How will ground-pounding a vehicle work?

… Will the vehicle take damage, or even be destroyed based on it’s condition? And, will that be relevant to how the vehicle’s occupant takes damage? This would be interesting.

(Sorry if this subject has already been addressed).

Also, question: When ground-pounding in the beta, how do you cancel-out the ground-pound while in the air?

Thanks

good question I would like to know as well

Bug on a windshield.

I hope it results in some hilariously stupid, Halo 1 style vehicle-flipping, but maybe that’s just me.

Maybe It could trigger a boarding animation? It would be difficult to execute properly, so maybe wherever you hit the vehicle you could board the nearest passenger? Well that might not work because tanks would be too easy to board… Am I on to something here? Lol

Hopefully it won’t work, and the offending ground-pounder will bounce off and probably die, or something. Vehicles have been nerfed enough.

I say driver gets a splatter. I hope it results in either the drivers victory or a bounce off. But who knows. This is my only concern with GP

I would imagine it would depend on the vehicle.

Being damaging to a Warthog makes sense but I’m hoping that if you try to pound a Scorpion tank it just laughs at you and runs you over.

God I hope it doesn’t work like that. Anyone trying to ground pound a moving vehicle should splatter hilariously against the grill. Maybe, MAYBE, I could see a direct hit killing passengers(such as the back of the mongoose).

It would make no sense for vehicles of any size to suddenly be destroyed by a spartan falling on it especially when those same vehicles have been shown to both carry spartans with ease and run them over without damage.

Hopefully the ground pounder will die.

I would say that damage done should scale with the difficulty of hitting the target. Small, nippy things like the mongoose/ghost would take heavy damage, Warthogs medium, and Tanks very little. Of course, if you hit the front whilst the vehicle is moving very fast, you should die. It shouldn’t be useless, though. Nor should you die for just attempting it. Hitting the back/side shouldnt kill you outright.
Also, InB4 Banshee skypound trick shot montages.

Ground pound doesn’t make sense in the first place…its an AOE damage ability–it shouldn’t damage anything outside of what has been directly impacted. Plus, when you hit the ground at high velocities, the ground typically hits back, and should affect your shields.

As to vehicles…if you can splatter a Spartan with no damage to a Mongoose in a horizontal direction…

Ah, to heck with it. Ground pound is essentially thruster pack + melee. It shouldn’t provide any more damage than Sprint [which uses thruster pack] + Melee…which doesn’t provide more damage than base movement speed + melee, which leads me to the conclusion that something is wrong with Spartan Charge, as well. [Thruster Pack Sprint + Thruster Pack + Melee?]

Hmm…

Mongoose: If you hit, kill the driver and probably passenger and destroy or badly damage the mongoose

Ghost: Shields are taken down off both sides (Ground Pounder and driver)unless direct hit, Ghost takes a fair amount of damage

Warthog: Warthog takes some damage, Ground Pounder lose’s shields, if direct hit on a player they die

Wraith: Little damage to wraith, if boosting Ground Pounder dies, driver loses about 25% shield

Scorpion: Little damage to scorpion, driver loses about 25% shield

Banshee: Banshee should probably get wrecked

Smaller vehicles like the mongoose or ghost should be able to run away before the ground pound is complete. I would say that only the scorpion or the wraith without boosting are slow enough to not be able to get out of the way.

Not everyone seems to know this, but most (all?) Halo game engines support type weaknesses – plasma and bullets doing different amounts of damage to shields, health, vehicles, and so on. I’ve seen some people concerned that Ground Pound will wreck vehicles given the damage it does to players, but that may not be how things turn out.

In any case, if you have suggestions like that – Ground Pound (or other powers) doing more or less damage to certain objects – then go ahead and post, because 343i can probably do that kind of stuff in the newest engine. :slight_smile:

I guess it would depend on how fast the vehicle is moving: If its going fast enough to splatter, you’re gonna get hurt real bad. Against a slow moving/stationary vehicle… maybe that would do some damage to the vehicle.

> 2533274932540799;11:
> I would say that damage done should scale with the difficulty of hitting the target. Small, nippy things like the mongoose/ghost would take heavy damage, Warthogs medium, and Tanks very little. Of course, if you hit the front whilst the vehicle is moving very fast, you should die. It shouldn’t be useless, though. Nor should you die for just attempting it. Hitting the back/side shouldnt kill you outright.
> Also, InB4 Banshee skypound trick shot montages.

Thanks. Yeah, I think it would depend on the vehicle and its condition, and the occupant(s) condition, too. If a nade can affect a tank some, then a GP should, too- it the tank is flaming and right near death, then…

I would like to think if you ground pound a vehicle it would stun the vehicle much like shooting it with a charged plasma pistol shot.

But there would have to be special cases for each vehicle. I’ll use a Warthog for example.

If you ground pound a Warthog and land the GP in front of the Warthog (while the Warthog is going fast enough to splatter someone) then you’ll be splattered. Even if the GP would stun the vehicle, the momentum would still cause it to splatter you.

If you ground pound a Warthog and land on a player, lets say you land on the driver, it could kill the driver and stun the vehicle (this could be a bit OP, so just stunning the vehicle would work or stun the vehicle and drop the players shield riding in the vehicle to drop by half). There would have to be a delay in this process so you can’t GP on the driver and then take the Warthog or GP and then punch right away.

On a side note. I wonder what will happen with man cannons. Would they launch you into the air and then you could GP from way up high? That would be fun to pull off, but man I’d be pissed if I was killed by someone who did that.

I would guess if the ground pound is a direct hit to the vehicle without the vehicle hitting the pounder then the ground pound will kill the occupant of the vehicle and maybe the destroy the vehicle as well.

I’m hoping that if the target is one of the lighter vehicles, It should get blown into the air or flipped or something like that. When I say lighter I talk about anything that’s not a Wraith, Scorpion, Mantis or any other madness 343 decide to add in.