HTT #10: So, civilians know about the S-IIIs now?

Along with the astonishment that such a man as Del Rio could become a senator, his speech shocked me in another way: I didn’t realize that the distinction between Spartan-II and Spartan-IV programs was common knowledge for civilians. With Del Rio railing against the “corroded minds of the Spartan-IIs” and “personally vouching for the character of the Spartan IVs,” are there really no civilians counting on their fingers and thinking, “Garsh, ain’t there another number in between thurr?”

I always thought that, after ONI went public with the Spartan program with the IIs, all other generations noticed by the public were lumped under the general “Spartan” category. To a civilian, a big dude in big armor is a Spartan, period–they don’t know the difference between generations or armor permutations like we do.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, or I missed something in the lore–but as a huge fan of the IIIs and the secretive veil over that program, I was startled to hear a public speech by a public figure that inadvertently revealed: “Yes, there was in fact a Spartan-III program. It existed.”

I seem to recall real instances of marks that are developed and never realized before the new version gets started, which would explain the 2-4 gap and make sense to civilians, besides, shouldn’t the question also be “do they know about Spartan 1s?” They probably think that 3s were a failed project that never came to fruition

They could easily have made up something about the spartan IIIs. But considering their… lighter beginnings… it might have gone public.

Maybe the public thinks of SPARTAN-IIIs the same way we think of Windows 9. “Yeah, I know they skipped a number, but why did they skip that number?” :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274843742113;4:
> Maybe the public thinks of SPARTAN-IIIs the same way we think of Windows 9. “Yeah, I know they skipped a number, but why did they skip that number?” :stuck_out_tongue:

exactly, they could easily make up some -Yoink- considering this happens in reality, ONI could hide it.

> 2533274894863132;2:
> I seem to recall real instances of marks that are developed and never realized before the new version gets started, which would explain the 2-4 gap and make sense to civilians, besides, shouldn’t the question also be “do they know about Spartan 1s?” They probably think that 3s were a failed project that never came to fruition

F-18, F-22, F-35

> 2533274843742113;4:
> Maybe the public thinks of SPARTAN-IIIs the same way we think of Windows 9. “Yeah, I know they skipped a number, but why did they skip that number?” :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 Relevant Microsoft reference

Spartan-III Program being publicized is extremely far-fetched… war-torn orphans turned suicide soldiers, doesn’t scream heroic… however what about the Spartan I.1s, Spartan II.1s, Spartan-III.1s, Spartan-IV.1s… the children of the augmented?

Spartan Thorne’s pamphlet in the Halo 4 Limited Edition mentions how even in the Spartan Branch information on the S-IIIs is very limited and pretty much deals with scattered reports during the Battle of Reach. But yeah, if the Spartan-IIs being culled from a lot of Outer Colony worlds riles people up, imagine informing those same colonies their orphans became cannon fodder. Yikes.

Knowing ONI they probably made something up. Maybe said it was a program that never went anywhere, or had its funding diverted after only producing a few Spartans (known as Nobel Team)

They have to end up knowing eventually, if Halsey’s 2589 eulogy to Noble Six is canon. Presumably things have died down by then.

It’s entirely possible that Spartan III’s killed throughout the war may simply be given the designation ‘Spartan’ with no reference to class. We know that the S-IIIs recovered from Onyx (I prefer it’s original name… Sorry Kurt but you should’ve put your Mk.V armor on) were given assignments in the outer reaches of humanity space combating the Covenant Remanent.

While the the public may suspect an S-III program its existence would be best left denied, too many questions and the S-III program was (in my opinion) more horrendous then the S-II program.