I give up

Pardon the wall of text, but Halo4 has become unplayable for me. I’ve tried changing network settings (set the Xbox to be in the DMZ, it still complains about NAT, but shows green/moderate), alternately opened ports and everything I can think of, yet 4 out of 5 games I simply can’t kill anyone, and it’s not because I’m terrible (though I am certainly not a great player by any means), I used to be able to. Lately, no matter what weapon or vehicle mounted weapon (aside from the Warthog railgun in Exile, when you can manage to get that), they simply aren’t affected by my shots or even grenades.

• Opponents manage to drop me with 2/3 DMR shots, yet I can empty my entire clip into someone and they’re fine. Yes, I’m hitting them, at least half of those to the head.
  • Head on fight with Ghosts, I open fire after getting in mine (brand new, no damage), hitting him as he approaches me, he starts firing after half the distance, within a few seconds I’m on fire and destroyed. He’s got no visible damage. ALL my shots were hitting him.
  • Banshee in Ragnarok, I take off, and 3 DMR shots (you can tell they’re not sniper by the sound) all the way from the opposing base and I’m smoking. If I have the sniper and hit one with 3 of those shots, he starts to show damage. If I use the DMR to shoot one, I can empty it and it doesn’t show anything.
  • Turret machine gun, vs stationary Warthog, with the gunner looking the other way; emptied it directly into the gunner. No damage. He turns and starts shooting, I’m dead instantly.
  • Walker (don’t recall the name) often won’t shoot a rocket at all. Shoot one, press the trigger a second time and it has no reaction. Have someone cornered in between two rocks, firing the machine gun and hitting, they live. Shoot a rocket into the gap, SEE it hit them, they live.
  • Using the Banshee, fire a plasma shot from fairly close range from behind an enemy, SEE it hit him, no damage.
  • More often than not there’s someone that knows precisely where you are even though you’d spawned behind cover and hadn’t moved. Definitely feels like wall cheats.
  • Started a game on Exile, opposite the end with the Warthog railgun. Ran to the Warthog with the machine gun turret and jumped on that gun, and about 4 seconds later was hit with 2 rockets from the direction of that railgun. 2 rockets, dead on accurate. In the opening seconds of the game that has no available rocket launchers I’m aware of, much less two, and both pointed at me. It wasn’t JIP, so it was the default loadout and too soon for drops.
  • Not to mention the twits on the same team that grenade vehicles you’re in; I had three do so in Ragnarok in the walker until it blew up, and I’ve had them do so in nearly every map. Be nice to be able to boot these people, but that never comes up.

So, it’s become unplayable recently, and it seems to be more in all the non SWAT modes where it’s the worst. Then there’s the lag in playing Chapters that is horrifying. Downloaded over 2 GBs to play that, and it stalls for several seconds over and over. Have to lead a grunt with your shot because it won’t shoot until 4 seconds after you pull the trigger.
In SWAT I can still manage most games without issue, and getting beaten there is mainly by better players. At least it feels honest, not like what I’ve described above.

Am I alone with these experiences?
Is this still connection (I have 15/2 on RR), and can it be fixed?

Question how much is your internet connection and from what country you are, and some advice let the Nat open

You obviously have some internet issues. My connection is fine a lot of the time and I rarely lag like you are describing.

Soo your internets -Yoink!-… Well as an Xbox exclusive i was expecting Halo 4 to have dedicated servers idk why it dosent.

call your router company and open the ports. other than that call your internet provider and get a new modem. i tried everything when my internet connection was bad. then i called and got a new modem and i have encountered virtually no problems.

Internet problems strike again. I recommend getting a new service provider

Just tested and the report comes back 28Mbps down and just under 2 up (get the impression they make sure testing sites get better bandwidth with traffic shaping, though). That should be plenty. As for changing ISPs, can’t. Where I live there in the US there is only RR for anything faster than dialup. If the modem is fine for everything else, unless RR is messing with game packets there is no excuse for this. I can’t open NAT everywhere because this also has computers behind the router. That would be a bad idea. :wink:

I’m using a Netgear router, and maybe it’s just not good enough. Think I’ll try resetting it to defaults and reconfiguring. Again.

speed means pretty much nothing above 5 MBytes

All about ping bro.

Also, I don’t believe for a millisecond that for some reason when DMR shots are fired at your banshee they all glitch above pre-set values. WAY more than 3. WAY WAY WAY. Are you sure you arn’t being peppered by a whole team? That you didn’t drive into something?

