I don't really understand this about forge.

It’s just that I don’t understand the point of item limits. I understand the point of a budget since when you get near the budget the game gets laggy, but how come we have things like “you can only spawn 50 rocks”. How come I can’t spawn 51? or 100? Hopefully they change this for H5.

i never understood this. hate running out of blocks but still having lots of money left and lots more to build

Well the nextbox is more powerful than the 360, so games will be bigger, more customizable etc etc.

Not sure what the point is either but its probably frame-rate reasons, maybe the next gen will at least double or triple the cap.

Everything always has to have a limit. To not have a limit would be impossible.

> Everything always has to have a limit. To not have a limit would be impossible.

i didnt understand a single word you just said…

> It’s just that I don’t understand the point of item limits. I understand the point of a budget since when you get near the budget the game gets laggy, but how come we have things like “you can only spawn 50 rocks”. How come I can’t spawn 51? or 100? Hopefully they change this for H5.

No, they can’t. Well, with better hardware performance won’t be as much of an issue but it will still be one at some level. Objects are limited in forge because the game has just so much processing power. You can’t have 10,000 rocks, lights, warthogs, or whatever without the game crashing, slowing down to unplayable levels, or in some other respect dying. So, there are limits and they probably represent just how costly it is for the game to run each object type (and what’s a reasonable amount to build something with.) And 50, not 51, because you have to set the limit somewhere.

> > Everything always has to have a limit. To not have a limit would be impossible.
>
> i didnt understand a single word you just said…

Modded maps have, in the past, removed the item restriction. Short answer: it doesn’t lead to good things.

Well since nobody posted a clear answer I will tell you.

LAG

The framerate drops and performance is decreased, the maps that bypass the limit? They’re pretty laggy at times.

Certain Affinity gave you a maximum budget to work with that would still make the game perform like it’s supposed to.

Might as well add that bypassing the limit in Reach was atrocious if the builders used too many pieces.

Did any of you actually read the first post? We all understand its to limit Frame Rate issues due to processing power. I think what the OP is trying to say is that it doesn’t make since to limit your budget to “50 rocks” but still allow you to place 20 window Colosseums/ buildings/ etc. on top of the rocks.

Doesn’t Far Cry have a Frame Rate Meter that tells you when you are starting to push the limits? something like that would make more sense.

I understand why there is a budget. If you could spam thousands of objects the game would crash.

But I don’t understand why they limit specific items. Taking the OP’s example, let’s say you have a $10,000 budget and rocks are each $100. Why does the game limit you to 50 rocks when the budget can support so many more?

2 words-

Polygon Count

> 2 words-
>
> Polygon Count

Yeah, I’ve push those limits to the max to mess with my friends. With 100 blocks, 20 buildings, 50 or so walls, and just one grid, I managed to slow down the game, overload the shadow effect, make all of the blocks flash in and out of focus, make everyone yell at me :smiley:

My question is: Why is it when you save a map, leave (go the main menu), and then come back later, all of the blocks and walls are out of place (it does the same for you when you join a friend’s forge). It’s annoying to have a floor of Colosseum walls. When I leave and come back to the map later, I have to spend 10 to 30 minutes fixing this just so I can walk.
(I think I tried asking this before, a few months ago, but never got an answer).

I don’t see what the problem is either.

Some people have modded maps where there are 500 walls or 256 natural, etc.

And there are no problems at all when this happens.

Simple. Hardware limitations on the 360. Especially with a game like halo 4 that push the 360 to it’s limitations. That’s why forge maps aren’t as big as we want.

once the next xbox drops the processing power will be 16 times as powerful than the 360 if the rumors are true. Which would mean gigantic forge maps + oodles of items to mess around with.