How will Infinite exactly, be a live service game?

Ok so I have seen a lot of places saying that Infinite will be a live service game, which will allow it to have content added, and last for 10 years, but what does that mean? I have also heard a lot of comparisons to Infinite being like Destiny 2 in this regard, which imo would be the worst, Destiny 2 has no offline gameplay, and all campaign requires you to be online and connected to Bungie servers, due to this Bungie has removed several campaign story lines from Destiny 2 that can literally not be replayed, this all contributes to why I dropped Destiny 2 and will not touch it again. If this is the kind of live service game that the Halo Infinite campaign will be, then we are all doomed and I regret calling myself a halo fan. If however the live service campaign expansions will simply be new campaign dlc’s, you can purchase and download to play everything including the OG campaign offline, then I think Halo still has a future. If anyone can shed some light on Infinites live service campaign expansion structure, I would appreciate it.

far more likely that it’ll be similar to halo 5. ideally new maps, new weapons, new modes added for free supported by the battlepass monetization system. it’s possible that campaign may have paid dlc.

> 2533274953195665;2:
> far more likely that it’ll be similar to halo 5. ideally new maps, new weapons, new modes added for free supported by the battlepass monetization system. it’s possible that campaign may have paid dlc.

It’s going to have content added dramatically.mlre than Halo 5. I’d say Halo 5 is a poor example of live service. Halo Infinite will continuously add content every 3 months for MP. Campaign is TBD right now.

We really don’t know.

But the default community opinion is to assume all the worst bits of any other live service game.

By cutting old content and introducing it later apparently (co-op and forge)

> 2585548714655118;4:
> We really don’t know.
>
> But the default community opinion is to assume all the worst bits of any other live service game.

Has Microsoft and its gaming studios over the years, given reason not to expect the worst?

There’s a reason some expect the worst.

> 2533274792737987;3:
> > 2533274953195665;2:
> > far more likely that it’ll be similar to halo 5. ideally new maps, new weapons, new modes added for free supported by the battlepass monetization system. it’s possible that campaign may have paid dlc.
>
> It’s going to have content added dramatically.mlre than Halo 5. I’d say Halo 5 is a poor example of live service. Halo Infinite will continuously add content every 3 months for MP. Campaign is TBD right now.

Since multiplayer inherently requires you to be online anyways, its not my main concern with the live service model, campaign is my main concern. From what I understand, the Infinite campaign will be getting several expansions over the 10 year life span of the game, I really just don’t want to see the infinite campaign/campaign expansions take after Destiny, or EA’s Anthem, where it is run off online servers, making it so an Internet connection is required to play the campaign, any game using that model is dumb and self destructive. As long as Infinite has fully offline capable and self contained campaign/ campaign expansion DLC’s similar to Halo Reach through Halo 5, I will be happy.

> 2585548714655118;4:
> We really don’t know.
>
> But the default community opinion is to assume all the worst bits of any other live service game.

I do see this mind set / default opinion throughout much of the community as well, I try to ignore it as I really want Infinite to be a massive success, but certain things such as the opening question of this thread, and other things scare me, and there is still so much we don’t know. I guess this all really comes down to first world problems though, doesn’t it.

> 2533274811807878;5:
> By cutting old content and introducing it later apparently (co-op and forge)

At this point I would be very happy if that’s all a “Live Service Game” meant, as at least those things are still coming, but alas I don’t think things are that simple. What sucks is 343 has proven they are very capable of doing churning out great products with how well the MCC has turned out, but they still seem to be on the path of a possible train wreck with Halo Infinite, I just want December to get here so that I can be proven wrong about them crashing and burning.

I expect what they envisage is seasons, with new maps, weapons, skins, emotes, possibly themes and of course new battle passes and challenges.

In reality, that’ll probably last for 6 months to a year, then they’ll abandon the game because it’s player base won’t justify the effort.

