I feel CSR is working

Before CSR I felt like everything was too easy, the players I was matched with sucked 90% of the time.

After CSR I have actually gotten close matches similar to how Halo 3’s matches were. I’ve seen a lot of weapon variety as well, as the higher skill players know what their skills are best at. Each game I’ve played have had all four precision weapons used throughout the game, with the BR and DMR being the most used.

The game may not be perfect yet, but CSR has actually changed it wildly, and it is a lot more fun! I commend 343i for trying to fix all the things about the game, and I feel that they are doing a good job!

placebo effect

> placebo effect

I have a different opinion than you. Clearly I’m wrong.

> placebo effect

Right, because CSR wouldn’t possibly be working as intended, he’s just delusional.

/sarcasm

Some of the pros have said it has helped too. It’s an ok system but I want something better for Halo 5.

  1. A true Social/Ranked separation. Not Individual Score/Win-Loss.

  2. Seasons with Leagues and Divisions. Basically I would love a system similar to SC 2 or LoL.

  3. Viewable in game would be nice.

I’ve had matches where the highest ranked person was 46 and the lowest was 1. If that’s CSR working, then I’d rather it wasn’t working.

> I’ve had matches where the highest ranked person was 46 and the lowest was 1. If that’s CSR working, then I’d rather it wasn’t working.

Players are matched on TrueSkill and not CSR.

Everyone has been building up there Halo 4 TrueSkill since day one. If all of a sudden players were matched on CSR it would be akin to starting the whole process over again.

A CSR-46 and CSR-1 can be matched together because they are of similar TrueSkill.

> > I’ve had matches where the highest ranked person was 46 and the lowest was 1. If that’s CSR working, then I’d rather it wasn’t working.
>
> Players are matched on TrueSkill and not CSR.
>
> Everyone has been building up there Halo 4 TrueSkill since day one. If all of a sudden players were matched on CSR it would be akin to starting the whole process over again.
>
> A CSR-46 and CSR-1 can be matched together because they are of similar TrueSkill.

The Trueskill was reset and the CSR for W/L playlists are a reflection of your Trueskill just like Halo 3’s ranks. So for those playlists the system does try to match players of similar CSR. This guy probably was playing one of the Playlists that use Individual Scoring for you CSR.

> The Trueskill was reset and the CSR for W/L playlists are a reflection of your Trueskill just like Halo 3’s ranks. So for those playlists the system does try to match players of similar CSR. This guy probably was playing one of the Playlists that use Individual Scoring for you CSR.

TrueSkill was never reset.

> > I’ve had matches where the highest ranked person was 46 and the lowest was 1. If that’s CSR working, then I’d rather it wasn’t working.
>
> Players are matched on TrueSkill and not CSR.
>
> Everyone has been building up there Halo 4 TrueSkill since day one. If all of a sudden players were matched on CSR it would be akin to starting the whole process over again.
>
> A CSR-46 and CSR-1 can be matched together because they are of similar TrueSkill.

I see your assertion and raise you a citation:

> Matchmaking currently searches for players at your exact CSR for a certain period of time, and eventually widens to accommodate players of larger skill ranges, also based on network connection and other parameters. This being said, we are actively looking into how to improve CSR matching for all playlists.

> > The Trueskill was reset and the CSR for W/L playlists are a reflection of your Trueskill just like Halo 3’s ranks. So for those playlists the system does try to match players of similar CSR. This guy probably was playing one of the Playlists that use Individual Scoring for you CSR.
>
> TrueSkill was never reset.

Quote from Bulletin 4.3.13

“There are two different ways we calculate your CSR. CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill.”

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx

Leads me to think they reset it so CSR isn’t completely worthless.

> I see your assertion and raise you a citation:
>
>
> > Matchmaking currently searches for players at your exact CSR for a certain period of time, and eventually widens to accommodate players of larger skill ranges, also based on network connection and other parameters. This being said, we are actively looking into how to improve CSR matching for all playlists.

Eventually CSR and TrueSkill will be synonymous. I’m extremely surprised to see it written explicitly that CSR is used for matchmaking.

The day before and the day after the CSR release, you wouldn’t have noticed a difference in the skill level of the players you were matchmade with. I’ll still assert that TrueSkill is used (even with posted evidence) to matchmake players, but as time goes by a player’s TrueSkill and CSR will be equivalent - meaning the whole point is moot.

> Quote from Bulletin 4.3.13
>
> “There are two different ways we calculate your CSR. CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill.”
>
> http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx
>
> Leads me to think they reset it so CSR isn’t completely worthless.

