I don't need a ranking system to enjoy Halo

Really it’s the truth. I play Halo because I enjoy it. I don’t need a ranking system as an incentive to win. I don’t need a number beside my name or a rank to motivate me to get to the next rank and it. It seems from a lot of threads on the Halo 4 forums that Reach left everyone to dislike the franchise, and if a core mechanic such as a ranking system doesn’t return in it’s purist form, Halo will fall as a franchise and to it’s rival COD.

I’ve been looking over the ranking system lately and the progression system is Reach, but theres a Halo 3 mechanic here and there. I understand where the competitive players are coming from about that it’s not a proper ranking system, but Halo 3 has it’s flaws in the ranks and Reach had it’s flaws. If we went back to that, the same flaws would be in and people would exploit it the same way. If this is the way the 343 has decided to go with the rank system then they have reason to do it. There wouldn’t have been a Halo 4 if no one took over the franchise and Halo 3 would eventually die out.

But it’s also this generation of gamers and people that are coming to Halo and want more of a competitive aspect. Halo 4,5 and 6 may become a casual shooter because you never know if the competitiveness will die out because those people don’t agree with the rank system, we never know the answer to that.

Look out… I’m ducking… o_O

While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.

> While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.

There wasn’t in Reach but hopefully there will be in Halo 4. I don’t even think anyone has made a thread on this have they?

> > While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.
>
> There wasn’t in Reach but hopefully there will be in Halo 4. I don’t even think anyone has made a thread on this have they?

Any subject relating to ranking systems has been done to death, resurrected, staked, burned, reanimated, and so on, to death. Again.

I can enjoy short bursts of play without a ranking system.

With a ranking system I get constant enjoyment and fun for years.

> > > While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.
> >
> > There wasn’t in Reach but hopefully there will be in Halo 4. I don’t even think anyone has made a thread on this have they?
>
> Any subject relating to ranking systems has been done to death, resurrected, staked, burned, reanimated, and so on, to death. Again.

I don’t think theres been a thread on social playlists though.

tldr…

You make a thread for something you don’t need.

Fine.

Moving on.

> I can enjoy short bursts of play without a ranking system.
>
> With a ranking system I get constant enjoyment and fun for years.

You’ve been in almost every rank system thread I’ve been in. But there are people who can.

(i have said its how they should do it for over a year now)

and it is how they are doing it insert creepy grinof joy that they have a skill based system AND a progression system running simultaneously.

this way casual players can feel a sense of progress by looking at their rank and how much they have unlocked etc.

meanwhile

the more competitive players can enjoy their competitive gameplay because the game is matching people based on how good they play, not an easily manipulated numerical ranking system (cough halo 3’s 1-50 with boosting, de-ranking and ‘stand-by’ abuse to win cough) so the better you play the better your opponents and likewise the worse you play, the worse your opponents but everyone gets a roughly balanced game as far as player skill goes.

> > > > While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.
> > >
> > > There wasn’t in Reach but hopefully there will be in Halo 4. I don’t even think anyone has made a thread on this have they?
> >
> > Any subject relating to ranking systems has been done to death, resurrected, staked, burned, reanimated, and so on, to death. Again.
>
> I don’t think theres been a thread on social playlists though.

because the whole game is 1 big social playlist…

> tldr…
>
> You make a thread for something you don’t need.
>
> Fine.
>
> Moving on.

Something I don’t need?

How the hell was that even long?

That was rude.

> > > > > While I feel similar where I care little for my rank, was it so hard to have a Social/Ranked playlist system? It made perfect sense to me.
> > > >
> > > > There wasn’t in Reach but hopefully there will be in Halo 4. I don’t even think anyone has made a thread on this have they?
> > >
> > > Any subject relating to ranking systems has been done to death, resurrected, staked, burned, reanimated, and so on, to death. Again.
> >
> > I don’t think theres been a thread on social playlists though.
>
> because the whole game is 1 big social playlist…

That was in Reach I agree. We don’t even have any playlist information yet so how can you base your opinion on that?

While I agree with you, there will always be griefers who have to ruin just to amuse themselves. So then companies have to come up with ways to keep the community happy and to keep the griefers from griefing. Thats the challenge though.

If they took away all armor permutations and everyone had the same armor. I’m sure a lot of people would complain about that even more. Thats the same to a ranked system getting taken from people who wanted one.

Why don’t we get rid of the progression system aswell? If you don’t need a ranking system for motivation why have any kind of system? Lets get rid of achievements while we are at it. Lets get rid of all armor unlocks. There should be no rewards for anything.

By your logic. Purely winning a game is enough of an accomplishment.

> (i have said its how they should do it for over a year now)
>
> and it is how they are doing it insert creepy grinof joy that they have a skill based system AND a progression system running simultaneously.
>
> this way casual players can feel a sense of progress by looking at their rank and how much they have unlocked etc.
>
> meanwhile
>
> the more competitive players can enjoy their competitive gameplay because the game is matching people based on how good they play, not an easily manipulated numerical ranking system (cough halo 3’s 1-50 with boosting, de-ranking and ‘stand-by’ abuse to win cough) so the better you play the better your opponents and likewise the worse you play, the worse your opponents but everyone gets a roughly balanced game as far as player skill goes.

This is what I was speaking about, the better you play the quicker you rank up. That mechanic was in Halo 3.

I’m still ducking…

I enjoy Halo gameplay at its core.

But I also enjoy improving my skill, competing against my friends and other players, and seeing where I stack within the community. This motivates me to continue playing even more and it helps me find like-minded players to game with.

The ranking system had its problems, but please don’t tell me that it wasn’t fun, nor that it should be removed because “it’s just a game not a sport”, or whatever the popular excuse is these days.

It. Was. Fun. I loved it, even though I’m not the greatest player. It’s sad to see it go, but I do hope there is some legitimate alternative in the game. It needs that hardcore spirit.

> If they took away all armor permutations and everyone had the same armor. I’m sure you wouldn’t be to happy. That the same to a ranked system getting taken from people who wanted one.

How can you implement the same ranking system and improve it on from it’s flawed counterpart? You cannot improve the Halo 3 system, you cannot upgrade it. It was basically the same as Halo 2’s. The Reach system however was improved because it could be. 343 took what Bungie created and improved on their work. But as I stated, the generation of gamers has evolved with Halo and so has the competitiveness. That is the main problem.

I’ll just leave this here as to why it can be a good thing.