> 2535468804279224;7:
> > 2533274792737987;3:
> > > 2533274953195665;2:
> > > far more likely that it’ll be similar to halo 5. ideally new maps, new weapons, new modes added for free supported by the battlepass monetization system. it’s possible that campaign may have paid dlc.
> >
> > It’s going to have content added dramatically.mlre than Halo 5. I’d say Halo 5 is a poor example of live service. Halo Infinite will continuously add content every 3 months for MP. Campaign is TBD right now.
>
> Since multiplayer inherently requires you to be online anyways, its not my main concern with the live service model, campaign is my main concern. From what I understand, the Infinite campaign will be getting several expansions over the 10 year life span of the game, I really just don’t want to see the infinite campaign/campaign expansions take after Destiny, or EA’s Anthem, where it is run off online servers, making it so an Internet connection is required to play the campaign, any game using that model is dumb and self destructive. As long as Infinite has fully offline capable and self contained campaign/ campaign expansion DLC’s similar to Halo Reach through Halo 5, I will be happy.

I would argue that Halo is far more natural for that type of story progression than any of those. I agree with the unfortunate nature of online gaming and the terrible nature it brings with Campaign. That just sucks however it doesn’t bother me personally.

They gonna try and set thus game up like destiny with the game changing and then adding things to the campaign

Valid points would be nice to get some clarifications on this especially for those of us living with spotty internet

Given the lack of core features until well after launch and quality/stability concerns, I’d call it more of an early access game.

> 2533274953195665;2:
> far more likely that it’ll be similar to halo 5. ideally new maps, new weapons, new modes added for free supported by the battlepass monetization system. it’s possible that campaign may have paid dlc.

Yeah, H5 was held by the new content along of the first years, something like that will happen in Infinite, probably.

Seeing how 343 handle and updating MCC with season 8 content, gives a good idea, what will come for Halo Infinite.

Adding returning weapons for campaign and multiplayer, some sort of new mission for each sessons, Firefight updates and campaign expansion?

Maybe we get a new mission when co-op launch?

> 2535468804279224;1:
> Ok so I have seen a lot of places saying that Infinite will be a live service game, which will allow it to have content added, and last for 10 years, but what does that mean? I have also heard a lot of comparisons to Infinite being like Destiny 2 in this regard, which imo would be the worst, Destiny 2 has no offline gameplay, and all campaign requires you to be online and connected to Bungie servers, due to this Bungie has removed several campaign story lines from Destiny 2 that can literally not be replayed, this all contributes to why I dropped Destiny 2 and will not touch it again. If this is the kind of live service game that the Halo Infinite campaign will be, then we are all doomed and I regret calling myself a halo fan. If however the live service campaign expansions will simply be new campaign dlc’s, you can purchase and download to play everything including the OG campaign offline, then I think Halo still has a future. If anyone can shed some light on Infinites live service campaign expansion structure, I would appreciate it.

I think Halo could actually be a really good fit for a Destiny 2 style game mode.

Imagine if in the MP menu there was an option called Landfall (a cute throw back), which dropped your MP Spartan into the campaign map, with a lobby of 24 other players or your party. From here you can free-roam, attack enemy scouting parties, find collectables and hidden areas, beacons that can launch you into campaign objectives, etc. Maybe at UNSC outpost, you can pick up commendation related bounties, and such. Also, this is where live events will take place, such as a ship arriving above the map, or whatever cool shenanigans you can imagine.

If you get the Season Pass, this would unlock a weekly becon, that activates a mission directed to you by Spartan Agryna and other campaign characters, in a story that takes place post-campaign. A short in-engine cutscene would play, showing your Spartan interacting with characters. You can scip and be dropped strait back into the game, or watch it play out and drop in after.

Back in the menu, you would be able to launch these missions from a drop-down as they become available if you wanted to play solo and skip the map, but matchmaking would offer a rotation of missions too.

As Seasons 2 and 3 are added, those missions would appear as different waypoints, which could be toggled on and off depending on which seasons you wanted to play through. Assuming there is a campaign expansion in Year 2, this will bring a new map for the following 3 seasons.

To get around the file size problem, the game would function like the MCC, with each campaign able to be toggled on and off at will. With the MP technically being a separately launched game, it would require you to have the current Year’s map downloaded, but like campaign, you would be able to toggle previous year’s maps.
I see no point in toggling maps for modes like Arena and BTB, etc, but they wouldn’t be tied to seasonal toggles. The Year’s campaign will likely share a lot of assets, so combined size could be less than their individual sizes.

All in all, if you’re keen to save space for other games, you’d need only the MP launcher and current year map downloaded.

