"Hybrid" maps are not a good thing.

Reading the latest podcast I noticed how they said Meltdown is trying to please both infantry and vehicle lovers.

That’s simply wrong.
There must be vehicular maps and then infantry maps.

If you try to force infantry into vehicle maps then they cry how vehicles suck or they are op.

And the direction they took for Anti-vehicle means seems that it will be ruined for vehicle players as well seeing the spartan laser is In Valhalla light.
It will just make vehicle users free kills.

Blame the Mantis for this , it should be In heavies only , like they said its a scorpion with altered stats.

Mantis and Spartan laser belong in heavy map variants!

I don’t see the problem. Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Valhalla, etc all work as both infantry and vehicle maps, for example.

I still consider Valhalla to be the best vehicle-heavy map that worked insanely well with infantry.

Hybrid maps, properly designed, are amazing.

The Spartan Laser was on the default version of Valhalla in Halo 3. I think someone needs to re-think how Halo works.

Halo BTB has always been a place for both vehicles and infantry.

Nothing feels better then screwing a fully loaded warthog all by yourself though!!!
Plasma charged shot, grenade under vehicle and then headshot those suckers LOL

I play BTB from time to time, I’m almost always a foot soldier/infantry. Hell, even on heavies I am still infantry. Anti-vehicle infantry, but infantry none the less. I’m glad they are mixing the maps. To segregate maps into just infantry or just vehicles is ridiculous.

Lets look at maps that had both infantry and vehicle play. I’ve never seen a map meant strictly for vehicles.

One of things things I love so much about Halo was the versatility. You could do well in a vehicle or on foot. Some of my funniest times were on Vahalla driving a warthog or duking it out in the center.

The thing I don’t like it having to be in a vehicle to succeed. Hemorrhage comes to mind. While it is an amazing map, I feel if I want to d something I need to be in a vehicle, or else I’m walking across the map.

Quite the opposite in fact. Maps that are only playable for vehicular gameplay are frustrating to play as infantry. When playing BTB, you won’t want to rely on vehicles all the time, and even if you wanted to, you aren’t guaranteed to get one. Maps such as Blood Gulch (and all its remakes) and Sandtrap are quite unpleasant on foot, as you either play on a small area or have to run in the open.

A well made hybrid map is perfect as it allows vehicular gameplay, but also allows fluid movement of infantry, in which case you don’t need to rely on vehicles all the time, and your gameplay can be more varied.

> I don’t see the problem. Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Valhalla, etc all work as both infantry and vehicle maps, for example.

Death Island was a “hybrid” map, and it worked very well, same with district.

OP, you’re thinking neglects the numerous tunnels, cover and off-level routes meant to highlight the infantry part. And yes the vehicles will be shredded by infantry like it’s urban combat, they never said the map was meant for vehicles to dominate the infantry, it’s to allow both near equal use.
If the vehicles are heavy, the tunnels are for safety. If the enemy won’t come out and be shot by your vehicle, you’ve got to smoke them out, not complain that it’s not balanced.

There’s no such thing as a pure-vehicle oriented map. Infantry will always play a large role on maps where vehicles exist.

> One of things things I love so much about Halo was the versatility. You could do well in a vehicle or on foot. Some of my funniest times were on Vahalla driving a warthog or duking it out in the center.
>
> The thing I don’t like it having to be in a vehicle to succeed. Hemorrhage comes to mind. While it is an amazing map, I feel if I want to d something I need to be in a vehicle, or else I’m walking across the map.

Hemorrhage was DMR all the way. Raking up the kills in no time (especially the jetpackers, such easy targets.)

I disagree completely. Vehicle-oriented maps are an absolute pain if they aren’t balanced to give infantry a fighting chance - take Hemmorhage for example. Huge open areas, 4 Warthogs, 2 Wraiths, 2 Ghosts, 2 Revenants but only 3 weapons that can effectively take down vehicles…being a foot soldier is just plain not fun.

Meltdown’s looking pretty nice so far - balanced enough to give infantry a fighting chance. I’m surprised there isn’t a Banshee on it by default, I think it would work really well.

Hybrid gameplay is a good thing… think about it.

De gustibus non disputandum est. You may consider the idea silly OP but others might love it

Some of the most successful BTB maps are Hybrid maps.

OP is drunk. Some of the best maps in Halo history are designed with infantry and vehicles in mind.

Listen, every map (yes, every single map) is designed with infantry in mind. No map has ever been made that says, “You should probably get in the Warthog right now otherwise you won’t see anyone” (Reach excluded). Then, they add routes for vehicular travel.

Haha, you sir just brightened my day. Do you realize that every BTB map ever made in Halo has been this way?

> I still consider Valhalla to be the best vehicle-heavy map that worked insanely well with infantry.
>
> Hybrid maps, properly designed, are amazing.

This, its just that its rarely done well though.

As long as the map isn’t huge I don’t really care. I didn’t play BTB because of the humongous maps.