admirals.

> The mantle hasn’t been abandoned the precursor just want to write a wrong and make sure it will never happen again.
>
>
>
>
> > Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us.
> >
> > All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators.
> >
> >
> > For we cannot cease from creating, but the end of all our creation will be to look into a reflection and see ourselves for the first time.

I think there are some problems with this. The finality of the statement, that “never again” shall life rise up against the Precursors, kind of implies that the Mantle has been scrapped. The Precursors learned from their mistake and will never give that kind of authority to a “lesser” race again. “Endless grayness shall be their lot”

The point of the Flood, it seems to me, is two-fold: cause endless suffering, and unify life so that eventually the Precursors will regenerate to their old selves. Hence the “see ourselves for the first time.” They’ve replaced the Mantle with pain and misery, and not just for forerunners

@Bias - You’re very closed minded aren’t you .

Well , we know that the Primordial spoke of the Percursors that fled well beyond the reach of the ancient Forerunners ( who only made it to Path Kethona ) where creation continued .

You don’t suppose they went there devolved and without technology do you ??

And what of the ships that were sent back with the powder ??

For all your condescending talk of me not reading and understanding what’s written … I won’t divulge you any retaliatory measure because I feel you like conflict a little to much .

Yes , the little of what the Forerunners understood , in the dimensions they had knowledge of , radiation and causality ans percieved reality and quantum and whatnot … Were destroyed … I’m not disputing that … But I am that all artifacts were destroyed in there entirety because we just don’t know that !
Hell , forerunners had those artifacts around them for time and having studied them thoroughly , could only surmise they were ‘dormant’ ??! Well , that was spot on wasnt it .

You’re talking about a god like omnipotent species and insisting that in all certainty the Forerunners assumptions and reasoning on them were correct ( when even the Forerunners themselves in Books stated they understood extremely little .

You see it all in black and white when really it’s 5 BILLION shades of grey !

The mantle clearly hasn’t been scrapped if they were still intent on creating other races. Just because there is a phase of punishment doesn’t mean it will always be like this forever. These beings existed before our universe even formed, you are seriously trying to tell me that they just quite and gave up after one incident? This is just a period in time.

If it weren’t specifically aimed at the forerunners then they wouldn’t have left the humans alone along with the galaxy as brought up in the novel.

> Lifeworkers calculated that given its virulence and adaptability, the Flood should have overcome our entire galaxy within a few hundred years.

> The words of the Primordial. The more-than-implied threat. The alteration in behavior of the Flood in the later stages of the human wars … as if somehow a disease, a hideous perversion of life, could play favorites and turn away from one set of victims to focus on Forerunners.
>
> Vengeance.

> And I had known beyond any shadow of doubt that humans were on the verge of annihilation.
>
> Only the threat of the Flood itself could have forced me back from utterly extirpating humanity. And that was how the Flood had saved humanity from our wrath: by first infecting, and then withdrawing, and so implying humans knew of a way to combat or avoid the disease. An astonishing strategic feint, one I cannot help but admire.
>
> Favored by the Flood!

Except those are the Didact’s words, with his usual obsessive focus on humanity. The “catalog” chapter where the Gravemind speaks through it doesn’t specify in the same way. And it is said many times that the Flood is devouring other species - the “vengeance” is limited to Forerunners, yes, but the suffering and unity isn’t.

> You’re very closed minded aren’t you .
>
> Well , we know that the Primordial spoke of the Percursors that fled well beyond the reach of the ancient Forerunners ( who only made it to Path Kethona ) where creation continued .
>
> You don’t suppose they went there devolved and without technology do you ??
>
> And what of the ships that were sent back with the powder ??
>
> For all your condescending talk of me not reading and understanding what’s written … I won’t divulge you any retaliatory measure because I feel you like conflict a little to much .
>
> Yes , the little of what the Forerunners understood , in the dimensions they had knowledge of , radiation and causality ans percieved reality and quantum and whatnot … Were destroyed … I’m not disputing that … But I am that all artifacts were destroyed in there entirety because we just don’t know that !
> Hell , forerunners had those artifacts around them for time and having studied them thoroughly , could only surmise they were ‘dormant’ ??! Well , that was spot on wasnt it .
>
> You’re talking about a god like omnipotent species and insisting that in all certainty the Forerunners assumptions and reasoning on them were correct ( when even the Forerunners themselves in Books stated they understood extremely little .
>
> You see it all in black and white when really it’s 5 BILLION shades of grey !

