Human Aesthetic Is Boring

Why is it that all of the UNSC structures in the Reclaimer Saga look either half built or just white and curvy? I mean the inside of the Infinity looked like it was falling apart with wires exposed and pipes jutting from walls. And the majority of the MP maps we’ve seen so far with UNSC aesthetic are no different, save for the white curvy walls with some coloring to distinguish bases from each other. It’s just grey and white with some secondary coloring. That’s all the UNSC look seems to me right now. What ever happened to the utilitarian look? In Halo 1-Reach, all the human structures looked like they had a purpose. For example, it was easy to tell that Foundry was a warehouse, and Crow’s Nest was a military base. So why is it that on a map say, Escape From ARC, a mining facility, all the buildings are white when they should be covered in dirt, and also look like they aren’t used for mining at all? In fact I can’t even tell what the buildings would be used for, they’re just random rooms with doors. The only map I’ve seen so far that this aesthetic that works on is the untitled Warzone map in the downtown of a city shown in the warzone trailer. My point is, 343 needs to step up their UNSC game, and overall Human art style as well.

I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.

I really agree with your point. Halo 4 (and some of what we’ve seen of Halo 5) has this shiny look on everything. And I also know what you mean with the aesthetic design of maps. The maps in the beta were just…off…like something was wrong with them.

> 2533275011491088;2:
> I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.

I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

> 2533274933749851;4:
> > 2533275011491088;2:
> > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
>
>
> I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

yeah, but as we’ve seen with the Elites 343 never goes backward with aesthetic styles… (unless they’re making a remake)

> 2533274892367695;5:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> yeah, but as we’ve seen with the Elites 343 never goes backward with aesthetic styles… (unless they’re making a remake)

These words pain my soul :frowning:

Beating what little remains of a dead horse.

There’s so many things I hate about the art and music direction in general, but at this point it’s not gonna change and 343I isn’t going to replace their artists.

Seriously though…compare Ghost Town, Blackout, Standoff, Foundry, and The Pit. All human maps which look nothing alike.

> 2533274933749851;4:
> > 2533275011491088;2:
> > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
>
>
> I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.

> 2533274835229788;8:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.

So that gives 343 right to do whatever they consider “Haloish” and community needs to be silent ? I too think that 343’s UNSC style is boring… Why couldnt it be more grounded I dont see anything bad with more grounded UNSC style. Leave the more curvy scifi metallic style to Covenant and the High Tech J.J Abrams lensflares to Forerunners

> 2533274933749851;4:
> > 2533275011491088;2:
> > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
>
>
> I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

Now rather than calling out you’re at a specific place, you might as well say “I’m at magenta wall!”

> 2533274873783305;10:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> Now rather than calling out you’re at a specific place, you might as well say “I’m at magenta wall!”

Wrong. You’re actually at white wall #89

> 2533274835229788;8:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.

Halo CE-Reach would LOVE a word with you.

> 2533274933749851;4:
> > 2533275011491088;2:
> > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
>
>
> I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

I understand where you are coming from, but it is the 26th century. Architecture changes over time.

> 2533274848939889;9:
> > 2533274835229788;8:
> > > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> > >
> > >
> > > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
> >
> >
> > Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.
>
>
> So that gives 343 right to do whatever they consider “Haloish” and community needs to be silent ? I too think that 343’s UNSC style is boring… Why couldnt it be more grounded I dont see anything bad with more grounded UNSC style. Leave the more curvy scifi metallic style to Covenant and the High Tech J.J Abrams lensflares to Forerunners

Is it really so crazy to think that 500 years from now humans may have changed their style of architecture just a bit?

> 2533274933749851;12:
> > 2533274835229788;8:
> > > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> > >
> > >
> > > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
> >
> >
> > Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.
>
>
> Halo CE-Reach would LOVE a word with you.

Irrelevant, those were developed by Bungie. 343 is using their own art style which they think is more representative of humanity 500 years from now. Hence the sci-fi part.

> 2533274933749851;4:
> > 2533275011491088;2:
> > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
>
>
> I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.

Grounded in reality, or grounded in the present? For a series set 500 years from now, the architecture and designs for everything in Halo: Reach looked very present-day to me.

> 2533274835229788;14:
> > 2533274848939889;9:
> > > 2533274835229788;8:
> > > > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
> > >
> > >
> > > Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.
> >
> >
> > So that gives 343 right to do whatever they consider “Haloish” and community needs to be silent ? I too think that 343’s UNSC style is boring… Why couldnt it be more grounded I dont see anything bad with more grounded UNSC style. Leave the more curvy scifi metallic style to Covenant and the High Tech J.J Abrams lensflares to Forerunners
>
>
> Is it really so crazy to think that 500 years from now humans may have changed their style of architecture just a bit?

Yes, but Halo 5 doesn’t take place 500 years after Halo 3. It’s still the same era, so the art style should reflect it. It’s called consistency and it’s something 343 isn’t very good at, and it’s also why also the changes they make between games are so jarring. It’s annoying and I wish they would stop doing it. They could have saved themselves a ton of time on writing lore entries and excuses on why the hell some designs randomly changed, too, had they not decided to basically redo the ENTIRE art style.

> 2533274933749851;17:
> > 2533274835229788;14:
> > > 2533274848939889;9:
> > > > 2533274835229788;8:
> > > > > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > > > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > > > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.
> > >
> > >
> > > So that gives 343 right to do whatever they consider “Haloish” and community needs to be silent ? I too think that 343’s UNSC style is boring… Why couldnt it be more grounded I dont see anything bad with more grounded UNSC style. Leave the more curvy scifi metallic style to Covenant and the High Tech J.J Abrams lensflares to Forerunners
> >
> >
> > Is it really so crazy to think that 500 years from now humans may have changed their style of architecture just a bit?
>
>
> Yes, but Halo 5 doesn’t take place 500 years after Halo 3. It’s still the same era, so the art style should reflect it. It’s called consistency and it’s something 343 isn’t very good at, and it’s also why also the changes they make between games are so jarring. It’s annoying and I wish they would stop doing it. They could have saved themselves a ton of time on writing lore entries and excuses on why the hell some designs randomly changed, too, had they not decided to basically redo the ENTIRE art style.

It’s their games now. Of course they’re going to use their own art style.

> 2533274835229788;8:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> Halo is a sci-fi game brother. It’s not supposed to be grounded in reality.

Incorrect. A story being of the science fiction genre can still have several elements grounded in reality. Halo has many of those elements.

That being said. I enjoy the current aesthetic very much.

> 2533274869573550;16:
> > 2533274933749851;4:
> > > 2533275011491088;2:
> > > I like it. Halo Reach-3 looked too 21st century IMO.
> >
> >
> > I think that’s the reason I liked the old aesthetic, because it was grounded in reality and I could recognize the purpose of each structure. The old art style felt plausible and believable.
>
>
> Grounded in reality, or grounded in the present? For a series set 500 years from now, the architecture and designs for everything in Halo: Reach looked very present-day to me.

But that’s the reason it looked so distinctly HUMAN. It took inspiration from modern technology and thrusted it forward 500 years in a way that was reasonable. Sword Base for example: it looks like a modern building, but made with materials that apply it to the future. You would never see a building like it today, but it would fit right in if it was built today. Hell, New Mombasa looks like a modern metropolis with a large overhaul: more metal, lights, interfaces and technology everywhere, but the technology added doesn’t radically change how a modern city would look. It is a city that seems like it could exist. The new style adds technology in a way that just doesn’t make sense as noted in the OP.