CSR is just a representation of your TrueSkill, what other value is it supposed to have? You already had a TrueSkill, it was just invisible - now it is not.

Edit: If TrueSkill isn’t used for matching players - what is it used for?

> > Quote from Bulletin 4.3.13
> >
> > “There are two different ways we calculate your CSR. CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill.”
> >
> > http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/04/03/The-Halo-Bulletin-4313.aspx
> >
> > Leads me to think they reset it so CSR isn’t completely worthless.
>
> CSR is just a representation of your TrueSkill, what other value is it supposed to have? You already had a TrueSkill, it was just invisible - now it is not.

If it didn’t show your Trueskill and wasn’t used to match players then it would have no value, it would just be there.

Given a moment to think about it, and given the posted citation. I will have to concede.

Matchmaking is based on CSR, CSR is TrueSkill, and TrueSkill was reset at the CSR launch.

I still find it unsettling that they would reset TrueSkill after months of gaming. I feel like there should have been more of an announcement and not just a silent reset.

If the game is functionally changed in a significant way i.e. I am no longer being matched with the same TrueSkill opponents I was yesterday - shouldn’t we be the first to know?

> Given a moment to think about it, and given the posted citation. I will have to concede.
>
> Matchmaking is based on CSR, CSR is TrueSkill, and TrueSkill was reset at the CSR launch.
>
> <mark>I still find it unsettling that they would reset TrueSkill after months of gaming.</mark> I feel like there should have been more of an announcement and not just a silent reset.
>
> If the game is functionally changed in a significant way i.e. I am no longer being matched with the same TrueSkill opponents I was yesterday - shouldn’t we be the first to know?

Why? There wasn’t a ranking system so it didn’t undo anything of value.

> Why? There wasn’t a ranking system so it didn’t undo anything of value.

Of course there was a ranking system. Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.

Matchmaking wasn’t just a grab bag of players - it matched them based on TrueSkill.

Before CSR we were matched on TrueSkill. Now we are matched on CSR (Which is TrueSkill).

Matchmaking hasn’t changed, other than the fact we have to start all over again to find matched players.

> > Why? There wasn’t a ranking system so it didn’t undo anything of value.
>
> Of course there was a ranking system. Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.
>
> Matchmaking wasn’t just a grab bag of players - it matched them based on TrueSkill.
>
> Before CSR we were matched on TrueSkill. Now we are matched on CSR (Which is TrueSkill).
>
> Matchmaking hasn’t changed, other than the fact we have to start all over again to find matched players.

I understand that. I meant there was no ranking system we could see and track.

You would have to “feel” that it works, because you wouldn’t have any idea if it really was working…

> > > Why? There wasn’t a ranking system so it didn’t undo anything of value.
> >
> > Of course there was a ranking system. Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.
> >
> > Matchmaking wasn’t just a grab bag of players - it matched them based on TrueSkill.
> >
> > Before CSR we were matched on TrueSkill. Now we are matched on CSR (Which is TrueSkill).
> >
> > Matchmaking hasn’t changed, other than the fact we have to start all over again to find matched players.
>
> I understand that. I meant there was no ranking system we could see and track.

So just because you can’t see something it has no value? It had exactly as much influence as CSR apparently has now, with an equal amount of in-game visibility.

Basically what I’m getting from this thread is, the individual-ranked playlists will be matched more or less just as before (but we had a reset). And competitive playlists will now be matched entirely differently, based on team CSR.

> > > > Why? There wasn’t a ranking system so it didn’t undo anything of value.
> > >
> > > Of course there was a ranking system. Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.
> > >
> > > Matchmaking wasn’t just a grab bag of players - it matched them based on TrueSkill.
> > >
> > > Before CSR we were matched on TrueSkill. Now we are matched on CSR (Which is TrueSkill).
> > >
> > > Matchmaking hasn’t changed, other than the fact we have to start all over again to find matched players.
> >
> > I understand that. I meant there was no ranking system we could see and track.
>
> So just because you can’t see something it has no value? It had exactly as much influence as CSR apparently has now, with an equal amount of in-game visibility.
>
>
>
> Basically what I’m getting from this thread is, the individual-ranked playlists will be matched more or less just as before (but we had a reset). And competitive playlists will now be matched entirely differently, based on team CSR.

No, obliviously it had some value when there was no ranking system, but it had no value in terms of what 343i is trying to do with CSR.

Yes that’s pretty much the gist of it I think.