I can't quite like the phantom...

Hi, I’m a random nobody. Nevertheless, I feel like I should post my reactions about the Arbiter as I try him out in skirmish.

this isn’t so much about utility (I’m terrible at PvP, I play more for fun skirmishes and campaign) so much as it will be about design.

I really like the jump-pack brute replacement units.

I like the alternate grunt units with actual gameplay differences, that’s a nice touch.

I like the Arbiter as a unit, though I wish they could have gotten the original voice.

But I can’t bring myself to like the phantom, even though I like the idea of the unit and always liked the dropship in prior games. It comes down to the look of the unit and the sound. I understand that they were trying to give it a banished aesthetic, but the sound seems way too odd to me. It seems like it’s running on a diesel motor or something. This would fit with the banished theme, but every time a building gets built or some leader powers are used and a spirit gets called in, which I think has great sound design, the odd choice gets highlighted. I think they should have gone the route of the spirit, and chosen some sound that is more like the FPS phantoms. And visually, to be honest, it looks like a forge prefab. A bit more detail on the non-dorsal surfaces (the troop bays and the rear lower fins, for example) and a bit more animation and motion in the model itself would go a long way.

I agree, it looks kind of off. Like even the shape of the phantom is weird, it should be wider and more purple lol

> 2533274813623595;1:
> Hi, I’m a random nobody. Nevertheless, I feel like I should post my reactions about the Arbiter as I try him out in skirmish.
>
> this isn’t so much about utility (I’m terrible at PvP, I play more for fun skirmishes and campaign) so much as it will be about design.
>
> I really like the jump-pack brute replacement units.
>
> I like the alternate grunt units with actual gameplay differences, that’s a nice touch.
>
> I like the Arbiter as a unit, though I wish they could have gotten the original voice.
>
> But I can’t bring myself to like the phantom, even though I like the idea of the unit and always liked the dropship in prior games. It comes down to the look of the unit and the sound. I understand that they were trying to give it a banished aesthetic, but the sound seems way too odd to me. It seems like it’s running on a diesel motor or something. This would fit with the banished theme, but every time a building gets built or some leader powers are used and a spirit gets called in, which I think has great sound design, the odd choice gets highlighted. I think they should have gone the route of the spirit, and chosen some sound that is more like the FPS phantoms. And visually, to be honest, it looks like a forge prefab. A bit more detail on the non-dorsal surfaces (the troop bays and the rear lower fins, for example) and a bit more animation and motion in the model itself would go a long way.

Wait what? The sound is off? I could’ve sworn that I shouted today because i listened to the phantom, and heard a memory from Halo Reach Firefight, as one came down.
I gotta a check again, I swear they brought back the Halo Reach Phantom sound.

> 2533274818651339;2:
> I agree, it looks kind of off. Like even the shape of the phantom is weird, it should be wider and more purple lol

Also everything should be purple supposedly! This is the banished we’re talkin about!

> 2533274818651339;2:
> I agree, it looks kind of off. Like even the shape of the phantom is weird, it should be wider and more purple lol

But…but…it’s banished.

> 2533275013567761;3:
> > 2533274813623595;1:
> > Hi, I’m a random nobody. Nevertheless, I feel like I should post my reactions about the Arbiter as I try him out in skirmish.
> >
> > this isn’t so much about utility (I’m terrible at PvP, I play more for fun skirmishes and campaign) so much as it will be about design.
> >
> > I really like the jump-pack brute replacement units.
> >
> > I like the alternate grunt units with actual gameplay differences, that’s a nice touch.
> >
> > I like the Arbiter as a unit, though I wish they could have gotten the original voice.
> >
> > But I can’t bring myself to like the phantom, even though I like the idea of the unit and always liked the dropship in prior games. It comes down to the look of the unit and the sound. I understand that they were trying to give it a banished aesthetic, but the sound seems way too odd to me. It seems like it’s running on a diesel motor or something. This would fit with the banished theme, but every time a building gets built or some leader powers are used and a spirit gets called in, which I think has great sound design, the odd choice gets highlighted. I think they should have gone the route of the spirit, and chosen some sound that is more like the FPS phantoms. And visually, to be honest, it looks like a forge prefab. A bit more detail on the non-dorsal surfaces (the troop bays and the rear lower fins, for example) and a bit more animation and motion in the model itself would go a long way.
>
> Wait what? The sound is off? I could’ve sworn that I shouted today because i listened to the phantom, and heard a memory from Halo Reach Firefight, as one came down.
> I gotta a check again, I swear they brought back the Halo Reach Phantom sound.

I recall the phantom in Reach having a low, oscillating hum when hovering which pitched up a bit higher when moving. Last I checked, the banished phantom had a puttering, growling engine noise sort of like a shroud. But I’ll double check, maybe the June 29th patch changed things

I posted this elsewhere, but since this is specifically about the Phantom I’ll put it here, too.
Does the bottom and back look slightly untextured to anyone else, or is that just me?

> 2533274919601441;7:
> I posted this elsewhere, but since this is specifically about the Phantom I’ll put it here, too.
> Does the bottom and back look slightly untextured to anyone else, or is that just me?

No, I definitely agree. The front engines I think need a bit of work, too

> 2533274813623595;8:
> > 2533274919601441;7:
> > I posted this elsewhere, but since this is specifically about the Phantom I’ll put it here, too.
> > Does the bottom and back look slightly untextured to anyone else, or is that just me?
>
> No, I definitely agree. The front engines I think need a bit of work, too

Yeah, they just look dangly. Like they aren’t actually the engines anymore, but they left 'em on there to, i don’t know, look cool? They don’t though, if I remember correctly, those aren’t even full engines on there. It’s like if you looked at a hot rod with an above hood air intake, but if you lifted the hood there was no actual engine for the air to go to.

I guess we grew too accustomed to the Covenant’s Halo 2 and Halo 3 phantom. Both its aesthetic design and sound, but that phantom did look nice. However, Grim did say that this Arbiter’s units would have looked like this with heavy Banished influences if he had lived, but you know, he kind of had a knife to the neck and a sword to the gut.

> 2533274813444880;10:
> I guess we grew too accustomed to the Covenant’s Halo 2 and Halo 3 phantom. Both its aesthetic design and sound, but that phantom did look nice. However, Grim did say that this Arbiter’s units would have looked like this with heavy Banished influences if he had lived, but you know, he kind of had a knife to the neck and a sword to the gut.

And he was to fanatical to the Covenant. He really wouldn’t have joined the Banished even if he did live.

> 2533274813444880;10:
> I guess we grew too accustomed to the Covenant’s Halo 2 and Halo 3 phantom. Both its aesthetic design and sound, but that phantom did look nice. However, Grim did say that this Arbiter’s units would have looked like this with heavy Banished influences if he had lived, but you know, he kind of had a knife to the neck and a sword to the gut.

Yeah, of course. I understand the whole Banished aesthetic look. I even like the overall design of the phantom. But the model itself seems poorly constructed in comparison even to the rest of the Banished air vehicles (and the Spirit whenever that shows up), more like something someone slapped together in Halo 5 forge than an actual in-game model. It lacks detail and certain design elements that are key in the original phantom out of some sense of actual utility (ie the front turbine engines that now just dangle from the craft instead of being a part of it, as…you know, engines). So it’s not so much that I wish this looked like the original phantom but that it was of a consistent visual quality with the original and the rest of the Banished air.

Audio, though, I do wish was like the original, because the Banished spirit still sounds like a spirit.