I Don't Get It.

I don’t see how publicly invisible ranks are going to work.

They serve none of the purposes that ranks in H3 and H2 served. Instead their seemingly sole purpose seems to be to gauge your skill and progress as you play.

Not to mention that I doubt it’s going to stop the boosting that plagued H2 and H3. It’ll lessen it but I still foresee some people getting their OCD on and having to get that TrueSkill 50 even if they are only a 26.

Exactly what we need, another topic about this.

Well it will stop people from bashing others over their rank, as well as people complaining that they got matched with somebody of a higher/lower rank (such as a Colonel being matched with Inheritors in Reach) even though ranks =/= skill.

I totally agree. It’s only going to tone it down, not eliminate it.

> Well it will stop people from bashing others over their rank, as well as people complaining that they got matched with somebody of a higher/lower rank (such as a Colonel being matched with Inheritors in Reach) even though ranks =/= skill.

Why can’t people simply mute those/ignore those who bash them? I really can’t see how this is a problem whatsoever.

First of all, I don’t believe a ranking system was actually confirmed.

I believe Frankie stated the hidden rank system was an example of something they were considering as an option. According to him, MM is still a WIP so nothing is finalized. A hidden ranking system has not been confirmed.

> First of all, I don’t believe a ranking system was actually confirmed.
>
> I believe Frankie stated the hidden rank system was an example of something they were considering as an option. According to him, MM is still a WIP so nothing is finalized. A hidden ranking system has not been confirmed.

Even considering it as an option leaves me confuzzled.

I can see this as maybe and idea that gets pitched at the start but is thrown out.

> Well it will stop people from bashing others over their rank, as well as people complaining that they got matched with somebody of a higher/lower rank (such as a Colonel being matched with Inheritors in Reach) even though ranks =/= skill.

YOU WILL NEVER EVER STOP -Yoinks!- ON XBL, NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO STOP THEM.

There will always be bashers, there will always be boosters, there will always be campers.

343 needs to stop trying to fight unwinnable battles as its only going to keep -Yoink!- off the people who actually play fair.

I want to hear them talk about ways to actually stop cheaters and boosters, not ways to neuter the ranking system.

I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.

> I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.

Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.

> They serve none of the purposes that ranks in H3 and H2 served.

Really? Does “skill-based matchmaking” ring a bell?

> > I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.
>
> Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.

That silly number is fun for me, and many others, to make increase. It gives matchmaking worth, as opposed to it just being custom games with more credits to buy 100% aesthetic armor.

> First of all, I don’t believe a ranking system was actually confirmed.
>
> I believe Frankie stated the hidden rank system was an example of something they were considering as an option. According to him, MM is still a WIP so nothing is finalized. A hidden ranking system has not been confirmed.

^This, completely.

I don’t care that much about rank anyway. As long I my matches are most of the time fair, I’m all good.

> > > I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.
> >
> > Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.
>
> That silly number is fun for me, and many others, to make increase. It gives matchmaking worth, as opposed to it just being custom games with more credits to buy 100% aesthetic armor.

Oh of course, I understand that, I just don’t happen to agree with that point of view.

Maybe it’s because I’m used to playing Halo 1 PC online back in the day, where there was no ranking system and people just had fun playing the game.

Nonetheless, I do see the value of having a ranking system, and I do understand why people would be unhappy without one or without a visible one.

> > They serve none of the purposes that ranks in H3 and H2 served.
>
> Really? Does “skill-based matchmaking” ring a bell?

You don’t need publicly visible TrueSkill ranks to get that.

> > > They serve none of the purposes that ranks in H3 and H2 served.
> >
> > Really? Does “skill-based matchmaking” ring a bell?
>
> You don’t need publicly visible TrueSkill ranks to get that.

That’s what I’m saying. Hiding a 1-50 rank from the player still works fine, in terms of matching similarly skilled players.

Edit: nevermind

> > > I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.
> >
> > Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.
>
> That silly number is fun for me, and many others, to make increase. It gives matchmaking worth, as opposed to it just being custom games with more credits to buy 100% aesthetic armor.

But you are getting that silly little number(or what ever equivalent they make it) it just me or anybody but you can’t see it. You do not require a rank to be seen by others. If this ranking system fairly matches players with others of the same skill, and make winning or scoring the objective more rewarding (which the system is doing both)than the ranking system serves its purpose as thats all it needs to do. Bragging rights is optional not required and seeing how much abuse it got in halo 3 I doubt anyone will get that kind of ranking and honestly should not expect it.

> > > > I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.
> > >
> > > Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.
> >
> > That silly number is fun for me, and many others, to make increase. It gives matchmaking worth, as opposed to it just being custom games with more credits to buy 100% aesthetic armor.
>
> But you are getting that silly little number(or what ever equivalent they make it) it just me or anybody but you can’t see it. You do not require a rank to be seen by others. If this ranking system fairly matches players with others of the same skill, and make winning or scoring the objective more rewarding (which the system is doing both)than the ranking system serves its purpose as thats all it needs to do. Bragging rights is optional not required and seeing how much abuse it got in halo 3 I doubt anyone will get that kind of ranking and honestly should not expect it.

A Visible rank is the most accurate representation of skill that your peers can see. If I want to see how my team is going to fair before the game starts and see which players I should try to help out if they lack skill I will check their rank.

Now I can’t do this.

And if you don’t want people trash talking, make ranks invisible in SOCIAL PLAYLISTS ONLY

> > > > I don’t care if I can see someone’s rank as long as the system matches people correctly.
> > >
> > > Exactly this. I care about having fun, not about a silly number or symbol beside my name.
> >
> > That silly number is fun for me, and many others, to make increase. It gives matchmaking worth, as opposed to it just being custom games with more credits to buy 100% aesthetic armor.
>
> Oh of course, I understand that, I just don’t happen to agree with that point of view.
>
> Maybe it’s because I’m used to playing Halo 1 PC online back in the day, where there was no ranking system and people just had fun playing the game.
>
> Nonetheless, I do see the value of having a ranking system, and <mark>I do understand why people would be unhappy without one or without a visible one</mark>.

I don’t as they are getting a ranking system that is visible to them. Why do I or anybody else need to see, how does that make the ranking system any better?