I have a possible fix for aim

I’ve made a very exciting discovery that I would love to have confirmed if anybody has the time to play with their gaming set-ups. I’ve been a long time halo lover and the only reason I have two, yes two, xbox’s is to play h5 with the wife. I’ve always been the dominant player among my friends no challenge. I have absolutely sucked at halo 5, my instincts are good, but I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn and my life does depend on it. No patch has touched the sheer jerkiness of the reticule. I found myself avoiding the game and my xbox in general so friends wouldn’t invite me to play. Yesterday I was moving things around and found an older 19in lcd monitor so i hooked it up to avoid lugging the bigger tv’s around. I AM A GOD! Like can’t miss wrecking fools on matchmaking. Switch back to tv, boom drunken toddler! Two xbox’s 3 controllers consistent results. My theory is the processing lag on standard high def tv’s and aim acceleration magnify each other, but on a faster refreshing monitor aim acceleration feels like butter. 343 please allow the option to turn aim acceleration off for those without the money to go buy another screen!

Interesting - that could certainly explain why there have been such different accounts of the state of aiming. For me, I’ve not had a problem with it but I have had my Xbox hooked up to a monitor so perhaps my setup works better than a large TV.

100% agree mate. I was playing on my 46’ lounge room tv and sucking bad. Got demoted (or promoted) to the spare room from the wife. Got a monitor and holy -Yoink- balls! ALL my shots register now, got 4 perfects in one game last night and only got 10 kills (8 deaths, playing Onyx and Diamond).

The difference is incredible, almost like it should be a minimum system requirement for Halo 5.

I’ve been playing with a 23in 60hz monitor that’s about 6 years old, I feel my issue is the deadzones, the reticle movement feels sluggish and clunky, even at high sensitivities, I’ve played from a 2 sensitivity to 7 sensitivity, I’m at 4 now, I can’t find a good sensitivity. I did have a lot more trouble playing on my friend’s 32" tv. my isn’t terrible, but nowhere near as good as previous games. I just don’t want acceleration and deadzones need toned down, which I hope to be able to change in the coming update.

my issue is the diagonal aiming and strafing

the magnetism is so freaking high that when i am tracking them and they strafe behind cover my reticle loses the magnetism and jumps up and away like 30 feet

so frustrating to get reoriented

It depends on what kind of TV you got, I got a Philips 4K TV (2000 Euro).

Ha! You guys are hilarious. Halo 5 aiming is perfect IMO. You guys are experiencing something called controller lag. What it really is… Monitor lag or a low refresh rate. It’s not the size of the screen you are using but the refresh rate of the screen itself. Older LCDs didn’t require a higher refresh rate because they weren’t pushing any boundaries which is the reason your old lcd is working better. I still use my first Vizio pics from like 8 years ago for halo because newer monitors always have that lag. That’s why some monitors have a “game” display setting. If you have one try it. Sometimes it helps a little bit sometimes it helps a lot.

You need atleast 120hz refresh rate.

I use a 19" inch screen myself and yes I find it easier than on larger tvs

Playing on the monitor, I will agree that the aiming is perfect. But not everybody has a monitor. Ten years ago I’d have asked mommy and daddy for a new one for Christmas and tell everybody who couldn’t afford one to suck eggs. Not sure I could explain to my son why a new tv is so important when I have triple screens already in the living room. 343 needs to consider the multiple aiming options for the different tv set-ups or they are going to exclude a decent population of tv gamers.

I wonder if the aim acceleration everyone is feeling is just each individual over compensating for the delay of their monitor/tv.

if there is a long delay on a large screen then people wont be getting the outcome they expect since Small Motions on the Thumb stick translate into tiny motions of the Reticle, Large motions of the thumbstick translate into Slightly faster reticle speed. But since people with larger screens have more delay, when they move the thumbstick 5% it probably feels like nothing is happening. so they press it to much and have their reticle flying all over the place, when the problem is their screen.

I play on a 21 1/2 inch monitor at 10 sensitivity since i feel it gives me the greatest control when making small adjustments. I havent had any problem with aim acceleration. I wish it were faster.

> 2533274816788253;9:
> I use a 19" inch screen myself and yes I find it easier than on larger tvs

The size of the screen isn’t as important as the refresh rate. The 49 plasma is smoother than the slightly older 42, which is almost unplayable.

> 2535420765945594;12:
> > 2533274816788253;9:
> > I use a 19" inch screen myself and yes I find it easier than on larger tvs
>
>
> The size of the screen isn’t as important as the refresh rate. The 49 plasma is smoother than the slightly older 42, which is almost unplayable.

larger screens tend to have a slower refresh rate. it plays a role.

