I do not like the melee damage nerf

Here’s the thing: I don’t like to melee in the first place. I tend to stay just out of melee range and prioritize shooting someone to death instead, no matter what the weapon is.

But ever since they reduced melee damage it feels like a total crapshoot whether or not it will even kill someone. A couple of weapons are still as good as they were, but most of the core sandbox, and even a couple of mid tier weapons took a big hit with it.

All this just to nerf the mangler…what a crazy thing to do. They could have just made it spawn less often.

Anyway, I just noticed it was frustrating and causes more randomness in fights than it should.

1 Like

I don’t remember them nerfing melee? Is there a patch for this I missed?

3 Likes

`https://support.halowaypoint.com/hc/en-us/articles/5890104346644-Halo-Infinite-Season-2-Lone-Wolves-Patch-Notes`
  • Melee damage has been reduced by 10% in both multiplayer and campaign.
    • In multiplayer, this change to melee damage makes the Mangler a 2-shot beatdown rather than a 1-shot beatdown.
    • In Ranked multiplayer only, the Battle Rifle has increased melee damage.
      • This change was made to preserve the Battle Rifle’s two-burst beatdown after the global melee reduction.
  • Other changes to melee will also result in the following improvements for multiplayer:
    • “Traded” melee kills will occur more often now than in Season 1.
    • Improved snapping to enemies during melee lunges.
    • Improved enemy collision immediately after meleeing.
2 Likes

Yeah the universal melee nerf is pretty perplexing just to fix the mangler, it seems like a pretty bad decision and logic looped they used to come to this conclusion…
Although I have to admit it -IS- hilarious to watch people try to two shot and melee with the BR or 3 shot with the Sidekick and melee still not realising that the melee got nerfed

2 Likes

Melee should not be powerful imo. A single melee takes away all your shield plus a good amount of heath, too much

2 Likes

…Halo has always been this way?

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m fine with it, generally. Before it took like 4 AR bullets with a melee for a kill, now it’s 5 AR bullets before a melee will kill.
I really don’t like what it did to the mangler though. 2 shot beat down? Yeah, leave it on the rack and keep the AR, like 90% of every other situation.

1 Like

Never played halo ce and halo 2? 3 melees were required to kill someone, the first one wasn’t enough to completely deplete your shield.
Moving to a 2 “shot” melee in halo 3 was a mistake imo

3 Likes

My only gripe about the nerf is traded melees occur more often now. I’ll hit a player, then a fraction of a second later they’ll melee me back and it ends up being a trade. This happened with a sword as well… I was in complete shock when it happened.

3 Likes

What grinds my gears about that is the game has a window of melee credit it gives people that makes no sense. I will occasionally trade kills by shooting someone and them meleeing. That’s just nonsense

2 Likes

… our Spartans are physically augmented super soldiers in half-ton power armor. Why would a punch not do a considerable amount of damage? Genuinely curious about your reasoning.

1 Like

The armor is “super advanced” too. Why would a punch do significant damage to a half a ton SUPER MEGA ULTRA power armor?
Don’t care about the lore, i care about the balance

uh

because it’s another Spartan in SUPER MEGA ULTRA power armor.

At that point, it’s just two superdudes punching each other at equal strength.

2 Likes

What gets me most about it is the different behaviour between social and ranked- that should not occur

3 Likes

The main issue I have is that ranked arena has a two-shot BR melee kill and social has a 3 shot melee kill.

I hate that the playlists don’t match in something as simple as weapon efficiency.

2 Likes

youre right. so nerf the lunge, not the damage. i find the lunge much more annoying than the mangler combo.

Which also begs the question: why did they not just change the melee damage on the mangler in ranked if that’s all they wanted to change?

Why change everything then double change the br but just in ranked?

Completely convoluted and nonsensical way to handle it

2 Likes

Why not just change the mangler bullet damage…

Why not just do pretty much anything besides what they did?

Who knows what dark magic is at play to make them choose these methods

1 Like

Tilt the mangler damage instead…

Less body damage or shields damage, but increase the other.
Every other gun melee combo has to suffer instead

Balance one gun, or double melee trades hmm.