How Will the Terminals Make Sense?

Do you wonder how they’re going to make sense?

Frankie has explicitly stated many times that there will be one Terminal per level… but… from what I understand Terminals are Forerunner tech. Do you wonder how in the realms of canon this is going to work on levels devoid of anything Forerunner, like when on board the Pillar of Autumn?

I trust 343i that they have found a way for it to be feasible. I’m not so much worried about it, but more… intrigued.

Also… regarding a shot in the Sneak Peek video where there are only 6 monitors…

I’ve heard and read discussion about this. Some users have said that perhaps 343 Guilty Spark isn’t present, or is simply watching them from afar. In response, others have commented how 2401 Penitent Tangent appears to be missing.

Well, I have a possible explanation. Just as Spark turned red when it became rampant, perhaps so did Tangent? And therefore, red is not 2401 Penitent Tangent’s true colour. Tangent could be one of the other coloured moniors seen in the Sneak Peek trailer.

Or you know, he could just be missing as others have theorised. Time will tell.

I’ve been wondering the same thing, and I was thinking that maybe the “terminals” on levels such as The Pillar of Autumn will maybe have a helmet camera as the “terminal”. Or, perhaps they will have a Data Pad type thing that has video on it, instead of just text. As far as covenant goes…who knows what they will do with these terminals.

They could always justify it by saying that the terminals themselves aren’t canon, just the story that they are telling.

> They could always justify it by saying that the terminals themselves aren’t canon, just the story that they are telling.

This is what I was wondering too and I agree, this is the most likely case.

> Also… regarding a shot in the Sneak Peek video where there are only 6 monitors…
>
> I’ve heard and read discussion about this. Some users have said that perhaps 343 Guilty Spark isn’t present, or is simply watching them from afar. In response, others have commented how 2401 Penitent Tangent appears to be missing.
>
> Well, I have a possible explanation. Just as Spark turned red when it became rampant, perhaps so did Tangent? And therefore, red is not 2401 Penitent Tangent’s true colour. Tangent could be one of the other coloured moniors seen in the Sneak Peek trailer.
>
> Or you know, he could just be missing as others have theorised. Time will tell.

I think Tangent isn’t there, and i also think he is red and that he wasn’t ‘rampant’ just mad in the same way cortana is when you save her in halo 3 (she seems to be fine once she is saved)

make human terminals and covenant terminals. simple

It’s possible that 343 Guilty Spark hacked into human and Covenant terminals to play his videos.

I’m assuming the terminals act like they did in Halo 3. Just back story and nothing interactive.

Well, there is no guarantee that the terminals will all be about the same story. Some could be Covenant terminals from an Elite’s perspective upon landing on the ring world. Or maybe a marine’s private computer talking about his life. I dont think 343 ever confirmed that all the terminals will be linked to the Forerunners.

> It’s possible that 343 Guilty Spark hacked into human and Covenant terminals to play his videos.

That’s an interesting theory. Spark would have to have wi-fi or something to hack into the Autumn just after it comes out of slipspace in the first level though hehe.

> I think Tangent isn’t there, and i also think he is red and that he wasn’t ‘rampant’ just mad in the same way cortana is when you save her in halo 3 (she seems to be fine once she is saved)

Hmm… the map Backwash does seem to support that. I’m sticking with my guns and predicting that red is a colour used to denote rampancy however.

> Well, there is no guarantee that the terminals will all be about the same story. Some could be Covenant terminals from an Elite’s perspective upon landing on the ring world. Or maybe a marine’s private computer talking about his life. I dont think 343 ever confirmed that all the terminals will be linked to the Forerunners.

This.

Yes, Frankie has answered this question. Though we don’t know the details, 343 realizes that The Pillar of Autumn is a human ship, etc, and that those locations will be addressed accordingly. Let’s see where it goes.

The terminals are probably from different perspectives. Like on Pillar of Autumn it would make sense that it could be from Cortana’s perspective. On The Truth and Reconciliation and Keyes it could be from the ship master’s perspective. You see, what I have understood is that the terminals don’t have a set timeline. Some of them tell about present time, some tell about past, who knows, maybe some of them could tell about future in some way. But anyways, I see no reason why they couldn’t also tell from different perspectives.

I do believe at comic con he said something along these lines " The terminals will be put into every level, but make sense" this could mean that the terminals for missions that are not on a forerunner artifact could be a human design or covenent design. sorry if it dosent make much sense I had to try to remember what exactly he had said

I could have sworn this was confirmed that the terminals are gonna be from various points of view and match up according to the levels geography such as human terminal on pillar of autumn and forerunner terminal on library etc. Do not remember where this was stated but do believe it was either in a sparkast or at the comic con panel.

I’m guessing that the PoA terminal will be the easiest to find and it will probably be in that dark tutorial room or near the bridge.

> I could have sworn this was confirmed that the terminals are gonna be from various points of view and match up according to the levels geography such as human terminal on pillar of autumn and forerunner terminal on library etc. Do not remember where this was stated but do believe it was either in a sparkast or at the comic con panel.

Yes thank you, that is what I meant on my eariler reply, I do believe they said it at comic con because someone else had asked a question on how the terminals were gonna make sense in the various human/covenent surroundings.

Ah, I see. I didn’t watch or hear about any of the comic-con coverage.

> They could always justify it by saying that the terminals themselves aren’t canon, just the story that they are telling.

Interesting idea. Guess we’ll have to wait until November to find out.