I encourage you to be innovative 343..

343 I want to start by telling you I commend you for your creation of halo 4, though it may have gotten bad reception for some core fans I do think you had the right ideas and were headed in the right direction.

Upon release I picked the game up at midnight and loved it, so many fresh new experiences with a classic halo feel and subtle familiarity. Your creation was great but not perfect, the longetivity is one thing that is gone for me with the halo franchise. I for one am I multiplayer fan and have enjoyed that aspect of the game in all previous iterations, but with halo 4 I feel like you had these giant ideas but felt limited because of the canon that halo has and the misconception that all halo fans want is the same game as halo 4 with a few new guns and better graphics. Don’t let these haters hold you back, this enormous franchise is completely in your hands and its a great time with this new Gen of consoles coming.

The teaser that was shown at e3 got me so excited for the future of halo but at the same time worried that all of these haters will scare you into remaking halo 2. Don’t be afraid to make the game you want to play, with all of these possibilities that come along with this new hardware I would hate to see the franchise backtrack into simplicity. I hope to see massive scale battles with breathtaking multiplayer environments with enhanced customizability. Don’t let fans tell you new ideas are not welcome because “that’s not halo”, halo will be and is what you say it is and I trust you as fans yourselves to make this series an unforgettable experience.

With my Xbox one preordered as of today, I can’t tell you how excited I am to experience everything 343 has to offer in “halo one.” thank you for all your hard work keep it up

343i are free to make the game any way they want, but if it’s bad, no amount of “ignoring the haters” is going to do anything. Often enough, those “haters” tend to know what’s up.

I’d like classic and infinity playlists, I don’t like multiplayer, but whenever I feel like playing it, I like both and think there should be a choice, just so people won’t complain I’d say it’s a good choice to have the classic option, anyway I’m very excited to see what 343 will add to the next installment of Halo

Also a little tip, paragraphs dude :3 (this websites a little hard on the eyes)

If 343 make another game like or, god forbid worse than Halo 4 then I doubt many people will stick around.

Thinking that a game sucks doesn’t make you a hater btw. It all depends how they present themselves and their arguments.

Please, do be innovative! Every Halo game, from CE to 4, has innovated in some way or another, and in major ways too!

Just innovate in the right areas. Add more competitive features, flesh out the universe and the Chief more (something I though 343i did much better than Bungie with regards to Chief as a character and not simply a vessel). Balance your game, return the map-driven gameplay we all know and love, remove sprint so you have no limitations on map design, and put AA’s on map, not in players pockets from the get-go.

That with good maps and a comfortable level of aim assist and acceleration is the key to Halo multi-player success with this community, I firmly believe that.

Halo and most brilliant games i know are simple at first but get deeper and dont just chuck flashy features at people to pull them in until they realise it doesnt play so well. Lets do a little analysis, Halo Reach, a game that didnt play like a halo game as much as its previous titles… decreased in popularity

Halo 4, again, added even more into the mix that wasnt beneficial to the core halo gameplay… decreased in popularity

However when u analyze the jumps between halo 1,2 and 3, the game increased in popularity each time, i wonder why.

Call of duty, each new release adds little things to the mix, continues to increase in popularity… same with battlefield.

I hope you see where im going with this

I trust where they are going with the story. I hope that the next MM incorporates a in-game ranking system similar to Halo 3’s, seeing as how it was legendary, and I am hoping for them to once again blow us away with graphics.

Fingers crossed!

Halo 4 isn’t traditional.
343I wasn’t held back by appealing to traditional players.
Modern elements are not new experiences, or innovative.
Halo 3 had a smaller population than Halo 2.

> Halo and most brilliant games i know are simple at first but get deeper and dont just chuck flashy features at people to pull them in until they realise it doesnt play so well. Lets do a little analysis, Halo Reach, a game that didnt play like a halo game as much as its previous titles… decreased in popularity
>
> Halo 4, again, added even more into the mix that wasnt beneficial to the core halo gameplay… decreased in popularity
>
> However when u analyze the jumps between halo 1,2 and 3, the game increased in popularity each time, i wonder why.
>
> Call of duty, each new release adds little things to the mix, continues to increase in popularity… same with battlefield.
>
> I hope you see where im going with this

Exactly. I’ll add to that saying not only were things added in Reach and H4 that were not beneficial to gameplay, but core features from H2/3 were also REMOVED in Reach and Halo 4.

Halo was born king of arena shooters in a class based world, and still held king of the hill for years. Now its a class based cross dresser with no true identity.

Halo’s niche is competitive arena based…period. Any other form will lose popularity every time.

