I don't actually know what 'hitscan' means.

Care to enlighten me?

When your cross-hair is on a target and red, when you pull the trigger the game will register it as a hit, no matter what.

So you mean, how it should work, then?

DMR wasn’t hitscan, correct? What the -Yoink-? That’s when I know to shoot people.

> When your cross-hair is on a target and red, when you pull the trigger the game will register it as a hit, <mark>no matter what</mark>.

Pfft, well, we’ll see. With my internet, anything can happen. O_o

good question. I needed that clarified too.

If it’s not hitscan, bullets have actual travel time through the air, meaning you often have to “lead” your shots.

If it’s hitscan it has no travel time at all, if you’re pointing at your enemy’s head, it will hit their head no matter how fast they’re moving. Assuming that nobody is lagging too bad. Hitscan works better under laggy conditions than having travel time anyways.

Halo Reach was hitscan. (For most weapons, not weapons such as the plasma repeater, needler, etc.)

Halo 3 was not.

> good question. I needed that clarified too.

Hitscan = bullets hit automatically at the point your weapon was aimed
Projectile = bullets actually fly through the map in a certain travel time and will hit anything in their path

> Care to enlighten me?

Take a look at the Needle Rifle and the DMR in Reach. The Needle Rifle is a projectile based weapon, so you have to slightly lead your shots as the needles have to fly through the air. It would be similar to the needler, plasma pistol, plasma rifle, plasma repeater, grenade launcher, plasma launcher, and rocket launcher. Those are all projectile weapons. The projectile has to travel through the air and it will hit with anything in the line of fire.

The DMR is hitscan. It doesn’t matter where you are, the bullet will hit the point as soon as you pull the trigger. The reticule doesn’t have to be red. If it is red, then it will have the aim assist and bullet magnetism help it out.

Hitscan is immediate, while projectile is not.

Am I correct in saying people like hitscan? As in, the majority of whiny- I mean, vocal community members?

Upon some thought, Hitscan vs Ballistic is a better way to describe the characteristis of the weapons.

Afterall, they’re either hitscan-projectiles or ballistic-projectiles. :slight_smile:

noob -Yoink-. that’s all you go to know.

couple hitscan with the fact there is also aim assist and bullet magnetism lol.

competitive my -Yoink-.

Basically you dont need to give lead to a target to hit them. The BR was a hitscan weapon in halo 2, but not in halo 3. The DMR was a hitscan weapon if i recall. Badically there is no need to take into account bullet travel time or aiming infront of the enemy.

IE: Smg is hitscan, sniper, dmr, Turret, Beam rifle. Basically anything un projectile.
Non Hitscan: Plasma weapons except for the beam rifle.

Hit Scan - Bullets travels at the speed of light.

Non Hit Scan - You must shoot ahead of your target to hit them. (Think battlefield)

> Am I correct in saying people like hitscan? As in, the majority of whiny- I mean, vocal community members?

Depends. The halo community, yes, becasue it is somehow more competitive. Battlfeild community, heck no. Ballistic all the way in battlefield.

And trust me, for a majority of the community, you had it right the first time XD.

> Am I correct in saying people like hitscan? As in, the majority of whiny- I mean, vocal community members?

People like hitscan because it has the least amount of problems online. Dealing with bullet travel with lag is nearly impossible, but with hitscan it barely makes any difference. That is the reason we have hitscan.

Quick answer, if the game state between client and server (host) is close enough that I can aim and shoot someone, and have it count as a hit, then that is what we want in Halo. In a hunting or sniping simulation that is based on realism then we can go with the alternative.

Long answer…

Familiar with the basic math used in games? To answer your question I will also explain to you why spread online makes shooting even worst and why people are so pro-hitscan.

Using a simple look-at based camera:

Rays are used to create an infinitely thin and infinitely long line from a source into a direction.

View-vector (camera position - look-at position, normalized) = ray’s direction.
Camera’s position = ray’s origin.

Use this info to perform ray/object intersect with the scene. How this is done is completely game specific and there is no universal right answer and generally you do what works under acceptable performance based on the nature of your scene. But…in simple terms and to answer your question, in games you fire the ray into the scene using some set of data structures and algorithms (again game specific). Fire in this case simply means you do it.

Hit-scan is simply a term used mostly in games to refer to view-vector based intersection test performed in that specific game loop’s iteration’s update. It’s pretty much “here is my ray and I am determining what is the closest object it intersects” (if any). If the ray hits a player (player is closest intersected “object”), then it counts as a hit against that player.

But with hit-scan done in this nature it is possible for someone to be mathematically infinitely far away from another player and still get an instant hit. But in Halo most of us don’t care and want hit-scan.

Regardless you can do the math to project where something will be in the future if travel time is to be taken into account. That is what leading shots mean to players, you have to shoot where the object “will” be so that the bullet/projectile can intersect it in the future. It makes sense to do this with rockets since a rocket is slow compared to a bullet, but only super man should be able to dodge a speeding bullet and if a player is a few yards away. So hit-scan fits a game like Halo for guns like the DMR. Even for the BR if there are 3 rays one for each bullet in the burst, they still should be hit-scan and the rays should be extremely close to the same vector so that only extreme distances where you went for head-shots should be affected. In Reach bloom was frustrating and why many hated the DMR’s bloom is due to too much randomness in situations where it wasn’t logical to have missed based on what was rendered.

Although LAN wasn’t bad for Halo 3, online was where it was frustrating due to latency. But not because of lag in the sense of being visually laggy in the negative sense but in the sense that what you see at any time is not “real” regardless of how good your connection is if you are not host.

What some people don’t realize is that everything they see on their screen in an online game is an educated guess by their local machine. Every now and then the server (aka host) corrects this assumption. In games to hide the visual aspect of this correction, prediction and smoothing algorithms are used to make everything seem constant and fluid. If everything is good then this guess is so close to what the server deems correct that you won’t notice a difference most of the time (no-damage blood shots are examples of when you do notice it and can happen on LAN).

Side note: You can see this correction applied visually when really laggy players in Halo 3 would be walking into a wall then suddenly warp to be shooting you in the back. When the update finally came in, your machine had to correct itself. It just took too long to give you a clear enough view as to where the player really was.

That is also why you see a lot of pro-dedicated server topics. A neutral sever that acts as the final word is appealing to many players since one player is not the authority, but rather everyone is the client to a remote sever.

Another side note: In Halo 2 some players took advantage of this by using their router’s stand-by button while host. Hit stand-by and players connected to the game won’t receive the game update for a few seconds. If the clients don’t get the game updates, how can they know where to aim and shoot to hit you? Or if the game goes to black screen, they can’t even move.

Cheaters took advantage of this and also used this concept of “host is always right” to use modded settings (hacked game data and consoles). When they pull host their machine is given full say-so. So if it is raining heavily on lockout with Banshees flying around and pistols that shoot infinite rockets in a ranked MM Team Slayer game it is because the cheater’s box as host deemed it so. And yes that really happened, among other over the top creative mods I’ve seen in H2 MM.

What this has to do with hit-scan vs spread? Everything because host is always right in P2P and what you see as a client (non-host) is never 100% accurate in the first place. To have to lead shots as anything other than host can get frustrating. LAN was considered the best way to play H3 because of this.

All you need to know is that it is not bloom. So halo is saved

> So you mean, how it should work, then?
>
> DMR wasn’t hitscan, correct? What the Yoink!? That’s when I know to shoot people.

DMR was hitscan. All Halo Reach’s precision weapons were hitscan.

Same with Halo 2’s weapons.