Hypothetical Situation...

Let’s say that 343 listens to the massive complaining and does not keep AAs in any way, shape or form for H4. Let’s then say that H4’s population dies off faster than Reach’s.

What would you say?

Majority can’t appreciate good gameplay? Seriously, if the game actually was good, I wouldn’t care as long as I could find games fast enough.

People complained that Halo 1 was better than Halo 2.
People complained that Halo 2 was better than Halo 3.
People complained that Halo 3 was better than Halo Reach.

Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, given the overall brainpower of the online community.

population was never something i cared about.

Then I would say Halo has had its day. Gimmicks discouraged the longtime fans, and a return to the core gameplay failed to bring them back or entertain casuals.

If. Classic Halo gameplay would still be vastly superior, however. Just because Justin Bieber sells more album copies than Katatonia (insert your choice of talented but relatively unknown band here) does not make his musicianship superior.

> Just because Justin Bieber sells more album copies than Katatonia (insert your choice of talented but relatively unknown band here) does not make his musicianship superior.

Agreed.

But people have the tendency to throw around population numbers on B.net like they are the only thing that matters.

I get that people don’t like AAs. But I do. Without them I don’t see myself playing H4 past the Achievements.

> Let’s say that 343 listens to the massive complaining and does not keep AAs in any way, shape or form for H4. Let’s then say that H4’s population dies off faster than Reach’s.
>
> What would you say?

if the only reason people are playing halo is to fly around, get 7 seconds of invincibility at the touch of a button, run away from the slightest hint of danger, etc. they wont be missed.

halo is more than gimmicky nonsense, which is why so many people left reach to begin with. halo reach has basically become entirely gimmicky nonsense across the board.

and AA’s really arent even the issue, its their poor implementation.

if armor lock lasted 3 seconds do you think there would be even remotely close to being as many people complaining about it as there currently is?

if jet pack didnt completely remove the concept of map control from the game, would so many people be against it being picked off the bat?

if you couldnt just sprint away at the slightest hint of danger do you think more people would complain or less?

and honest, its not even about the people complaining. its about the validity of their reasoning. OVER HALF of the community EASILY hates armor lock with a passion. and why wouldnt they? if you out play someone and they can press 1 button to completely negate all of your skill-based efforts to kill them… how fun does the game become? not very.

if you work on the concept of map control, then come into a halo game were you can COMPLETELY throw that concept out the window by spawning with a jet pack, how fun does the game become in this regard? not very.

most of us just want to play HALO as it used to be, a SKILL-BASED NON-GIMMICKY, SERIOUS FPS game.

halo has literally became happy fun flying times even in the serious playlists. heck, most of my friends dont even use the term ‘team slayer’ anymore because its 99% jet pack. we call it ‘team jet packs’ instead.

halo reach is like a little kids game because of how laughable the implementation of most of the AA’s are. i have literally no idea why halo reach is rated M.

> People complained that Halo 1 was better than Halo 2.
> People complained that Halo 2 was better than Halo 3.
> People complained that Halo 3 was better than Halo Reach.
>
> Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, given the overall brainpower of the online community.

except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol

> except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol

That’s strictly a matter of opinion.

> I get that people don’t like AAs. But I do. Without them I don’t see myself playing H4 past the Achievements.

Sure, but this is hardly something to surprise me or change my perspective. I think AAs ruin the Halo experience, but I know someone else is bound to think differently. I feel strongly enough though, that with them I don’t see myself playing H4 at all.

It’s hard to prove much where popularity is concerned. Maybe Halo really is passe. Maybe CoD is what most people like these days, and Halo just doesn’t cut it. All I can point to is the fact that Halo 3 more than held its own against the CoD juggernaut, but Reach has performed poorly.

All anyone can do is say what they want from a Halo game and make themselves heard. You want AAs, I don’t. All speculation aside, that’s what it boils down to. Time will tell.

> > except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol
>
> That’s strictly a matter of opinion.

Perhaps, but Halo games have progessively de-emphasised individual skill, which is not an opinion (although Reach was less a progressive evolution of this and considerably more exponential).

