Humanity the Bad Guys?

So with Bungie heading Halo, we saw a lot of human interaction and designs where the human marines were enjoyable and the human military was actually intriguing and felt very clever. The designs were rudimentary but still felt semi futuristic with a rustic, almost semi-realistic and almost achievable tech feel. With 343 it feels like everything took quite a turn. The Covenant are now less of the bad guys as they seem with ONI and most of humanity seeming very backstabbing (not very different with ONI, but still) and the designs are much more alien, futuristic, glowing and rounded (in human tech, I mean)

This came from me watching Halo: Nightfall’s Episode 5 (which I wont mention anything) and remembering some of the more recent books leading up to Halo 4/5. Honestly, it feels like the Humanity I knew from the older Halo’s became much more two-faced, much more dark and mysterious in the newer Halo’s. Has anyone else noticed this trend and design?

It’s like we originally had the UNSC (Bungie) as our main source of media then all of a sudden our media waves got hijacked and replaced with either edited false flags or doctored truth propoganda videos by the Covenant (343)
Edit: Mostly said that last line for a point of reference and for laughs.

The UNSC has always been sort of bad. The spartan program (orion) were originally meant to fight Insurrectionists and keep the UNSC from collapsing. It’s only the Covenant threath that prevented a full scale civil war. The UNSC even had plans for nuking civilian populations in Insurrectionist territories (mainly outer colonies). If anything, the UNSC has improved from a moral standpoint. As for ONI, they’ve always been shady, but now they are borderline evil, especially considering the attempted genocide of the Sangheilis.

> 2533274809788760;2:
> The UNSC has always been sort of bad. The spartan program (orion) were originally meant to fight Insurrectionists and keep the UNSC from collapsing. It’s only the Covenant threath that prevented a full scale civil war. The UNSC even had plans for nuking civilian populations in Insurrectionist territories (mainly outer colonies). If anything, the UNSC has improved from a moral standpoint. As for ONI, they’ve always been shady, but now they are borderline evil, especially considering the attempted genocide of the Sangheilis.

I’ve never really been a huge fan of the UNSC’s political background. They seem to not have a great respect for human rights or democracy and seem to think everything can be run and dictated from Earth. And if I remember correctly they actually did nuke a world for the crime of rebelling. I think if I lived in Halo I would probably want them down too. Granted the Covenant are the bigger threat but I think once they were dealt with the UNSC would definitely be on my list.

I blame capitalism

I’d be just as angry as humanity was after 6 races had just glassed just about everything during a holy crusade. lol

Just a change in writing and story direction. ONI has always been pretty shady though. Look at the Spartan II’s. They were kidnapped as kids, trained vigorously, and given augmentations and surgeries at a young age. Not to mention developing the Spartans to fight other humans in the beginning.

We kind of see a shift of perspective in much of the narrative post Human-Covenant War. We saw humanity pushed under a crushing thumb and doing whatever it took to survive and hence made more heroic stories of the humans. Now humanity recovering and rising in power we see different shades of the UNSC and it’s politics. That was always there, but it has been more prevalent, no?