I DESPISE Settler.

This map is horrendous, all it is is a Camo crouching precision weapon campfest. There’s very little actual map movement, it’s either head for the Sniper/Railgun hill, hide in your bases or use the cliff side walkways. Going into the middle of the map is a death sentence, as you will be gunned down from every direction. This map more than any other map in the rotation promotes Camo camping beyond belief. It’s getting to the point where I actually hate this map more than Complex, which I never thought was possible. It plays a little better (not much, Camo camping on the Flag with Boltshots is so cheesy) for CTF but in BTB it’s AWFUL.

Out of curiosity, are you a fan of Halo 3? I ask because I find a lot of the pro-Halo 3 crowd love this map because, according to them, fighting for the high ground is very appealing. Something about map flow…

Settler isn’t one of my favorites because it’s definitely the most rifle friendly map I’ve played yet. I prefer a good mix of close range combat in with the long range for my BTB.

Remove AC and I would like this map a WHOLE lot better. It’s so cheesy to watch an entire team Camo crouching from wherever they’re set up. I got into Halo through Halo 3 (I played Halo 2 at my friends but was a Playstation guy at that time) and wish Halo would go back to those roots. :frowning:

I can’t stand it either. People always vote for it, but every game ends up like Ragnarok. Too much camping for me. Open maps just don’t work in Halo 4.

My ONLY reason for playing this map is for the Mounted Turrets, which is pretty much all I use in BTB. Of course, getting them can be annoying, let alone getting out of our base alive

god I hate settler…

Settler WOULD be good if Active Camo and the DMR weren’t in the game.

I think that the Warthog could be put to good use if plasma grenades and plasma pistols were only map pickups.

If you played H2 and H3 and enjoy the classic feel of fighting for control of the hill you will like this map. Obviously, it also caters to good players. I enjoy this map, because I can literally destroy the enemy team. I once went 50 kills 0 deaths on this map, all while DMR/snipe camping with active cammo and ammo perks on top of the large hill. You may not like it, but that does not mean others do not enjoy it.

> Out of curiosity, are you a fan of Halo 3? I ask because I find a lot of the pro-Halo 3 crowd love this map because, according to them, fighting for the high ground is very appealing. Something about map flow…
>
> Settler isn’t one of my favorites because it’s definitely the most rifle friendly map I’ve played yet. I prefer a good mix of close range combat in with the long range for my BTB.

That is what I do…I’ve been a part of many epic back and forth battles over the Hill with the railgun…if that type of battle is what Halo 3 is known for, then Halo 3 has more appeal than I have given it credit for. I use Storm Rifle/BS (currently mastering both) with Mobility…its is fun…DMRs don’t bother me that much at all.

> Out of curiosity, are you a fan of Halo 3? I ask because I find a lot of the pro-Halo 3 crowd love this map because, according to them, fighting for the high ground is very appealing. Something about map flow…

Yep. Map contrl is always important.

Anyways, settler will be better once the weapon balancing will be released so there will be less DMR’s.

Settler would be terrible in pretty much any Halo game. There is nothing dynamic or interesting about a linear war of attrition for the hill. Halo 3 BTB was probably my favorite of the series and anyone claiming this awful map somehow emulates that is crazy.

People vote for maps they can exploit and with personal ordinance in the mix it only gets worse.

Settler need to be given the boot(preferably into the sun) and we should give the Erosion forge map a try or better yet have a BTB forge playtest.

“We are the Predators of that map”, lol. Cloaking and DMR is all we need.

BTW, I’m one who uses both the DMR and AC. It pays off for me to use it, however it does get quite annoying when everyone uses it.

There is a thread that literally says “I really enjoy settler”…

Do we really need two threads about this?

Since I am working on Light Rifle Commendation, I am not a big fan.

As was mentioned earlier, CTF is not bad, but if you are facing good shooters who own Hilltop and the top of the covered bridge, and your teammates refuse to help dislodge them, you are in for a long day…

What I’m not a big fan of on this map, is again it’s not balanced. Why not keep making maps are are simply mirrored? The RED team when controllers the hill dominates the blue base and their is very little cover. If blue holds the top, red has a spawn near the bottom of the hill they can charge right back up without even getting shot. The blue spawn puts them in the open and red rips them again.

I don´t really agree with the statements in this thread. Settler is not great but I have experienced a lot of different games on that map. Sometimes the enemies are far better and with the chaos that follows in the base and I have also enjoyed a lot of fun moments in every place on the map. If one team is on the hill using the dmr to shot everything down my team normaly hunts them down with a team effort (including a lot of Hail Marys).

Perhaps a bigger building in the middle would expand the battle and give more protection, and maybe with a bridge or two to the hills to give more dynamics to the game play.

But I do prefer every other BTB-map in the game :slight_smile:

Any time I get placed in that putrid map I quit out instantly.
I have better things to do with my time then run up hill over and over again.

>
> Settler isn’t one of my favorites because it’s definitely the most rifle friendly map I’ve played yet. I prefer a good mix of close range combat in with the long range for my BTB.

I like the map because it’s simply just fun and that’s it.

The people that complain about it are people who take this game and probably other games way to friggin serious. What ever happened to crazy new ideas and fun maps?

I’m so sick of the constant super serious, MLG gray boxes all the damn time.

When I first played it i couldn’t stand it but I don’t mind it to much now.it is voted bit to much thou.