I hate to beat a dead horse, but: Fall Damage

This is a very important topic to me. Fall damage has no place in Halo multiplayer, and I am here to defend this claim. The reason being is that there is no logical argument for it gameplay-wise, but there are solid, unbeatable arguments against it. There is not currently a direct, conclusive answer to the question of “Is there fall damage in Halo 4?” Until there is, I will defend the integrity and sensibility of fall damage-less Halo, in hopes that it sways the decisions made regarding a perhaps undecided mechanic.

I will start with the relatively weaker argument: Most Halo players were introduced to Halo with Halo 2 and Halo 3, as opposed to any singular Halo or combination of other Halos. This means that most Halo players are simply used to the uninterrupted flow that the lack of fall damage permits, and anything else would seem foreign and non-Halo. Halo 4 is a continuation of Halo 3 – not a continuation of Halo CE or Reach.

Here is what I find to be the unbeatable argument: There is no logical justification for fall damage, but there is justification for the lack of it. Let me explain; it’s quite simple: A common fallacious statement made when a defense against fall damage is brought up is “It punishes those who run and evade battles.” This isn’t a bad reason in itself, but it doesn’t take into account the fact that you are inherently punished just by falling. One of the biggest advantages to have in Halo is height advantage. Guess what happens when you fall – you lose height. As far as I’m concerned, losing an advantage directly from doing something is known as a punishment or consequence.

That is why the initial statement made for the defense of fall damage is non-compatible; it makes the assumption that without fall damage, a punishment wouldn’t be present, which is obviously false by what I just explained.

Take a look at the following logic: Should people be punished for shooting inaccurately and wasting all of their ammo? No. That makes no logical sense in gameplay. Their punishment for shooting inaccurately is missing their opponent, and their punishment for wasting ammo is not having that ammo which they wasted. You do not punish them two-fold, just as you do not punish a person for losing height advantage or map control (which is known as “falling”), as their punishment is exactly their action.

Thank you, and please discuss.

Completely agree. Fall damage was added in Reach because it wasn’t part of the main trilogy and Spartan III’s were being used (which are less powerful and have weaker armor). To keep it in Halo 4 would make no sense.

Fall damage is in Halo 4, but 343i said it is less damaging then in Reach.

I would like it without fall damage too, but in Halo 4 we will have to adapt. But I am not so much concerned about Fall Damage.

I’m fine with fall damage, but i HATE the little freeze that the spartan does after falling. its soooo annoying. i could live with/without fall damage but i just hate the stun.

> Completely agree. Fall damage was added in Reach because <mark>it wasn’t part of the main trilogy</mark> and Spartan III’s were being used (which are less powerful and have weaker armor). To keep it in Halo 4 would make no sense.

Halo CE would like to have a word with you.

I think this is a topic that can be argued from both points of view very well. The only real way to keep everyone from complaining about it is to just remove gravity period… then we could all complain about starting the game and floating into the sun.

I myself don’t mind either way. I can adapt my gameply for both.

> Fall damage is in Halo 4, but 343i said it is less damaging then in Reach.
>
> I would like it without fall damage too, but in Halo 4 we will have to adapt. But I am not so much concerned about Fall Damage.

I need a direct quote, sorry. It’s been said many times that the builds we’ve seen are everything but final and set in stone.

> I think this is a topic that can be argued from both points of view very well.

I disagree. I’ve yet to see a comprehensive argument for it, besides those regarding canon, which should take a back seat to arguments related to gameplay in a debate regarding the sense (or lack of sense) a mechanic makes in the context of gameplay alone.

> > Completely agree. Fall damage was added in Reach because <mark>it wasn’t part of the main trilogy</mark> and Spartan III’s were being used (which are less powerful and have weaker armor). To keep it in Halo 4 would make no sense.
>
> Halo CE would like to have a word with you.

Alright fine, but after Halo CE they updated the armor as shown by the first mission in Halo 2, and fall damage was gone.

I found an article that confirmed that there will be no fall damage in the game, however many articles that aren’t 343 screw information up many times so this may or may not be final in the actual game. http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7764/article/halo-4-offers-intelligent-spawn-system-randomized-ordinances-no-fall-damage/

I don’t see the problem with fall damage, it not even an issue during gameplay. I like the fact that players are punished for making ridiculous drops.

