HUD Problems

Anybody else find the HUD tedious and hard to understand? I just feel as if 343 went for a minimalistic design but ended up making it more complicated than it should be. A few issues:

• hard to see what grenades you have and to change them
  • Medals are too small and generic on screen
  • having to rely on memory to remember the amount of bullets in a gun because the visual ammo counter is gone
  • a lot of important things squashed into bottom corners instead of utilizing top part of screen
  • absolute nit-picking here, but I prefer the radar a lighter blue
    Let me know what your thoughts are below!

I think you’re on to something OP, I constantly kept forgetting what grenades I had or if I had equipment.

if they could move the stuff to the top left and add and ammo counter of each individual bullet ( or have it on the gun like the needler… very intuitive ) I would be happy

That was pretty much my biggest complaint. Or have an option to customize the hud (even if it’s in a future update)

Completely agree with y’all. In past Halo games the HUD was spread out with usable information in each corner. Infinite was almost the opposite they condensed everything down to the bottom half of the screen to the point where I found it distracting to carefully look at and know which grenade I had selected or what equipment I was carrying at the time. Icons were not large enough to be quickly recognized at all.

I’d love to see it be customizable for location and size but we’ll see.

I think all of these things will be fixed when the game is released.

I dont like the HUD, it is my worst one in the halo series. Any halo game did better in HUDs than infinite. It’s all in 1 corner at bottom right and I get so confused what grenafe I’m holding. Sometimes I throw wrong one by accident.

I would appreciate an accessibility feature to have the HUD icons moved to classic positions if we wish, though I don’t anticipate this happening unfortunately.

I agree it was confusing, but Im confident 343 will fix it. I mean, Infinite is meant to be a long term game so they’ll keep updating it constantly over the years.

I definitely agree with this OP, I didn’t even bother with nades during games because I thought I had none

Agreed. Also, radar is like half the size of Halo 5 which I thought was perfect. Halo 5 HUD is honestly really good, I don’t see any reason to change it so drastically since the one in Infinite feels inferior in almost every way

> 2535436188730137;9:
> Agreed. Also, radar is like half the size of Halo 5 which I thought was perfect. Halo 5 HUD is honestly really good, I don’t see any reason to change it so drastically since the one in Infinite feels inferior in almost every way

I personally think Halo 5’s HUD is one of the best in the series, apart from the visor tech lines. If they just used the formula for old Halo’s HUDs that would have been fine by most of the community.

Yeah, you’re not alone in this for sure, the bottom right corner was especially chaotic.

Another personal preference that I’m begging for in the settings, is a lowered crossheir option. I’m slightly allergic to centred in fps games, especially Halo. And I know I’m not alone in that so I hope they give both groups what they want like in MCC.

I also found myself missing the little bullet shaped indicators of how much we have left in our clip, more than I expected to miss it. Anyone else?

I agree, would be really cool if we could customize the HUD or at least have a modern and classic option.

I honestly think its over designed. There are too many graphic elements popping up. Even in the menus, it really gives me the “modern shooter” look. It’s not that it looks bad, it doesn’t feel like Halo to me. Why can’t we keep the simplicity of Halo in the right places? I saw Greenskull’s video of an infinite match with no HUD and that alone made it look more like home because that graphical “noise” wasn’t there.

Does 343 really feel like the need to redesign every element of Halo? Isn’t that why we are back to the “old school” look from 1-3 + Reach? because of the complaints from the fans?

I don’t like the hud placement, but I’m less in favor of remodeling the hud and instead in favor of giving players the option in the config settings to move hud placements around, like the weapons/grenade indicator, for instance. I mean, the game has enough customization already. Why isn’t this included?

I’m a Halo player since 2001. First comment here on the community. That should tell you how much concerned I am for that unbelievable HUD. Please just put it in the top right corner like every Halo. Bottom corners are useless; eyes never go there. C’mon -.-
Oh and yeah, make it customizable.

How does people feel about this HUD. I kinda like, it. A mix between new and classic style? And I do still like the box in the new HUD, for grenades and equipment.

I will repeat what I say before:
I like the new HUD, it is simple and clean. Like my desktop. Haha.

The thing I want them to improve or change is the ammo counter too, a more classic traditional visual of the bullets styles. But having a HUD customization options like changing color or to switch different HUD style throughout the Halo series. It is a win for all of us.

If we think, every part of the HUD in each game mode. It will take a lot of space in screen, example firefight, campaign score, challenge, forge, etc. Maybe the upper left corner is reserve for firefight rounds and waves like ODST. And in campaign, we have seen that mission objective is reserve for top left corner. Right corner is maybe campaign and firefight score with time, score multiplier and challenge? In my opinion, 343 did a great job on this HUD, they have changed the style a bit, since E3 gameplay, and I think they will improve the HUD more and take feedback.

