How would 2 discs work?

Just some quick rapid fire questions…

1. If 343 put the campaign on disc 1 and the multiplayer/firefight/etc on a second disc like ODST was, how much free space would that technically free up for making the campaign either longer or more cutscenes, etc. Would it be worth splitting for the extra content you get out of it?

2. How much could it add up to the consumer at the end of the day, an extra 5 or 10 bucks on the list price?

3. Would you pay it for a more epic campaign and just content in general? Maybe even a bigger amount of stock maps for all multiplayer game modes…

1. I think the multiplayer/campaign were split between disks because of the changes they made to the game. Different weapons, different personal physics… that kind of stuff. I don’t know how much free space it would make, but i’d hope they set it up so you had to install 1 disk and play through the other. This way the xbox would read 1 disk for whatever reason, but run whatever other features off of the hard drive without having to change disks.

2. Hopefully it would stay at regular price. I doubt they’ll have a double disk game, but who knows at this point

3. I’m willing to pay regular price for a videogame with DLC that i can choose to pay for later.

1. As long as both are epic, I wouldn’t care

2. Well, L.A. Noire cost me $60 and it’s 3 disks, so no price increase (probably?)

3. Yes

Ω

Did they say there was going to be two disks? If so link?

1: Naturally a split between 2 disks would mean there is more space on disk one for the campaign part of the game. Standard length for a Halo game is about 10 levels however, so I wouldn’t expect anything significantly longer than that, so there also is no apparant need for a split between two disks (at first thought). Only two Halo games which had longer campaigns were Halo 2 and Wars, and both came on 1 disk.

2: I got Mass Effect 2, ODST and Forza 3, all on 2 disks and they cost nothing extra (except for my copies being limited editions).

3: I pay whatever the game will cost.

But so far, 343i never said the game would be split over 2 disks so I wouldn’t count on it yet.
If it does happen, I would like disk 2 to be an installation disk, much like how it is with Forza 3, so I can just play the content from both disks through disk 1.

Nope haven’t heard anything, just chit chatting. I just felt like Reach was constricted as far as campaign goes, figured maybe expanding to 2 discs would help get bigger levels, more objectives or levels, and more cutscenes:)

ODST was two discs because the Matchmaking disc contained all of the Halo 3 multiplayer maps and more. Halo 3: ODST’s main disc engine is slightly modified from the Halo 3 engine, so that’s two reasons why they were two discs. It wasn’t necessarily because ODST’s campaign was longer. On the contrary. Combined, maybe the whole Single-Player, Co-Op, and Firefight might have been longer than Halo 3’s, but it wasn’t because the campaign was longer.

As for Halo 4 being on two discs, we won’t know until more detail is released. I wouldn’t hold my breath.
But to add to the discussion I’ll add some speculative stuff.

The only reason Halo 4 should/ would be more than one disc is if the campaign was longer. It’s most likely a different or modified engine, but I doubt they’ll do what they did for ODST. If 4 is two discs, one would be entirely the campaign and the second would be Halo 4’s Multiplayer.

But you have to take into consideration their development budget, and time. There’s only so much they can do with so much money in so much time. So they might have to cut stuff out of the campaign to save on money and time. Remember, Microsoft owns 343, so they set timelines and the budget.

But given the size limitations of the XBox discs, I’d say there’s a chance that Halo 4 could be on two discs. But, like I said, I wouldn’t hold my breath. (L.A. Noire, for example, was on 3-discs because of the limitations of the XBox disc. Whereas the PS3 Blu-Ray can fit the game on one or two discs.)

It isn’t gana be 2 disks, Reach still had 1.5 gigs extra plus now with the new disk format it has more room.

> 1. I think the multiplayer/campaign were split between disks because of the changes they made to the game. Different weapons, different personal physics… that kind of stuff. I don’t know how much free space it would make, but i’d hope they set it up so you had to install 1 disk and play through the other. This way the xbox would read 1 disk for whatever reason, but run whatever other features off of the hard drive without having to change disks.

Agree

> But you have to take into consideration their development budget, and time. There’s only so much they can do with so much money in so much time. So they might have to cut stuff out of the campaign to save on money and time. Remember, Microsoft owns 343, so they set timelines and the budget.

RAGE’s 3 discs are simply splitting up the single-player experience across 2 discs and then 1 disc for the Multiplayer

Remember HALO 4 don’t need to develop The other two versions

Rage runs at 60fps on 360

Although I don’t like this game.
(I don’t care splitting up the single-player if you can use Hard Drive Installation and without having to change disks,Remember in reach no Hard Drive no Full functionality)

But HALO4 should be better than his performance
343 is First-party developer Their resources should be more abundant

They could have two discs so as they wouldn’t run out of space. One of the discs you could install on your hard drive and never need to use again. The other, you just use like a normal disc for halo. I think lots more could be put into the game and more features and maps ect. Bigger maps aswel.

What do you guys think?

it might be more costly to ship 2 disks

You could install one of the discs onto your hard drive and only have to put the multiplayer disc in when playing halo 4, the campaign would be on your hard drive so that it can be accessed on the multiplayer disc.

To be honest, I’d hope they would have figured out how to include everything on two discs. I don’t want to have to switch discs to go do something (I plan on playing campaigns a lot).

If halo 4 had two disk one for story and one for multi. and forge, they could have a huge story full of hidden things and amazing game play and have a lot more maps in multi. and forge. but if they made it three disk forge could have all this stuff every one is asking for in the forums like breaking glass and buttons. it would be kind a pain to switch them when u want to play but i wouldn’t mind if it made the game better. post what you all think about this.

> If halo 4 had two disk one for story and one for multi. and forge, they could have a huge story full of hidden things and amazing game play and have a lot more maps in multi. and forge. but if they made it three disk forge could have all this stuff every one is asking for in the forums like breaking glass and buttons. it would be kind a pain to switch them when u want to play but i wouldn’t mind if it made the game better. post what you all think about this.

what microsoft needs to come up with, is xbox or atleast an attachment, that allows people to have multiple discs inside the xbox at once,

that would be a little hard to do but would be very cool