I don't get to play with my friends cause of SBMM in social

This is a horrible idea. Let’s look at this from the perspective of the bottom 10% of players. That means they’re going to consistently get dunked on game after game after game.

This is such a monumentally bad idea.

1 Like

Definitely not an edge case, you can check out this thread if you actually care

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/t/can-social-be-social-again-please/38561?page=8

2 Likes

LOL. Important news. Guy who says “Who cares what he’s thinking” expects me to care what he is thinking, I was being respectful, but disagreeing, while you are being well…

Hey I got ahead of myself, it just felt to me you didn’t care at all about his problem which is very real. I got your points too but it’s still a problem.

1 Like

Same it’s depressing playing by yourself

2 Likes

SBMM when working correctly balances the skill levels out.

It’s clear from how ranked works that rank balances are actually not tuned properly at all.

I think this has less to do with the algorithm’s intention, and more to do with how wonky it actually behaves.

3 Likes

At first glance, it looks like a lot of differing opinions in there as well. I dont play a ton of social, but I am in the same boat as him with being a high Diamond player. Id imagine a bronze/silver/gold level player who is avoiding ranked wants to do is get constantly stomped.

I was the bottom 10% in H3 when SBMM wasn’t a thing and it worked just fine.

3 Likes

Difference being this is a F2P game which is attracting players who potentially havent played Halo before. There is a larger skill gap in this game compared to Halo 3 imo.

Except you don’t get constantly stomped. Halo 3 worked fine.

Want to know how to guarantee you will always get stomped? Have a high diamond or onyx player party up with their friends who are gold/silver. They will always get stomped.

And to make matters worse, in Halo Infinite the non ranked playlists are even more lopsided than if the group tries to go play ranked. Something is messed up and I’m not sure it’s just from SBMM.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what bots are for

1 Like

This is super contradicting cause you can say that about the opposing team getting stomped “assume they will get better and it wont be an issue at some point.”

3 Likes

This is the same situation I was in during h5. Make another account it’s free. This a 343 created issue fun with friends> thinking of the other randos feelings. If sbmm wasn’t as strict than reverse boosting/smurfing wouldn’t be deemed necessary

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to progress in events. That how it all started my buddy got heated cause he couldn’t get his fracture event challenges done in my lobby cause of SBMM so they took a vote and voted me out.

2 Likes

That’s because in halo 3 the settings were way different. Even for ranked it was easier than the tournament (and mlg playlist) settings. In infinite there isn’t enough difference in settings to make it easier for the lowerplayers. The basic gun skill gap in halo 3 was tightened due to the settings of having lower base speed , strafe acceleration, as well as the BR having more spread. The tournament settings were 110 % bms nullify the strafe acceleration, 110 %damage, and shield recharge was decreased to 90% rate.

In infinite the only things that change are the weapons, motion tracker, ammo and a few maps pretty much

I find it incredibly hard to believe that you were actually bottom 10% of players in Halo 3. And second: how do you know that it worked just fine?

What if Bungie had tons of data that showed a trend of bad player retention when a low skilled player constantly gets stomped on by higher skilled players? You can’t say with any certainty that it “worked fine.”

Yep, 343’s games are way harder than Bungie’s in general, cause they basically put comp settings everywhere with little tweaks.

2 Likes

Cause in H3 I was the kid that got stomped all the time in a no SBMM social playlist and I was still having fun cause I was able have with friends of all skill levels. People weren’t getting left out of groups and being alienated because they weren’t good enough or their SBMM is too high in a social playlist. Social use to be a place where someone of high rank can kick it with their buddies that are low rank not worry about trying you know be able to be SOCIAL.

3 Likes

First, anecdotes aren’t data. But let’s go ahead and run with your anecdote. You said that getting stomped over and over because of no SBMM was okay with you because you were having fun with friends of all skill levels. So why is it a problem for your friends that they get stomped all the time because of SBMM even though they’re playing with friends? In both scenarios that you just described, lower skilled players were getting repeatedly stomped by higher skill players, with or without SBMM.

And if you say it’s a consistency issue, in your personal anecdote you said it wasn’t a problem to be losing “all the time” so long as you were with friends.

2 Likes

This right here! Someone is getting the short end of the stick and getting rid of SBMM just shifts who gets it.

1 Like