Sorry for my English. EDIT

See the only problem I can see for 343 allowing customization for the HUD is that it messes with the button layout for controller especially. For example, if you make the grenade switcher more like halo 3, you can’t drop weapons anymore. I’ve done a bit of thinking and research, and the best HUD layout (in my opinion) is: shield in top mid, clear icons for the grenades Halo Reach style in bottom right (only needing one button on the D-Pad and no sub-menus to navigate), equipment in the same spot, visual ammo counter top right with secondary weapon icon, score counter in bottom mid (but smaller as its relatively easy to tell the score plus you have an additional button if you want to look at it), and radar in bottom left (light blue, indicators of height). This would allow 343 to keep their relatively minimalistic design without getting too cluttered and hard to see.

An additional problem that is partly related to the outline system - hard to see how much shields an enemy player has and whether they have overshield or not. Also too faint at times and have to double check if its an opponent. Sometimes its too distinctive and you can’t see the supposed “better player expression”. My solution for this is put a red (or whatever colour of your choice) indicator above the opposing team’s heads, and put a fainter outline. Have the classic halo 3 art style in terms of what a spartan looks like with overshield, half shield and such. You’ll also have the serial number above your teammates head as in halo 3.

> 2683394777983320;16:
> How does people feel about this HUD. I kinda like, it. A mix between new and classic style? And I do still like the box in the new HUD, for grenades and equipment.
>
> I will repeat what I say before:
> I like the HUD, it is simple and clean. Like my desktop. Haha.
>
> The thing I want them to improve or change is the ammo counter too, a more classic traditional visual of the bullets styles. But having a HUD customization options like changing color or to switch different HUD style throughout the Halo series. It is a win for all of us.
>
> If we think, every part of the HUD in each game mode. It will take a lot of space in screen, example firefight, campaign score, challenge, forge, etc. Maybe the upper left corner is reserve for firefight rounds and waves like ODST. And in campaign, we have seen that mission objective is reserve for top left corner. Right corner is maybe campaign and firefight score with time, score multiplier and challenge? In my opinion, 343 did a great job on this HUD, they have changed the style a bit, since E3 gameplay, and I think they will improve the HUD more and take feedback.
>
> Sorry for my English.

the hud u showed was ok but the info was still a little too crammed and the equipment box is missing
edit: and you’d have to get rid of drop weapon button / ai scan / mark system

> 2535435819968878;18:
> > 2683394777983320;16:
> > How does people feel about this HUD. I kinda like, it. A mix between new and classic style? And I do still like the box in the new HUD, for grenades and equipment.
> >
> > I will repeat what I say before:
> > I like the HUD, it is simple and clean. Like my desktop. Haha.
> >
> > The thing I want them to improve or change is the ammo counter too, a more classic traditional visual of the bullets styles. But having a HUD customization options like changing color or to switch different HUD style throughout the Halo series. It is a win for all of us.
> >
> > If we think, every part of the HUD in each game mode. It will take a lot of space in screen, example firefight, campaign score, challenge, forge, etc. Maybe the upper left corner is reserve for firefight rounds and waves like ODST. And in campaign, we have seen that mission objective is reserve for top left corner. Right corner is maybe campaign and firefight score with time, score multiplier and challenge? In my opinion, 343 did a great job on this HUD, they have changed the style a bit, since E3 gameplay, and I think they will improve the HUD more and take feedback.
> >
> > Sorry for my English.
>
> the hud u showed was ok but the info was still a little too crammed and the equipment box is missing
> edit: and you’d have to get rid of drop weapon button / ai scan / mark system

That HUD was only an example with ammo visual counter, which I really liked and the placement. And I know that equipment and grenade box is missing. It is not my picture or MOD, but a lot of people have made a good design of it in Halo 3. Here is another example. And I don’t understand what you mean by this?

> “and you’d have to get rid of drop weapon button / ai scan / mark system”

As I said. I approve the new HUD, just need some improvement, like when ammo and the reserve is running low, when throwing grenades, showing second grenades type, picking up stuff and of course, the ammo visual counter.

The HUD resembled a lot ODST, each corner at bottom, minus the motion tracker, in my opinion. And if you think about it, Halo CE had a crammed info too, if the shield was top middle and weapon box was at the right bottom corner. It is almost a spirituel reboot. Original and mock up HUD. But yeah, that’s old school.

I understand that many don’t like new changes for the HUD, But I do think the design team work hard on how the HUD should be, and many decisions was made. And an Improvement is in work, after all the feedback. So let’s hope it will be nice.

> 2533274860712851;4:
> I think all of these things will be fixed when the game is released.

Yeah, 343 has getting feedback, and they want to fix all these things that we are talking about.