I want Halo 5 to be as new as a Halo game ever was. I want them to keep just the very basics of the gameplay and the story and build something fresh on top- not some mainstream shooter with a short campaign and CODish multiplayer (or at least give us an option for non-CODish multiplayer) and I don’t want “classic Halo” either. I want this to be (in terms of gameplay) a sequel to Halo 1 (or 2) more than it was a sequel to Halo 3, Reach or 4. I hope it evolves into a completely new and fresh place built solely on the basics of what Halo always was and is and not an evolution of features we’ve already seen. But its more likely going to be something between Halo 3 and Halo 4 with a few new touches. Which isn’t bad.

While I am relatively new to these forums, my complaints about Halo 4’s gameplay and story… (or perhaps more specifically Spartan Ops plot “issues”) are well known at Spacebattles, but I shall repeat them here in the hopes of reaching a wider audience.

Halo has innovative in only the barest of ways. With the removal of the dual wielding mechanic apparently here to stay, we can now safely say that the only “core” innovations to Halo over the past twelve bloody years has been the addition of the AA’s and an integrated sprint mechanic they’ve been promising us since Halo 2 was in development.

Gameplay wise, it has long since been surprassed by the likes of other FPSs such as F.E.A.R., Timeshift, and the Crysis series. If Halo is to contiue to survive, rather than simply be “Generic Science Fiction Shooter Number Seven Hundred and Eighty Billion” it needs to remember its roots as “Combat Evolved” and take this sucker to the next level.

I want to feel as though I’m playing a super-soldier in a suit of heavily armored, physics defying power armor. I want to be able to do some of the things the Master Chief does in the books (jump 4+ meters vertically, run at over eighty kilometers per hour without breaking a sweat, pick up a four hundred kilogram motor bike and use it as a bloody melee weapon, move so fast that an ordinary human literally cannot follow my movements). I do not, I repeat, not want to feel like a UNSC Marine with a slightly larger health bar.

I want cool, innovative weaponry, not forty flavors of assault rifles and shotguns. Halo 4 was incredibly lazy in this regard. The new Covenant weapons (few that there were) sucked. Exhibit A: The Storm Rifle (so it’s like a plasma rifle, but it’s significantly less accurate, less powerful, overheats faster, and I can’t dual wield it… why in god’s name would I ever pick this gun up?) The Promethean weapons were even worse, as all they are are literally reskinned UNSC guns with glowing orange Tron-Lines and slight tweakings to their mechanics (a sniper rifle that is twice as powerful, but only has two shots instead of four, a battle rifle that becomes a DMR when I zoom in, an M6 pistol without the scope that can function as an extremely poor shotgun in a last ditch emergency situation). Oh yes, and one musn’t forget that despite it being five centuries in the future, the UNSC still uses an obsolete, pump-action shotgun with only 6 rounds. (I really want to go to them, give them an AA-12, and watch minds be blown).

Contrast this, with say, the like of Timeshift’s weaponry. My default weapon is a carbine that not only is accurate and has decent stopping power, but comes with a two-shot underslung grenade launcher. I have a fully automatic shotgun that tears masonry walls apart and reduces people to bloody giblets in moments. I have an assault rifle that has incendiary rounds and a built in flamethrower. Or, heck, F.E.A.R. 1: I’ve got a laser minigun, a pulse rifle that fires a particle beam that turns my enemies into smoldering skeletons, I have a magazine fed automatic rocket launcher. Or Crysis, where I can modify my weapons on the fly as I need to (do I want a shotgun, grenade launcher, or gauss-rifle attachment slung under my SCAR? Do I want to slap a sniper rifle scope on the top of that baby? I can do all of this!)

Better writing: while it is painfully obvious that Halo’s multi-player has been its driving force for a long time, to quote Benjamin “Yahtzee” Crosshaw: “A game with a single player, story driven element must be able to stand on that alone.” This is where Reach completly fell apart. It was obvious that the campaign story wasn’t proofread by anything remotely approaching a competent writer, and it showed with its nonsensical approach, numerous plotholes, and some internal contest among the characters to see who could be the biggest moron in the cast.

Halo 4’s campaign story was an improvement over that, credit where it is due. However, it failed to tie in the expanded universe properly. Those who had never read the Forerunner Trilogy and only known about the Didact through the Halo 3 terminals would have been very, very confused about why the noble, upstanding individual was suddenly so psychotic and wanting to violently murder them, never realizing that there were actually two Didacts, Ur and Iso, and that it was the latter we read about in the terminals, and the former that was doing the impersonation of Darth Vader on us. Likewise with the Storm, it is never made clear that we’re actually fighting a splinter faction of Covenant loyalists that were partially created because of a major ONI screw up post-Covenant-War.

