I can't get behind Locke as a hero.

Not his actor, I thought Luke Cage was good, but the character Locke. He just doesn’t have that protagonist feeling to him.

Locke’s bit is that he used to be an Assassin for ONI. And naturally, if you don’t want to go completely insane, you should treat every target as just another target. But Locke doesn’t let go of that, even when he’s not trying to kill someone. Throughout our missions with Locke, he’s got the same “Just another job” attitude.

In the Arbiter vs Covenant arc of the story, where the Arbiter is taking back his homeland, and restoring his order. “Just another job”
On Meridian “Oh we have to save these people”
On the godd*** elevator, when that woman mourns the loss of her companions, and cries “am I the only one left”. NO RESPONSE FROM OUR PROTAGONIST.
How can I get invested in a campaign, when our protagonist isn’t invested in any of the game’s events. He has no view on the greater picture, shows little concern to those around him. He’s just there. It’s just a job to him. That’s why Locke just doesn’t work for me

I liked him in nightfall, the issue I find is that through all the media leading up to release, he was shown to be master chiefs rival or whatever. I have spent 15 years with master chief, anyone who tries to take him down is away going to rule me, Locke is no different sadly

> 2535473687365232;1:
> -snip-

That’s the view that 343 wants. He’s by no mean a hero. Just a Spartan assigned with another mission. If you were told to hunt down the Master Chief, you would be praying that new pants were on sale after your recent dilemma. Locke just goes, “Every target is just another target, Buck.”

In nightfall locke was a blank slate who showed he was mission focused, that all.
In h5 he again showed to be a blank slate.

The Rookie from ODST showed more character than locke and he never talked.

Calling locke a guy who literally could have been replaced with any spartan, for that matter all of osirus minus buck, could have been replaced with the same outcome. A “hero” without a journey or defining moment is not a hero.

Buck could have solod h5 and it probably would have benefited if he had.

Locke is easily forgettable.

> 2533274870591903;4:
> In nightfall locke was a blank slate who showed he was mission focused, that all.
> In h5 he againg showed to be a blank slate.
>
> The Rookie from ODST showed more character than locke and he never talked.
>
> Calling locke a guy who literally could have been replaced with any spartan, for that matter all of osirus minus buck, could have been replaced with the same outcome. A “hero” without a journey or defining moment is not a hero.
>
> Buck could have solod h5 and it probably would have benefited if he had.

He was definitely not a blank slate in nightfall. Just rewatch it and see for yourself.

Come on, did you really just say the Rookie was more of a character than Locke? I mean really? Locke was more of a character than Noble 6, CE chief, and the Rookie. That is unmistakable.

You don’t know what Locke may be thinking mentally and I think that would be interesting to explore in a future game. This kinda of stuff should get to him, but how numb has his former occupation made him? You can seen he gets some fire in his voice when he tells Cortana she will not take the Chief. Just as Chief has to find his humanity, Locke’s should maybe catch-up to him. But we’d never see that happen if people just gave up on him after one game.

I think what broke Locke was his character switching from heart of gold to serious Oni man too many times. For anyone who’s kept up with his lore we are first introduced to him in MCC as by the books Oni man. Then he becomes caring squad leader in his movie, then again into brutal Oni man in the Halo 5 Ads then back to Heart of Gold soldier of the field in Halo 5.

I know he’s meant to be a former Oni hard -Yoink- but the ad campaign made it seem like he still reflected a bit of his past. He even shows this a bit in Halo 5 when he says MC is just another target.

Honestly I would of been totally fine with him being a horrible squad leader and a terrible person trying to keep everything together because he wants to change but deep down he’s still that Oni assassin.

To the people who say everyone just hates him because he’s black, just shut up. By that logic all black people hate Master Chief and no black person could ever hate Locke. I’m black and I love MC and am not too fond of the Locke we have now, so screw you guys for trying to make it a race thing.

On topic Locke should of been his own man, instead of the next generation Master Chief.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> You don’t know what Locke may be thinking mentally and I think that would be interesting to explore in a future game. This kinda of stuff should get to him, but how numb has his former occupation made him? You can seen he gets some fire in his voice when he tells Cortana she will not take the Chief. Just as Chief has to find his humanity, Locke’s should maybe catch-up to him. But we’d never see that happen if people just gave up on him after one game.

I 100% agree with you there, we gotta give Locke a chance, he’s just getting started.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> You don’t know what Locke may be thinking mentally and I think that would be interesting to explore in a future game. This kinda of stuff should get to him, but how numb has his former occupation made him? You can seen he gets some fire in his voice when he tells Cortana she will not take the Chief. Just as Chief has to find his humanity, Locke’s should maybe catch-up to him. But we’d never see that happen if people just gave up on him after one game.

Surprised people seem okay with back pedaling. I personally find it to be one of the most annoying things a series can do since they typically can never leave that spot for decades at a time. While more information would be nice to go back to, it’d obviously slow the pace down. Unless it’s something extremely critical sort of like Reach or Halo Wars, going back just to explain someone’s thoughts doesn’t seem alike a good usage of resources.

I say If you can’t do it right he first time atleast do it so well that no questions are asked. Though it is much easier said then done.

