I Don't Like Competition

I repurchased Halo 3 a few days ago.
Here are my thoughts.

Firstly, I’d like to say that Frag Grenades are very over-powered.
Frags are responsible for 2/3 of my deaths.

Secondly, I hate AR starts very much.

And lastly, I’ve discovered that I seemingly don’t enjoy competition.
When I’m playing and winning, I love it.
But when my enemies are providing me with a real challenge, I just want to rip my hair out.

I wasn’t always like this.
I once enjoyed competition, which is why I love Halo 3 so much.

How can I learn to love competition again?

Start tee-bagging everyone, then you’ll get kill and they’ll tee-bag you. At this point you’ll not like their tee-bag on you so you’ll wanna kill them. There! That’s how you start to like competition once again!

> I repurchased Halo 3 a few days ago.
> Here are my thoughts.
>
> Firstly, I’d like to say that Frag Grenades are very over-powered.
> Frags are responsible for 2/3 of my deaths.
>
> Frags aren’t OP, they’re viable. Big difference.
>
> Secondly, I hate AR starts very much.
>
> Eh, not that big of a problem. There are BRs and CCs everywhere with quick respawns.
>
> And lastly, I’ve discovered that I seemingly don’t enjoy competition.
> When I’m playing and winning, I love it.
> But when my enemies are providing me with a real challenge, I just want to rip my hair out.
>
> Sounds like you’ve been playing H4 too much.
>
> I wasn’t always like this.
> I once enjoyed competition, which is why I love Halo 3 so much.
>
> How can I learn to love competition again?
>
> Keep playing.

Responses in red.

> > I repurchased Halo 3 a few days ago.
> > Here are my thoughts.
> >
> > Firstly, I’d like to say that Frag Grenades are very over-powered.
> > Frags are responsible for 2/3 of my deaths.
> >
> > Frags aren’t OP, they’re viable. Big difference.
> >
> > Secondly, I hate AR starts very much.
> >
> > Eh, not that big of a problem. There are BRs and CCs everywhere with quick respawns.
> >
> > And lastly, I’ve discovered that I seemingly don’t enjoy competition.
> > When I’m playing and winning, I love it.
> > But when my enemies are providing me with a real challenge, I just want to rip my hair out.
> >
> > Sounds like you’ve been playing H4 too much.
> >
> > I wasn’t always like this.
> > I once enjoyed competition, which is why I love Halo 3 so much.
> >
> > How can I learn to love competition again?
> >
> > Keep playing.
>
> Responses in red.

And good ones at that.
I play both, I played a bit of H3 before starting H4. While the controls trip me up a little, I usually come out with a pretty positive score. I only rage when my brute shot blade does not kill the sniper when I hit him in the back, he turns, and no-scopes me.

Practice with friends. Play a FFA on Guardian or Heretic and just have fun but be competitive while doing it. Maybe you could also change your play style. Look at yourself in theater and notice all the mistakes you made from that match and learn from them. Learn the callouts and learn good map positioning but most importantly work on that BR shot. It is the most important tool to winning.

Good luck!

Free For All is definitely a good way to clear rust if you hadn’t been on Halo 3 for maybe a few years.

If [kids?] argue about skill when population is low, it’s beyond logical fallacy.

Well, I guess I’ll start with the obvious:

How could frags possibly be overpowered? Halo CE’s were one hit kill, and you spawned with 4, Halo Reach’s had an excessively high blast radius. And Halo 4 allows you to spawn with 3.

The only game with more tolerable grenades than Halo 3’s was Halo 2, and the only reason for that was because you only spawned with 1 grenade.

Anyway that aside, the best way to overcome a dislike of competition is do better yourself so it isn’t an issue as often.

@Vancouva. I can agree with everything except your point about AR starts. AR starts is horrible. The spawn timer on most BRs and Carbines is 30 seconds from the time they were dropped, as opposed to picked up. And on some maps they are excessively rare, especially for 4-5 player teams. Guardian for instance only has one BR and one Carbine. Boundless only has 3 BRs and 3 Carbines, The Pit only has 6 BRs, Construct only has 4. It’s rarely the case that there are even enough BR/CCs for more than half the team to viably have one at a time.

Also, I can’t agree with Avenger V more. Halo Reach and 4 are both missing one key element that made Halo 3 stand out as a competitive marvel: The skill required just to aim your weapon.

Bullet Travel and low aim assist made the BR a weapon you had to fight an uphill battle just to hit a moving target with. Not everyone could do it well enough to land that 4 hit kill. Heck, the vast majority of players struggled to kill in less than 7 or 8 shots in the average engagement. That really set it apart from the hitscan/high aim assist levels in Halo Reach and 4, where 4/5 shotting respectively is very easy to do in most situations. In Halo 3, 4 shotting a player who was running in a straight line (so long as it wasn’t directly toward or away from you) even took practice.