I can't forgive 343 removing campaign theater

I’m so disappointed that there’s no theater mode for the Halo 4 campaign, and lack of campaign scoring as well.

They are multipliers for the entire experience. You have an initial gameplay experience, and then you can go back through the film assessing your gameplay, figuring out how those weird deaths happened, trying to take some sweet pictures, and taking clips of some funny moments. Then you could share all of that online, talk about it, make a montage.
From one small moment of actual game-time, so many more experiences could spawn from it. They provided for hours and hours of additional activity for thousands of gamers and, with a little more development, could have provided for even more.

The combination of Game Stats and Saved Films was irrefutable proof of even the
craziest of runs. The in-game timer part of the Scoring Features made timing fair and consistent across all hardware versions, across loading-time differences when a game was installed or not and across differences in capture hardware and rendering software. The sharing of Saved Films through the Fileshare dramatically increased the pool of runners, those who could contribute tactics, and those who simply wanted to keep a record of it all.

The removal of theater mode for Halo 4’s campaign, along with the removal of scoring, pretty much killed the ability to easily share secret tactics and stuff easily. You need to have a capture card to do it effectively. Along with that, speedrunning is pretty much gone. Websites like HighSpeedHalo are dead.
(Thank you RC Master for writing and wording all these points excellently)

Overall, I’m just extremely disappointed in the removal of campaign scoring and theater mode. Does anyone have a reasoning on why both were removed? If there’s a chance it will be added in later? Thanks.

I was definitely bummed to hear that a lot of features added in previous titles were removed. If 343i kept theater in Campaign and allowed us to use it in Spartan Ops, I think the game would have been a bit better for it. I’m also bummed that we can’t gain experience for playing the Campaign, aside from two weekly challenges, or matchmake co-operative games. It kills the replayability.

Perhaps Halo V will show us how much 343i has learned from their shortcomings. Definitely do not expect them to program all of this in to Halo 4 at all.

i never realized how much i like the theater for campaign. i would use it here and there to find out why i mysteriously blew up or to take a screenshot or recording of something weird or cool or funny. i always thought it was mostly just a waste of time as it only shows you what you just did a second ago.

HOWEVER, i could not have been more wrong. now that its gone i realize i used it much more than i thought i did and i am ticked that its not here. along with the loss of campaign scoring, this game has no replayability.

i am almost purely a campaign player (growing up without internet will do that to you) and man i can play reach everyday (i actually do on days im home) but with halo 4 i havent even replayed the campaign a second time around. this is unheard of for me as i will usually play the ever loving -Yoink- out of a halo campaign to the point that each level is memorized a hundred times over. not with halo 4. these issues are definitely a part of that problem and i hope they make a comeback in halo 5.

I agree. I was playing Spartan Ops and a Phantom crashed into the ground and EXPLODED! It was so funny, that I forgot that I didn’t own a video capture card. That moment is lost forever. Shame.

It’s also annoying because the level design in Halo 4 is quite breathtaking, and there’s no real way of exploring it without pan-cam. You need theater for pan-cam, so that’s out of the question. I can understand that decision, though. They only had a maximum of 8 gigabytes to work with, and Campaign took up all of it.

1 Like

> I was definitely bummed to hear that a lot of features added in previous titles were removed. If 343i kept theater in Campaign and allowed us to use it in Spartan Ops, I think the game would have been a bit better for it. I’m also bummed that we can’t gain experience for playing the Campaign, aside from two weekly challenges, or matchmake co-operative games. It kills the replayability.
>
> Perhaps Halo V will show us how much 343i has learned from their shortcomings. Definitely do not expect them to program all of this in to Halo 4 at all.

^YES
I would be playing and speedrunning H4 non-stop if it had campaign theater.

I totally agree with the OP and used to love taking screenshots of the Chief in campaign taking it to the Covenant.

Very disappointed they cut it from the game :frowning:

Been saying this from the start. Campaign scoring also allowed for more interesting campaign challenges. Like get a certain number of head shots, or kill a specific type of enemy. Also annoying that you need to be connected to online to play spartan opps. Also annoying that if you have a guest plugged in you can’t watch the spartan opps episodes.