I mean, all that sounds pretty good to me. We probably won’t get that of corse, but it’s nice to dream haha.

that’s the big mystery, nobody knows

> 2533274811807878;5:
> By cutting old content and introducing it later apparently (co-op and forge)

I think it’s funny how many people just can’t comprehend the difference between “cut content” and “development cycles for different features progress on different timelines with different levels of difficulty for the obstacles that present themselves”.

Before online updates existed, it was literally a development requirement that features had to be completed at the same time, or they would be cut forever (Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II is a great example. As is Halo 2). Now we live in a world where features that would have been left on the cutting room floor forever can be delivered later, and people are upset at that for some reason.

So that’s what a live service game means. Features that hit too many development hurdles to make it at launch will be implemented when they’re in a playable state, in addition to continuous armor, weapon, map, and misc add-ons. In addition we’ll get new modes and maps down the road that were likely never even concepted until post launch. As someone who works on a software engineering team at my company (non-game software) people complaining about cut features don’t understand the process and difficulty of taking a feature from request -> concept -> test -> remediation -> test -> release for development teams.

Especially with the complexity of modern architecture, which is almost always a mix of modern code, and code that’s been in use for 10+ years. Getting that stuff to work together always has crazy unexpected interactions that have to be dealt with.

> 2533274810945725;17:
> > 2535468804279224;1:
> > Ok so I have seen a lot of places saying that Infinite will be a live service game, which will allow it to have content added, and last for 10 years, but what does that mean? I have also heard a lot of comparisons to Infinite being like Destiny 2 in this regard, which imo would be the worst, Destiny 2 has no offline gameplay, and all campaign requires you to be online and connected to Bungie servers, due to this Bungie has removed several campaign story lines from Destiny 2 that can literally not be replayed, this all contributes to why I dropped Destiny 2 and will not touch it again. If this is the kind of live service game that the Halo Infinite campaign will be, then we are all doomed and I regret calling myself a halo fan. If however the live service campaign expansions will simply be new campaign dlc’s, you can purchase and download to play everything including the OG campaign offline, then I think Halo still has a future. If anyone can shed some light on Infinites live service campaign expansion structure, I would appreciate it.
>
> I think Halo could actually be a really good fit for a Destiny 2 style game mode.
>
> Imagine if in the MP menu there was an option called Landfall (a cute throw back), which dropped your MP Spartan into the campaign map, with a lobby of 24 other players or your party. From here you can free-roam, attack enemy scouting parties, find collectables and hidden areas, beacons that can launch you into campaign objectives, etc. Maybe at UNSC outpost, you can pick up commendation related bounties, and such. Also, this is where live events will take place, such as a ship arriving above the map, or whatever cool shenanigans you can imagine.
>
> If you get the Season Pass, this would unlock a weekly becon, that activates a mission directed to you by Spartan Agryna and other campaign characters, in a story that takes place post-campaign. A short in-engine cutscene would play, showing your Spartan interacting with characters. You can scip and be dropped strait back into the game, or watch it play out and drop in after.
>
> Back in the menu, you would be able to launch these missions from a drop-down as they become available if you wanted to play solo and skip the map, but matchmaking would offer a rotation of missions too.
>
> As Seasons 2 and 3 are added, those missions would appear as different waypoints, which could be toggled on and off depending on which seasons you wanted to play through. Assuming there is a campaign expansion in Year 2, this will bring a new map for the following 3 seasons.
>
> To get around the file size problem, the game would function like the MCC, with each campaign able to be toggled on and off at will. With the MP technically being a separately launched game, it would require you to have the current Year’s map downloaded, but like campaign, you would be able to toggle previous year’s maps.
> I see no point in toggling maps for modes like Arena and BTB, etc, but they wouldn’t be tied to seasonal toggles. The Year’s campaign will likely share a lot of assets, so combined size could be less than their individual sizes.
>
> All in all, if you’re keen to save space for other games, you’d need only the MP launcher and current year map downloaded.
>
> I mean, all that sounds pretty good to me. We probably won’t get that of corse, but it’s nice to dream haha.

Destiny strength is that it is a looter shooter shooter and thus lends itself very well ( in theory) to the seasonal model of get more guns and armor to do the harder seasonal pve content. There is incentive every time you play to be rewarded and your character becomes more powerful in both pve and pvp as a result.

Halos version is oh look another pretty visor it simply will not work long term. Cosmetics are a not a great incentive driver to play long term. Yet this is the whole system that 343 have built the f2p/ battlepass model on.