You not alone OP. Its a ping problem.

> I don’t believe for a millisecond that for some reason when DMR shots are fired at your banshee they all glitch above pre-set values. WAY more than 3. WAY WAY WAY. Are you sure you arn’t being peppered by a whole team? That you didn’t drive into something?

That’s all I can see hitting me. 3 shots, and very different from sniper rounds, very much like DMR. If this is glitching of some kind, maybe something is hitting me that I can’t see. All I know is my life expectancy in one is about 15-30 seconds at best.
As for driving into something, if that’s possible from a height nearly at the top of the base (and no, not the base itself), then maybe. Basically, really high up, clear sky, 1-2-3, I’m on fire.

> Just tested and the report comes back 28Mbps down and just under 2 up (get the impression they make sure testing sites get better bandwidth with traffic shaping, though). That should be plenty. As for changing ISPs, can’t. Where I live there in the US there is only RR for anything faster than dialup. If the modem is fine for everything else, unless RR is messing with game packets there is no excuse for this. I can’t open NAT everywhere because this also has computers behind the router. That would be a bad idea. :wink:
>
> I’m using a Netgear router, and maybe it’s just not good enough. Think I’ll try resetting it to defaults and reconfiguring. Again.

Here’s some advice for you. I have a Netgear hub (essentially a router that gets internet from cell phone towers. It’s horrible but its the best I can get in my area. It works except NAT is unchangeable).

First, get your xbox off DMZ. Try to avoid that at all costs.

Then make your xbox have a static IP. You can do that in your console settings. Record the IP address, Subnet & Mask I believe is the 3rd number. Manually enter an IP address for your xbox using the exact same previous Subnet & Mask and IP until the final series of numbers. Say your ip ends in .01 make it unique such as .255 as an example. See bottom

Once manually set, your xbox will keep that IP address and as long as it’s unique enough (this is key) your other PC’s won’t happen to be given that IP when connecting.

Once you have established a static IP for your xbox then! go into your router settings and open all ports microsoft recommends. There is a page for port numbers. Open the ports but under your router setting it will have a setting specifically for IP address. Under this section put in your xbox’s IP so only your xbox (not pcs) will have ports open.

Make sure your UPnP is turned on and any settings asking for NAT specifically turn on (you can even specify this for IP address to I believe). Once all needed settings are on and you have port forwarded the xbox (only the xbox) it should open nat fully and hopefully, make your connection stronger.

I have personally done this on two friends xboxs, nat opens, connection is stable & the pc’s aren’t affected if you use IP addresses correctly.

The actual IP settings (I forgot one of the names) will be IP Address, followed by Subnet Mask then Gateway - just checked. Use the exact same Mask & Gateway and IP up until the final number series. This is just an example but say your IP is 129.1.129.01 - the final “.01” is what you want to change. A unique replacement could be 129.1.129.343

Sounds like a problem on your end. Game plays fine for most players.

I’m in the same boat with you OP the last few nites of MM have been unplayable looks like I’ll be calling my service provider

I suffer the same as OP in 90% of mm games. My internet is very good, broadband in the UK.

All othr games work fine without issues including previous Halo titles, BF3 etc

As mentioned, I’ve tried with and without the DMZ, opened ports, QOS on and off, UPNP on and off, static IP and so on. The combination I’m on right now was a little bit better, with no DMZ, opened ports, UPNP on, QOS off. That will have to do, or I’ll just have to move on from Halo.

> Sounds like a problem on your end. Game plays fine for most players.

Hahahaha. No.

There’s the problem. You’re playing big team. The game has hard enough time keeping decent connection in 5 v 5.

Earlier today there were only a few thousand on line and I believe I finally pulled host. Got in the Warthog with the railgun (with an awesome driver) right at the start and had my best game ever. Ended 53/3, and earned an “unfrigginbelieveable!” medal for 40 without dying. May I say, w00t!, for all conditions being just right.

Keep hoping, folks, a good game is possible!

(from that game on, straight downhill, unfortunately)

> You not alone OP. Its a ping problem.

Say I have over 100 ping, but some of the issues he has, I am having… hardly doing damage, yet being taken easly… now the way he describes it happens alot more often to him, then it does to me… for me it happens more often in Grifball then anything else. So could it be the person I am hitting/shooting is lagging?