> Been saying this from the start. Campaign scoring also allowed for more interesting campaign challenges. Like get a certain number of head shots, or kill a specific type of enemy. Also annoying that you need to be connected to online to play spartan opps. <mark>Also annoying that if you have a guest plugged in you can’t watch the spartan opps episodes.</mark>

are you serious? 0_o

> > Been saying this from the start. Campaign scoring also allowed for more interesting campaign challenges. Like get a certain number of head shots, or kill a specific type of enemy. Also annoying that you need to be connected to online to play spartan opps. <mark>Also annoying that if you have a guest plugged in you can’t watch the spartan opps episodes.</mark>
>
> are you serious? 0_o

Wow, I didn’t know that either. Kind of a fail.

Campaign was suppose to have a theater mode for halo 4, but was cut from the game due to Microsoft rushing the game along with the other stuff that was suppose to be in halo 4.

1 Like

> Campaign was suppose to have a theater mode for halo 4, but was cut from the game due to Microsoft rushing the game along with the other stuff that was suppose to be in halo 4.

This

Personally Idt 343 had a choice with the theater in campaign. Halo 4 pushes 360 to its limits, and I think 343 had to pull similar trick to make H4 work the way Bungie had to for H:CE.

H:CE used a lot of camera trick and angles to make the scenes look right, but if you were to look anywhere outside the fixed position, you’d see it was all cobbled together.

Just my uneducated guess, but I think that unlike a lot of Halo games where you could back track really far, and weapons wouldn’t disappear, Halo 4 can only maintain in realtime the assests on screen. So if there was a theater mode, and you paused and went in to free cam, you’d see the world wasn’t rendered past where you immediate position is.

Nobody wanted theater more than me. Halo 3, ODST and Reach I have films of my entire playthrough each game solo on Legendary including cutscenes. Some days I’d just watch those like movies.

Almost certain we’ll see theater in all modes in H5 and beyond. I truly believe it just wasn’t possible for campaign and SPOPS on current gen hardware.

Just my $.02

I agree and it should also belong within spartan ops with the theather mode.

> Personally Idt 343 had a choice with the theater in campaign. Halo 4 pushes 360 to its limits, and I think 343 had to pull similar trick to make H4 work the way Bungie had to for H:CE.
>
> H:CE used a lot of camera trick and angles to make the scenes look right, but if you were to look anywhere outside the fixed position, you’d see it was all cobbled together.
>
> Just my uneducated guess, but I think that unlike a lot of Halo games where you could back track really far, and weapons wouldn’t disappear, Halo 4 can only maintain in realtime the assests on screen. So if there was a theater mode, and you paused and went in to free cam, you’d see the world wasn’t rendered past where you immediate position is.
>
> Nobody wanted theater more than me. Halo 3, ODST and Reach I have films of my entire playthrough each game solo on Legendary including cutscenes. Some days I’d just watch those like movies.
>
> Almost certain we’ll see theater in all modes in H5 and beyond. I truly believe it just wasn’t possible for campaign and SPOPS on current gen hardware.
>
> Just my $.02

Can you explain how Halo 4 pushed the Xbox to the limit? It really feels like it has a lot less content than Reach.

I can’t forgive 343 for thinking that making Halo: Modern Warfare 4 was a good idea.

They were rushed
There is no problem

i would love to take screenshots from the h4 campaign…but no theater

> Campaign was suppose to have a theater mode for halo 4, but was cut from the game due to Microsoft rushing the game along with the other stuff that was suppose to be in halo 4.

At least Microsoft didn’t rush it like Halo 2.

> > > Been saying this from the start. Campaign scoring also allowed for more interesting campaign challenges. Like get a certain number of head shots, or kill a specific type of enemy. Also annoying that you need to be connected to online to play spartan opps. <mark>Also annoying that if you have a guest plugged in you can’t watch the spartan opps episodes.</mark>
> >
> > are you serious? 0_o
>
> Wow, I didn’t know that either. Kind of a fail.

What I hate is that in the Spartan Ops trailers, they were all like, “WATCH SPARTAN OPS EPISODES WITH YOUR FRIENDS” yet you can’t watch the Episodes when your friends are in the lobby. lol what the heck dudes

It is a damn shame that you can’t use Theater in Campaign anymore.

Honestly, despite putting a lot of “effort” into the Campaign, removing the metagame behind it really leaves very little incentive to play through it again. Aside from achievements for higher difficulties and for co-op runs, there is no reason to go back to Campaign aside for challenges, and skull runs are usually so tedious to the uninitiated that it’d be faster to play Infinity Slayer for the payout.