Everyone I saw that made a post complaining about it pre-patch were only yelling our their refresh rate on their display, but never did I see one person (and still don’t in this thread) is the response time on the display (different from refresh rate). Pre-patch it was terrible on my big screen (At least, but perfect on my computer monitor. I was hoping the update wouldn’t affect anything but it totally messed it up for me. It’s so hard to aim steady now. Went from playing on 4 to always switching back and forth between 2 and 3.

Did they turn off or decrease the aim assist as well?

> 2757114414746787;13:
> > 2535420765945594;12:
> > > 2533274816788253;9:
> > > I use a 19" inch screen myself and yes I find it easier than on larger tvs
> >
> >
> > The size of the screen isn’t as important as the refresh rate. The 49 plasma is smoother than the slightly older 42, which is almost unplayable.
>
>
> larger screens tend to have a slower refresh rate. it plays a role.

The fact of the matter though is that computer developers had much less to worry about in this regard when designing a game. Refresh rates for xbox one players around the world are all going to vary so console developers have to factor that into whatever mechanics they are designing at the risk of excluding willing to buy but don’t have the right tv customers.

My tv is 60hz 40 inch should i change or will that be fine? I have a smaller monitor to just wondering if worth it.

> 2533274885506317;16:
> My tv is 60hz 40 inch should i change or will that be fine? I have a smaller monitor to just wondering if worth it.

This is very much a tv vs. monitor issue. Let me be clear on this issue since I’ve seen a few things thrown out. Remember when cable went from analog to digital a few years ago and you had to get a box if you still had a dino tv? This was to cut the cost of everyone with a newer tv having individual converter boxes as older tech faded out. Your tv takes that digital signal and converts it into a picture. How this is done varies across technologies and brands but it takes time to achieve and a universal issue across current tv technology. This is why Best Buy has a wall of tv’s of varying sizes so you can compare how the different brands have perfected their own techniques. Monitors have a much faster signal to screen rate because they depend upon powerful graphics cards to create the picture(as an xbox one does) and the second rendering from a tv is conflicting with the mechanics of aim acceleration. Bigger screens do generally have slower signal to picture rate because of the amount needed to be filled in, unblurred, etc etc but a higher quality larger tv can be faster than a smaller lower quality one. Depending on the tv and what is happening on screen this lag can vary slightly also. Aim acceleration works perfectly on a faster screen because you can achieve the muscle memory. The number one complaint I have read across the board about halo 5 aiming is how inconsistent it is, with no chance to build muscle memory. I have now tested across multiple tv’s of multiple sizes and technologies and not a single one has been playable after feeling the aim on monitors. It’s the difference between 3-8 kills a game to 18-25 in the gold bracket for me.

Just an FYI, most flat screen TVs have a gaming mode that you can enable to get rid of a lot of the pre-processing that is done to improve image quality, which helps with the latency.

> 2757114414746787;11:
> I wonder if the aim acceleration everyone is feeling is just each individual over compensating for the delay of their monitor/tv.
>
> if there is a long delay on a large screen then people wont be getting the outcome they expect since Small Motions on the Thumb stick translate into tiny motions of the Reticle, Large motions of the thumbstick translate into Slightly faster reticle speed. But since people with larger screens have more delay, when they move the thumbstick 5% it probably feels like nothing is happening. so they press it to much and have their reticle flying all over the place, when the problem is their screen.
>
> I play on a 21 1/2 inch monitor at 10 sensitivity since i feel it gives me the greatest control when making small adjustments. I havent had any problem with aim acceleration. I wish it were faster.

I’m playing on an 144 Hz monitor with 1 ms response time with a wired controller and while it does feel a lot better than playing on a TV, the aim acceleration is still a huge problem for me. I’m overshooting simply because in close quarter combat, I’m pushing the stick all the way or almost all the way, which is putting it into “turning mode”.

> 2758454771777780;7:
> Ha! You guys are hilarious. Halo 5 aiming is perfect IMO. You guys are experiencing something called controller lag. What it really is… Monitor lag or a low refresh rate. It’s not the size of the screen you are using but the refresh rate of the screen itself. Older LCDs didn’t require a higher refresh rate because they weren’t pushing any boundaries which is the reason your old lcd is working better. I still use my first Vizio pics from like 8 years ago for halo because newer monitors always have that lag. That’s why some monitors have a “game” display setting. If you have one try it. Sometimes it helps a little bit sometimes it helps a lot.

Ha! You are hilarious. Halo 5 aiming is terrible IMO

FYI, I have 1ms response time for my BenQ monitor. TV was about 25-30.
Wired controller also helps.