> 2533274845430275;9:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > You don’t know what Locke may be thinking mentally and I think that would be interesting to explore in a future game. This kinda of stuff should get to him, but how numb has his former occupation made him? You can seen he gets some fire in his voice when he tells Cortana she will not take the Chief. Just as Chief has to find his humanity, Locke’s should maybe catch-up to him. But we’d never see that happen if people just gave up on him after one game.
>
> I 100% agree with you there, we gotta give Locke a chance, he’s just getting started.

"It’s finished…"**“No, I think we’re just getting started…”

I can honestly get behind it, I find Locke to be a far more interesting character than Chief; and have since Locke’s first appearance. Out of every character available to take over after Chief’s day is over, I feel like Locke is the best man for the position. And, with the moral strain placed on him, I’m interested to see how his character will develop further.

Locke and Chief have some similarities, such as their initial Black and White views fading in to Grey; but at the same time they come from two totally different beginnings, and have been through considerably different fights to get to the point they are at now. Keeping this short for the sake of time, but you can easily draw parallels in character between the two; while also pointing out the subtle differences that makes both of them their own man.

He has potential, and hasn’t disappointed yet. I think more fans need to give him a chance, he’s a fantastically written character thus far. And, I can’t say the same for most of the Halo cast. Barring Locke, Buck and Palmer are my next picks for well written characters. Barring the annoying commentary from Spartan Ops, Palmer is another fantastic character. And, well, we all know and generally love Buck.

> 2533274812652989;7:

I agree. Too soon to judge, let alone give up on his character.

> 2533274812652989;7:

Yeah the end did show some promise. I hope Locke gets a lot of development in Halo 6. He has potential, but is slow to show it. He had 12 missions to strech his legs, but doesnt start till late in the game. Actually looking back, alot of Halo 5’s scenes with Locke were cut short. For example, Arbiter reminding Locke about his attempted Assassination. If that scene was given 5 more minutes of screen time, Locke would be more developed imo.

> 2535473687365232;1:
> Not his actor, I thought Luke Cage was good, but the character Locke. He just doesn’t have that protagonist feeling to him.
>
> Locke’s bit is that he used to be an Assassin for ONI. And naturally, if you don’t want to go completely insane, you should treat every target as just another target. But Locke doesn’t let go of that, even when he’s not trying to kill someone. Throughout our missions with Locke, he’s got the same “Just another job” attitude.
>
> In the Arbiter vs Covenant arc of the story, where the Arbiter is taking back his homeland, and restoring his order. “Just another job”
> On Meridian “Oh we have to save these people”
> On the godd*** elevator, when that woman mourns the loss of her companions, and cries “am I the only one left”. NO RESPONSE FROM OUR PROTAGONIST.
> How can I get invested in a campaign, when our protagonist isn’t invested in any of the game’s events. He has no view on the greater picture, shows little concern to those around him. He’s just there. It’s just a job to him. That’s why Locke just doesn’t work for me

To me, Locke embodies a lot of traits that are in VERY short supply in the Halo universe.

• He is a very trusting person. (“Halsey says the plan will work. I trust her.” As well as trusting Osiris, and his old team from Nightfall, who betrayed his trust)
  • He is a very respectful person. (The Meridian colonists, the SoS Grunts and Elites, and the Arbiter - all of them receive equal respect from Locke. Usually, ONI, UNSC, and Spartans all have an ego that makes them feel superior to colonists and aliens.)
  • He saves SEVERAL people throughout the game, he acts as a “guardian angel”. (Dr. Halsey on Kamchatka, the Meridian colonists, the Arbiter, he even warns the Arbiter about the Guardian’s destructive power despite not needing to do that, and finally saving the Master Chief and Blue Team despite him nearly dying because of it.)

I for one would like to know more about what he did for ONI. would like them to do a book about it. I am almost done with New Blood and have a better liking for Buck and understanding and liking for the Spartan 4’s .

Hmmm maybe I will write the book. just had a killer idea for a back story for him while he was an ONI assassin.

> 2535473687365232;1:
> Not his actor, I thought Luke Cage was good, but the character Locke.

Good, b/c Luke Cage was awesome. I’d put it right up there with Season 1 of Daredevil… maybe even better.

I think Locke has a ton of potential as a character, and could be a very interesting protagonist if 343i uses him to act as a contrast to the Chief. The two men are now Spartans, but got there through different means and have a very different past. You could play of the whole ideology of “old vs new” and “ONI secret assassin doing stuff behind the scenes vs hero out in the open saving humanity, taking the credit”. Hell, even the whole “human vs machine” theme from Halo 4 could play very well by using Locke alongside the Chief.

Unfortunately, the writing and characterization in Halo 5 was beyond horrible due to a lead writer (who we shall not name) having horrendously sub-par writing skills. It’s not a question of Locke being a bad character, but more like a question of him being in the hands of a writer that cannot develop him properly, just as that writer did not develop Chief or Blue Team, nor Cortana or the Warden Eternal as villains either. In the hands of somebody competent, Locke could be a great character.

As other people have said, he was a good character in Halo: Nightfall. But yes, since the story itself is lacking I think the developers couldn’t flesh out his character as much. They were probably planning on having him be the “mysterious, by the books, and strict but caring” leader type. I guess since maybe they haven’t had such a major character play this role before the writers really didn’t know what to do.