And Spartan Ops… dear, God, Spartan Ops. Clearly this is where Reach’s story writers were sent. A series of moronic wallbangers strung together by more or less utter morons(Palmer, DeMarco, Hoya, etc.) where half the “Drama” is created by everyone having their IQ shifted one decimal point to the left. 343: When there are fanfiction writers (i.e. amateurs not being paid for their work and doing this as a hobby in their spare time) doing a better job with Halo stories than you are, it is a clear sign to you that something has definitely gone wrong somewhere, and your writing team needs to be fired and blacklisted!

In sum: better mechanics and innovative, empowering gameplay (new enemies wouldn’t hurt (and by that I do not mean essentially reskinning an Elite to be a giant, top heavy robot with a single tacked on gimmick)), new and innovative weapons, and a much better story writing team.

Those are just some of the things that Halo desperately needs to do if it wants to get by on anything other than brand recognition and blind fanboyism.

> 343 I want to start by telling you I commend you for your creation of halo 4, though it may have gotten bad reception for some core fans I do think you had the right ideas and were headed in the right direction.
>
> Upon release I picked the game up at midnight and loved it, so many fresh new experiences with a classic halo feel and subtle familiarity. Your creation was great but not perfect, the longetivity is one thing that is gone for me with the halo franchise. I for one am I multiplayer fan and have enjoyed that aspect of the game in all previous iterations, but with halo 4 I feel like you had these giant ideas but felt limited because of the canon that halo has and the misconception that all halo fans want is the same game as halo 4 with a few new guns and better graphics. Don’t let these haters hold you back, this enormous franchise is completely in your hands and its a great time with this new Gen of consoles coming.
>
> The teaser that was shown at e3 got me so excited for the future of halo but at the same time worried that all of these haters will scare you into remaking halo 2. Don’t be afraid to make the game you want to play, with all of these possibilities that come along with this new hardware I would hate to see the franchise backtrack into simplicity. I hope to see massive scale battles with breathtaking multiplayer environments with enhanced customizability. Don’t let fans tell you new ideas are not welcome because “that’s not halo”, halo will be and is what you say it is and I trust you as fans yourselves to make this series an unforgettable experience.
>
> With my Xbox one preordered as of today, I can’t tell you how excited I am to experience everything 343 has to offer in “halo one.” thank you for all your hard work keep it up

So blindly copying COD instead of adding unique features to Halo/ mainstream FPS is putting halo in the right direction?

I want innovation, I don’t want shadow run abilities (reach/4 armor abilities)

And I don’t want the hot hip and trendy features from 2007 call of duty 4.

Return Halo to its trilogy roots and make the changes as drastic as they were ce-3, or expect the trend of decreasing sales and critical acclaim to continue.

> > 343 I want to start by telling you I commend you for your creation of halo 4, though it may have gotten bad reception for some core fans I do think you had the right ideas and were headed in the right direction.
> >
> > Upon release I picked the game up at midnight and loved it, so many fresh new experiences with a classic halo feel and subtle familiarity. Your creation was great but not perfect, the longetivity is one thing that is gone for me with the halo franchise. I for one am I multiplayer fan and have enjoyed that aspect of the game in all previous iterations, but with halo 4 I feel like you had these giant ideas but felt limited because of the canon that halo has and the misconception that all halo fans want is the same game as halo 4 with a few new guns and better graphics. Don’t let these haters hold you back, this enormous franchise is completely in your hands and its a great time with this new Gen of consoles coming.
> >
> > The teaser that was shown at e3 got me so excited for the future of halo but at the same time worried that all of these haters will scare you into remaking halo 2. Don’t be afraid to make the game you want to play, with all of these possibilities that come along with this new hardware I would hate to see the franchise backtrack into simplicity. I hope to see massive scale battles with breathtaking multiplayer environments with enhanced customizability. Don’t let fans tell you new ideas are not welcome because “that’s not halo”, halo will be and is what you say it is and I trust you as fans yourselves to make this series an unforgettable experience.
> >
> > With my Xbox one preordered as of today, I can’t tell you how excited I am to experience everything 343 has to offer in “halo one.” thank you for all your hard work keep it up
>
> So blindly copying COD instead of adding unique features to Halo/ mainstream FPS is putting halo in the right direction?
>
>
> I want innovation, I don’t want shadow run abilities (reach/4 armor abilities)
>
> And I don’t want the hot hip and trendy features from 2007 call of duty 4.
>
> <mark>Return Halo to its trilogy roots</mark> and make the changes as drastic as they were ce-3, or expect the trend of decreasing sales and critical acclaim to continue.

even if it does I hardly see it increasing in popularity, ever since 2009 with MW2 Halo has been a dying breed

