I believe most people outside America stopped playing halo due to high ping lobbies

If you want to bring people back to Halo we NEED a way to stop getting high ping games. I know the argument against a server selection is because there aren’t enough players… I truly believe there aren’t enough players because there is no server selection. I have never played a game that places me in anything over 60 ping games. Most players don’t and will not play with that sort of ping. I still don’t understand why I am getting in 220 pings games. It’s sad that on the rare occasion I get a 160ping I’m happy. The only reason I continue to play and push through the issue is the fact I compete in HCS in ANZ.

I play at a 1700ish onyx level and it’s not fun with 220 pings. P.S not sure why I’m getting 3 low diamond players on my team regularly… but that’s a whole other kettle of fish.

3 Likes

Well I am from switzerland and I have rarely high ping games. So I think the problem are not the servers when it comes to ping.

1 Like

there needs to be server selection its hurting the game outside of the game I get guys who have 140 plus ping I would not play with that really hard to compete I average 10-30 ping usually and cant imagine anything higher

1 Like

I stopped playing about 5-6 weeks ago because of the high ping lobbies and desync (I shouldn’t be placed on US servers in approx 50% of my games when I’m in UK).

All of my friends stopped playing because they got bored with the lack of content, and prefer playing games they enjoy.

3 Likes

I’m in Alberta Canada and 80% of my matches were connected to a European (Amsterdam I’m told) server, which gives me a ping time of 250 ms.

20% of my matches are at 25 ms ping times and from using the server selector in MCC or H5, that is Seattle.

How exactly is the Server Selector code not able to determine that Seattle is the optimal server for me. Is 343 programming in some alternate universe where 250 is less than 25?

1 Like

Some people seem to still encounter really odd behavior. I’m mostly playing 30 - 50 ms ping games from central Europe. I get the occasional game on US servers at 120 - 130 ms (especially when playing on off hours). A few weeks back it was quite terrible and then I did encounter two or three 250 ms games.

Anyway, it most likely isn’t the servers themselves but rather how people get placed on them. While it makes sense to connect people to far away servers when there is no population on those nearby (albeit they do that too quickly in my opinion) I really don’t get why they’d place a canadian player on EU servers when they are much closer to US ones which are basically guaranteed to have a bigger population as well.

@mja_calg : do you play during rather typical hours for your timezone (evenings) or during off hours (late at night, early morning)? What playlists do you encounter this on (ranked/controller seems to have less population than the one that isn’t input restricted, etc.) I’m just trying to find out if there might be some commonality that might hint at why this happens to certain people but not others.

1 Like

I get most of my games on 30 ping servers (based in Austria). But to be honest, ping seems to matter -Yoink!- in this game. Sometimes it feels great, sometimes desync is just bad as hell.

2 Likes

Most of my play times varied, but it was mainly between 1 pm to 3 pm MDT and say between 8pm to 11 pm MDT. The 8 to 11 would be peak time for players after supper, so I would not expect low populations. I’m also playing solo, so there should be averaging of team mate ping times either. And I mainly play BTB or 4v4 casual, I think I played competitive once.

It’s simply broken and until it gets fixed, I won’t install Halo Infinite again on my Xbox.

I suspect that bad desync on low ping lobbies may be due to players from other continents joining your games (ie they have high ping whilst you don’t)…just like when you join servers on the other side of the world and have high ping whilst the local players have low ping. Whilst region lock or server selection doesn’t exist, we’ll have desync no matter whether we join low or high ping lobbies.

1 Like

May be the case as well. Servers with 120 ms usually play pretty awesome. :smiley:

Either way, the system is broken and while H5 sometimes felt inconsistent, infinite is just a bad joke in that regard.

Though I play only ranked due to br start and no radar, I couldn’t care less aboutmy rank or winning at all. And I highly doubt 343 will manage to fix it.

2 Likes

I’m still playing, still no issues although I haven’t been in ranked in 2 months, UK.

Will play ranked in season 2 for new Onyx unlocks and for FFA if it comes. Please come!

1 Like

Some times its not the ping, its the dsync that ruin the gameplay for me.
And I always have problem with DDS, think its my ISP thats behind a NAT.

I stopped playing inside America due to high ping. That and desync. And armor cores too!

1 Like

I also wish they would stop banking so hard on automated path selection. It’s great stuff and all nowadays, but region selection at least lets the matchmaker know where it can and can’t go, more or less preventing the system from throwing its hands in the air and saying “screw it, here’s the fastest match I can make-- sorry about the ping though”

2 Likes

I’m still playing from Australia but the High Ping servers need to go, just let me select my servers like MCC

1 Like

It’s true. in the evening (EU) you start to find american lobbies all the time, it’s unplayable

there’s new onyx unlocks?

1 Like

Yeah new emblems, instead of Three stars it’s purple and black with wolf in the middle. Not sure if we will get a bonus like the recon helmet charm yet. Ranks are resetting. Here’s hoping they stealth drop new FFA playlist.

High ping had ZERO to do with why i stopped playing. The game being a huge disappointment was the reason.

1 Like

Watcha doin round these parts then fella, you ever coming back?