I decided to give Halo 5 a RedBox rental(SPOILERS)

I knew before launch that Halo 5 would break my streak of buying Halo games at midnight on launch night. But, if I’m going to continue to visit these forums to speak out against it, it’s only fair that I give the game a proper playthrough instead of relying on the beta, past experience with 343, and what I see in gameplay videos.

I’m going to use this thread as sort of a blog as I progress through the campaign. Be forewarned, that this thread will contain spoilers.

ENTRY ONE

I’ve made it as far as the opening cinematic and I’m already mad at this game. What does 343 have against letting the player play during action sequences? Yes, I’m going to compare 343’s storytelling to Bungie’s here. In Bungie’s Halo, I can think of 2 instances off the top of my head where Master Chief did something strenuous without you being in control. He ran from the temple where you killed the Prophet of Regret, and he ran from the control room when you fired up the Halo ring in Halo 3. Aside from that, you were in control every time something cool happened. So far in Halo 5, I’ve been treated to an action packed battle between Osiris and a bunch of Covenant, where my involvement was to set my controller down. Halo 4 suffered similarly, but not to this extent.

Now, to play the level.

No one should be spoiled by anything you say.

Good of you to give the game a try. I felt you were very opinionated for someone who’s never played the game… but that’s my opinion. :wink:

As for Redbox, the kiosks in Silicon Valley never have good games in stock so I went with the GameFly 3-month promotion subscription.

You should play everything first; then comment summing up everything. Because otherwise, this will become too long to read.

> 2811398874529013;2:
> ENTRY ONE
> **************************
>
> I’ve made it as far as the opening cinematic and I’m already mad at this game. What does 343 have against letting the player play during action sequences? Yes, I’m going to compare 343’s storytelling to Bungie’s here. In Bungie’s Halo, I can think of 2 instances off the top of my head where Master Chief did something strenuous without you being in control. He ran from the temple where you killed the Prophet of Regret, and he ran from the control room when you fired up the Halo ring in Halo 3. Aside from that, you were in control every time something cool happened. So far in Halo 5, I’ve been treated to an action packed battle between Osiris and a bunch of Covenant, where my involvement was to set my controller down.
>
> Now, to play the level.

To spoil this for you without actually giving you plot details: that describes the ending pretty damn well, too.

ENTRY TWO

First level is complete. The biggest gameplay annoyance BY FAR is the jump height. Clamber doesn’t add a -Yoink!- thing to the game when they have to nerf the jump height to force you to use it. Clamber doesn’t allow you to reach higher platforms. It allows you to reach platforms you used to be able to jump to. About 7 fish was right about that ending though. A prominent enemy such as Jul 'Mdama gets taken out in a cutscene with zero player interaction. The firefights had a feel similar to classic Halo, except for the ADS and the movement mechanics. It irked me every single time my pistol’s sights came up to the screen, blocking visibility below the reticle. Also, I sincerely hope there is a limit to how many time your teammates can revive you.

You should change this thread title to “me complaining as I play through the Halo 5 campaign”

Seriously dude.

> 2533274841355851;8:
> You should change this thread title to “me complaining as I play through the Halo 5 campaign”
>
> Seriously dude.

I’m only going to complain about the bad things.

People would jump down my throat on threads here(and rightly so) because I didn’t have any Halo 5 on my service record. It’s only fair that I give the game a playthrough and jump into some multiplayer matches. I was aware that some movement mechanics were tweaked since the beta, but it was all hear-say to me until tonight.

> 2811398874529013;9:
> > 2533274841355851;8:
> > You should change this thread title to “me complaining as I play through the Halo 5 campaign”
> >
> > Seriously dude.
>
>
> I’m only going to complain about the bad things.
>
> People would jump down my throat on threads here(and rightly so) because I didn’t have any Halo 5 on my service record. It’s only fair that I give the game a playthrough and jump into some multiplayer matches. I was aware that some movement mechanics were tweaked since the beta, but it was all hear-say to me until tonight.

Through your first few posts all I have seen is complaining. Maybe say what you like and dislike instead of focusing on everything to find to be negative

ENTRY THREE

Second level complete. I see what everyone was talking about with the enemies’ framerate dropping when there’s any sort of distance between you and them. I never thought it could really be all that noticeable until I saw it for myself. Also, the AI seems pretty bad. I was up on a ledge and didn’t even have to move my reticle as about 6 enemies jetpacked up to me, one after another, in a perfect line. I picked each of them off without moving the right stick. Then there was a separate encounter where one of my teammates was standing near a wall, just hanging out, while an elite stood about 6 feet off to the side of her, swinging his sword at nothing.

The hunter encounters were pretty good. The old tactics don’t work as well, which makes for a nice challenge.

Story-wise, I’m less than impressed so far. Having read the first 4 or so books, it’s kind of neat to see Blue Team, but they really don’t add anything to the story. They’re basically just henchmen for Master Chief. Master Chief hallucinates and sees Cortana, tells his team about it, and they all go, “OK, let’s all go do that then”. I get that they’ve been through a lot with MC, but I would expect at least one of them to raise some questions about going AWOL over a hallucination, especially when they were showing concerns over how far MC was pushing himself in the level’s opening cutscene. Even though I know who Blue Team is, I can see how people are criticizing their lack of development. What have they been up to these past 4 games? To someone who hasn’t read the books, how are they? While we’re on the subject of the teammates, Locke’s partners are equally useless to the story. I feel that the game could have played just as well with you being the only spartan, accompanied by some random expendable marines.

If you set yourself up for disappointment, guess what?

You’ll be disappointed.

Wait a minute…you mean to tell me we argued the last few days and you’ve yet to play h5 till now?

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re disappointed by the campaign, I was. Multiplayer is where it’s at. Rivals h3 IMO. Just FYI, some of the things you may dislike in the mechanics CAN be disabled. I shut stabilizers off and would have shoulder charge and ground pound off if it were there however being how they’re button combos it’s optional either way.

> 2533274923562209;13:
> Wait a minute…you mean to tell me we argued the last few days and you’ve yet to play h5 till now?
> I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re disappointed by the campaign, I was. Multiplayer is where it’s at. Rivals h3 IMO. Just FYI, some of the things you may dislike in the mechanics CAN be disabled. I shut stabilizers off and would have shoulder charge and ground pound off if it were there however being how they’re button combos it’s optional either way.

We argued about the movement mechanics, which I experienced in the beta. I get that the sprinting was nerfed since then, but it’s still bad for the game. I hadn’t played it yet because I don’t feel the game is worth buying.

ENTRY FOUR

Another level down. It turns out that I really like how the vehicles handle. They’re very loose and handle very similar to the Halo CE vehicles. I’d have preferred to be able to slow the banshee down a little bit, but the warthogs and mongooses handle very well.