> While I am relatively new to these forums, my complaints about Halo 4’s gameplay and story… (or perhaps more specifically Spartan Ops plot “issues”) are well known at Spacebattles, but I shall repeat them here in the hopes of reaching a wider audience.
>
> Halo has innovative in only the barest of ways. With the removal of the dual wielding mechanic apparently here to stay, we can now safely say that the only “core” innovations to Halo over the past twelve bloody years has been the addition of the AA’s and an integrated sprint mechanic they’ve been promising us since Halo 2 was in development.
>
> Gameplay wise, it has long since been surprassed by the likes of other FPSs such as F.E.A.R., Timeshift, and the Crysis series. If Halo is to contiue to survive, rather than simply be “Generic Science Fiction Shooter Number Seven Hundred and Eighty Billion” it needs to remember its roots as “Combat Evolved” and take this sucker to the next level.
>
> I want to feel as though I’m playing a super-soldier in a suit of heavily armored, physics defying power armor. I want to be able to do some of the things the Master Chief does in the books (jump 4+ meters vertically, run at over eighty kilometers per hour without breaking a sweat, pick up a four hundred kilogram motor bike and use it as a bloody melee weapon, move so fast that an ordinary human literally cannot follow my movements). I do not, I repeat, not want to feel like a UNSC Marine with a slightly larger health bar.
>
> I want cool, innovative weaponry, not forty flavors of assault rifles and shotguns. Halo 4 was incredibly lazy in this regard. The new Covenant weapons (few that there were) sucked. Exhibit A: The Storm Rifle (so it’s like a plasma rifle, but it’s significantly less accurate, less powerful, overheats faster, and I can’t dual wield it… why in god’s name would I ever pick this gun up?) The Promethean weapons were even worse, as all they are are literally reskinned UNSC guns with glowing orange Tron-Lines and slight tweakings to their mechanics (a sniper rifle that is twice as powerful, but only has two shots instead of four, a battle rifle that becomes a DMR when I zoom in, an M6 pistol without the scope that can function as an extremely poor shotgun in a last ditch emergency situation). Oh yes, and one musn’t forget that despite it being five centuries in the future, the UNSC still uses an obsolete, pump-action shotgun with only 6 rounds. (I really want to go to them, give them an AA-12, and watch minds be blown).
>
> Contrast this, with say, the like of Timeshift’s weaponry. My default weapon is a carbine that not only is accurate and has decent stopping power, but comes with a two-shot underslung grenade launcher. I have a fully automatic shotgun that tears masonry walls apart and reduces people to bloody giblets in moments. I have an assault rifle that has incendiary rounds and a built in flamethrower. Or, heck, F.E.A.R. 1: I’ve got a laser minigun, a pulse rifle that fires a particle beam that turns my enemies into smoldering skeletons, I have a magazine fed automatic rocket launcher. Or Crysis, where I can modify my weapons on the fly as I need to (do I want a shotgun, grenade launcher, or gauss-rifle attachment slung under my SCAR? Do I want to slap a sniper rifle scope on the top of that baby? I can do all of this!)
>
> Better writing: while it is painfully obvious that Halo’s multi-player has been its driving force for a long time, to quote Benjamin “Yahtzee” Crosshaw: “A game with a single player, story driven element must be able to stand on that alone.” This is where Reach completly fell apart. It was obvious that the campaign story wasn’t proofread by anything remotely approaching a competent writer, and it showed with its nonsensical approach, numerous plotholes, and some internal contest among the characters to see who could be the biggest moron in the cast.
>
> Halo 4’s campaign story was an improvement over that, credit where it is due. However, it failed to tie in the expanded universe properly. Those who had never read the Forerunner Trilogy and only known about the Didact through the Halo 3 terminals would have been very, very confused about why the noble, upstanding individual was suddenly so psychotic and wanting to violently murder them, never realizing that there were actually two Didacts, Ur and Iso, and that it was the latter we read about in the terminals, and the former that was doing the impersonation of Darth Vader on us. Likewise with the Storm, it is never made clear that we’re actually fighting a splinter faction of Covenant loyalists that were partially created because of a major ONI screw up post-Covenant-War.
>
> And Spartan Ops… dear, God, Spartan Ops. Clearly this is where Reach’s story writers were sent. A series of moronic wallbangers strung together by more or less utter morons(Palmer, DeMarco, Hoya, etc.) where half the “Drama” is created by everyone having their IQ shifted one decimal point to the left. 343: When there are fanfiction writers (i.e. amateurs not being paid for their work and doing this as a hobby in their spare time) doing a better job with Halo stories than you are, it is a clear sign to you that something has definitely gone wrong somewhere, and your writing team needs to be fired and blacklisted!
>
> In sum: better mechanics and innovative, empowering gameplay (new enemies wouldn’t hurt (and by that I do not mean essentially reskinning an Elite to be a giant, top heavy robot with a single tacked on gimmick)), new and innovative weapons, and a much better story writing team.
>
> Those are just some of the things that Halo desperately needs to do if it wants to get by on anything other than brand recognition and blind fanboyism.

Thank you for this post. Agree completely.

I agree completely, awesome post.