For some, like myself, that is one definition of worse.

I honestly wouldn’t miss AA’s in Halo 4. I just hope it doesn’t become cookie-cutter same year after year after year.

That’s why I didn’t buy Black Ops, and will most likely not buy MW3 until 2 years down the road where I can pick it up for $25 just for the campaign.

> I feel strongly enough though, that with them I don’t see myself playing H4 at all.

Even if they were limited just to Social gametypes?

> All I can point to is the fact that Halo 4 more than held its own against the CoD juggernaut, but Reach has performed poorly.

You mean H3?

If so, every XBL Activity Chart I’ve seen from Major Nelson since MW2’s release has MW2 beating H3.

> …and AA’s really arent even the issue, its their poor implementation.

I agree with this 100%.

> I honestly wouldn’t miss AA’s in Halo 4. I just hope it doesn’t become cookie-cutter same year after year after year.
>
> That’s why I didn’t buy Black Ops, and will most likely not buy MW3 until 2 years down the road where I can pick it up for $25 just for the campaign.

I don’t think anyone wants it to come to that, but the gimmicks in them to keep them fresh need to be few and implemented to be fun, but not affect core gameplay too much, if at all. Some could argue equipment did this. They were rather balanced and didn’t affect gameplay too much, as players with them used them quickly, and could often be rather easy to counter.

> Even if they were limited just to Social gametypes?

Action Sack and its ilk are fine.

But yes, even if it’s in social Team Slayer. I’m all for the return of ranked playlists, but I don’t always have friends to run with, and I’d like to be able to enjoy searching as a random in social.

> >You mean H3?
>
> If so, every XBL Activity Chart I’ve seen from Major Nelson since MW2’s release has MW2 beating H3.

Whoops.

Except MW2 released in 2009, two years after H3. Reach can’t even beat MW2, let alone BO, even though it’s the newest iteration.

> > I feel strongly enough though, that with them I don’t see myself playing H4 at all.
>
> Even if they were limited just to Social gametypes?
>
>
>
> > All I can point to is the fact that Halo 4 more than held its own against the CoD juggernaut, but Reach has performed poorly.
>
> You mean H3?
>
> If so, every XBL Activity Chart I’ve seen from Major Nelson since MW2’s release has MW2 beating H3.

To answer your first question, I wouldn’t, as I love BTB, and AA’s ruined BTB for me in Reach.

To respond to the second statement, why would you expect the new CoD game that was advertised like crazy to beat out a Halo game 2 years old, going on 3 soon after, when it already had experienced 2 others in it’s lifespan that probably put a dent in it’s population.

> > except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol
>
> That’s strictly a matter of opinion.

100% true. this is strictly opinion. there are also several things that are glaringly worse, especially in halo reach, however.

and its also the shared opinion of a LOT of the halo community.

> > > except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol
> >
> > That’s strictly a matter of opinion.
>
> 100% true. this is strictly opinion. there are also several things that are glaringly worse, especially in halo reach, however.
>
> and its also the shared opinion of a LOT of the halo community.

Shared by the vocal minority.

> Reach can’t even beat MW2, let alone BO, even though it’s the newest iteration.

From what I’ve heard, the population split over some of the design changes BO made. To me, the fact that MW2 is beating Reach just goes to show just how big the disparity is between CoD and Halo.

> Reach can’t even beat MW2, let alone BO, even though it’s the newest iteration.

That’s a horrible comparison. Not even Halo 3 beat MW2 after it came out. The COD games caters heavily to casual gamers, is easier to play, and requires none of the skills the Halo series promotes. Thus, as the casual vastly outnumbers the competitive, COD is seemingly more popular.

> > > > except… thats exactly how it is. halo games have gotten progressively worse. lol
> > >
> > > That’s strictly a matter of opinion.
> >
> > 100% true. this is strictly opinion. there are also several things that are glaringly worse, especially in halo reach, however.
> >
> > and its also the shared opinion of a LOT of the halo community.
>
> Shared by the vocal minority.

that term is ridiculous. you have no way to prove we are the ‘vocal minority’.