> I don’t see the problem with fall damage, it not even an issue during gameplay. I like the fact that players are punished for making ridiculous drops.

Did you read the OP? I refuted the argument that it’s not an issue (fall damage is a two-fold punishment, therefore, not sensible) and also refuted the assumption that players aren’t punished without fall damage, as they are – their punishment is falling.

> Fall damage is in Halo 4, but 343i said it is less damaging then in Reach.
>
> I would like it without fall damage too, but in Halo 4 we will have to adapt. But I am not so much concerned about Fall Damage.

I’m hoping the fall damage isn’t much.

There should be no fall damage but there should be fall cooldown. Fall cooldown should be negated by crouching on impact.

> > I don’t see the problem with fall damage, it not even an issue during gameplay. I like the fact that players are punished for making ridiculous drops.
>
> Did you read the OP? I refuted the argument that it’s not an issue (fall damage is a two-fold punishment, therefore, not sensible) and also refuted the assumption that players aren’t punished without fall damage, as they are – their punishment is falling.

But its not an issue if your not making stupid leaps. And I don’t see how your punished for making such leaps without fall damage. If your talking about getting shot while falling it then become the same issue that some people have with the JP in that players rise and fall faster than they can aim. Also JP should be in your consideration for fall damage, imagine Reach’s JP without it, it wouldn’t be pleasant.

> There should be no fall damage but there should be fall cooldown. Fall cooldown should be negated by crouching on impact.

…Why? That’s simply interrupting the flow and ultimately the gameplay for the sake of aesthetics. That’s never a good idea.

Unless you have a reason other than aesthetics that I’m missing…?

> I found an article that confirmed that there will be no fall damage in the game, however many articles that aren’t 343 screw information up many times so this may or may not be final in the actual game. http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7764/article/halo-4-offers-intelligent-spawn-system-randomized-ordinances-no-fall-damage/

that article was incorrect; as their source came from Bravo’s videos
But later on Bravo himself edited one his videos and mentioned in the comment section that he noticed some fall damage

At 1:02

> > > I don’t see the problem with fall damage, it not even an issue during gameplay. I like the fact that players are punished for making ridiculous drops.
> >
> > Did you read the OP? I refuted the argument that it’s not an issue (fall damage is a two-fold punishment, therefore, not sensible) and also refuted the assumption that players aren’t punished without fall damage, as they are – their punishment is falling.
>
> But its not an issue if your not making stupid leaps. And I don’t see how your punished for making such leaps without fall damage. If your talking about getting shot while falling it then become the same issue that some people have with the JP in that players rise and fall faster than they can aim. Also JP should be in your consideration for fall damage, imagine Reach’s JP without it, it wouldn’t be pleasant.

Define “stupid.”

A leap is only a stupid leap if fall damage is present and it’s not net-advantageous. Otherwise, your punishment is simply losing height advantage, which is up to you to weight out the pros and cons of falling for whatever purpose and losing your height.

Fall damage complements and buffs the jetpack. It doesn’t nerf it in any way. It allows players who use the jetpack to have yet another advantage – being able to jump from higher heights due to the ability to cushion falls with the jetpack.

> > There should be no fall damage but there should be fall cooldown. Fall cooldown should be negated by crouching on impact.
>
> …Why? That’s simply interrupting the flow and ultimately the gameplay for the sake of aesthetics. That’s never a good idea.
>
> Unless you have a reason other than aesthetics that I’m missing…?

It just adds an element of skill to falling from great heights.

I’d say the gameplay of Neighbor at 0:58 pretty much confirms fall damage.

> > > There should be no fall damage but there should be fall cooldown. Fall cooldown should be negated by crouching on impact.
> >
> > …Why? That’s simply interrupting the flow and ultimately the gameplay for the sake of aesthetics. That’s never a good idea.
> >
> > Unless you have a reason other than aesthetics that I’m missing…?
>
> It just adds an element of skill to falling from great heights.

How does it add skill? What becomes more difficult to utilize?

Additionally, the prospect of skill should also take a back seat to sensibility of gameplay. I’m sure the game would take more skill if you created a punishment for running out of ammo, but that’s not sensible, as running out of ammo is already your punishment.