Just because i don’t agree with you doesn’t make me close minded and i haven’t stooped to that low bar by calling you that just because you don’t get what i am saying. I just don’t like to play the game of anything is possible" whenever i have an idea i like that somebody counters.

Are you talking just to talk or are you actually factoring information given in silientium? The forerunners destroyed everything precursor they could find and what was left is what would later be known as ruins. These are what they couldn’t destroy yet can be destroyed with the intense radiation from the halo rings. I don’t understand why you are trying to use path kethona as an example when there was a massive forerunner extermination fleet there that removed every trace of precursor technologies other than those that were tier zero.

The only thing i have stated in these conversation that could even be considered condescending is when i pointed out that particles were small. But if you were following what i was saying you would see i pointed that out because the size is the sole reason why they can flicker between dimensions therefore i was explaining and not condescending. That went hand in hand with you trying to say that the large structures could do that which i said they couldn’t without having an affect and then suggesting you look up quantum mechanics if you are seriously trying to talk about that stuff.

And you shouldn’t try to get all emotional when i give a blunt response when i am trying to have a conversation with you and reply by getting all “lol” “i don’t see how you would know that” when i am talking my time to support myself with quotes from the book. I wasn’t getting all emotional and upset with you so i wouldn’t try falling back to that point just because i don’t agree with you and am providing a different point of view and support for it. This is a forum, i don’t understand why people want to post on a forum but get upset any time somebody doesn’t agree with them and has an understanding of what they are talking about. Not to mention you are the one talking about “close minded” while i haven’t said anything of the like to you. so please stop trying to play the victim card and just take the conversation for what it is.

I don’t even understand what you are trying to say with the artifacts statement.

There technology has been explained to work on neural physics which run on organic and in-organic particles/materials. That is the exact reason intense radiation destroys them. That isn’t hard to understand and that was explained.

I don’t “see it” in anything. I am going off what is in the books and the context/theme it is written in. I have read and know a lot about lovecraftian horror so I understand the ethics and mindset of the precursors based off past readings. Those higher ethical settings are my personal specialties in talking about and interesting nonetheless.

> Except those are the Didact’s words, with his usual obsessive focus on humanity. The “catalog” chapter where the Gravemind speaks through it doesn’t specify in the same way. And it is said many times that the Flood is devouring other species - the “vengeance” is limited to Forerunners, yes, but the suffering and unity isn’t.

> Their law includes the necessity of violating the very nature of law … And so they created the Flood to allow themselves the pleasure of watching, at a later date, the progress of their most violent and aggressive creations …

Possibly, but even so it is just this galaxy and it isn’t something to last forever.

I can’t see at which point you perceived me becoming emotional , I certainly didn’t .

Your opinion yes ?? Well you didn’t state it as a opinion , but rather than actual facts .

> I can’t see at which point you perceived me becoming emotional , I certainly didn’t .
>
> Your opinion yes ?? Well you didn’t state it as a opinion , but rather than actual facts .

The only thing i would possibly budge on is the precursor discounting the mantle post and even then that was due to what spring said. Not to mention you were the one to quote me first so don’t get mad.

> What do you think ?

I think you need to go back and read Greg Bear’s Forerunner trilogy, more specifically; Halo: Silentium.

> > I can’t see at which point you perceived me becoming emotional , I certainly didn’t .
> >
> > Your opinion yes ?? Well you didn’t state it as a opinion , but rather than actual facts .
>
> The only thing i would possibly budge on is the precursor discounting the mantle post and even then that was due to what spring said. Not to mention you were the one to quote me first so don’t get mad.

‘I ain’t mad at cha’ . To quote tupac .

All I’m asking is us to ponder is that it’s highly likely that the ancient forerunners only ever pursued , with view to annihilating , the Precursors as far the Path Kethona . They stopped there , maybe thinking they had accomplished their task .

But … Those ships containing the powder came from a source didn’t they ??

And that source could easily send other technology / artifacts back no ?

Also I just surmised the opinion of them abandoning the handing down of the mantle because of the use of the past tense verb ‘was’ .

Thats all? It didn’t seem liek that’s what you were trying to say and that was directly stated in the book so…

Obviously they were established in that galaxy before the forerunners reached them. It must have taken some time to assemble such a force not to mention the traveling time. Remember that the ships were automated as well.

You don’t even know what the source was. It could have been other precursors that chose to go dormant instead of degenerate. For all we know they sent the ships then went to sleep. The milky way is the focus because that was their home.

It is in “past tense” because those events were to happen in the past.