Hypothetical situation, Chief dies after Halo CE

Suppose installation 04 was destroyed and the events that led to the great schism were set in stone. Would humanity still have a chance against a divided covenant without the help of the master chief?

I don’t think so. Without the Chief convincing Hood to send the Forward Unto Dawn to the Ark to retrieve Cortana, humanity would have stayed behind to await the supposed Flood threat that was barreling its way toward Earth. Then Truth would have activated the Array and wiped everything out.

> 2535435902217648;2:
> I don’t think so. Without the Chief convincing Hood to send the Forward Unto Dawn to the Ark to retrieve Cortana, humanity would have stayed behind to await the supposed Flood threat that was barreling its way toward Earth. Then Truth would have activated the Array and wiped everything out.

How would Truth activate the array without a human? Forerunner tech requires an uninfected human to activate the rings.

Truth knew about the activation barrier, he was pressed for time with Chief leading the offensive and fled, knowing the humans would follow him through the Portal. Without Chief chasing off Truth’s occupation forces, there is no doubt that Truth would have had more humans taken prisoner for the express purpose of activating the rings. In Halo 2 the Covenant have multiple humans including Johnson prisoner before Tartarus chooses Miranda to be the activator, he tells the rest of his pack to kill Johnson and the others.

That’s not even taking into account that without Chief to form the bond with the Arbiter, I highly doubt that Rtas 'Vadum would have just been content to glass half a continent and would have burned Earth to glass to contain the minor outbreak in Voi.

> 2533274819939761;3:
> > 2535435902217648;2:
> > I don’t think so. Without the Chief convincing Hood to send the Forward Unto Dawn to the Ark to retrieve Cortana, humanity would have stayed behind to await the supposed Flood threat that was barreling its way toward Earth. Then Truth would have activated the Array and wiped everything out.
>
> How would Truth activate the array without a human? Forerunner tech requires an uninfected human to activate the rings.

PLENTY of humans to abduct in the Sol system. Or if the Home Fleet actually does its job (don’t get your hopes up), decent number of unglassed colonies (Gao, Venezia, Beta Gabriel etc) to pick from.

> 2533274819939761;3:
> > 2535435902217648;2:
> > I don’t think so. Without the Chief convincing Hood to send the Forward Unto Dawn to the Ark to retrieve Cortana, humanity would have stayed behind to await the supposed Flood threat that was barreling its way toward Earth. Then Truth would have activated the Array and wiped everything out.
>
> How would Truth activate the array without a human? Forerunner tech requires an uninfected human to activate the rings.

They could have had an entire platoon’s worth of POWs on Truth’s ship for all we know. And without the Chief pressing the attack on the Ark, Truth would have had time to secure the Citadel, fortify his position, and then send out for humans to be used to activate the Array. Once Truth had total control of the Ark, he’d have time on his side. Hell he could even move all of the Covenant onto the Ark and then activate the Array to kill everyone else and then claim the Forerunners gifted the galaxy to the Covenant as payment for their good deeds.

A lot more people would die in the process, but the possibility exists.