How to use cR incentives to improve online experience?

First off, I’m new here so if this post looks stupid because I’m missing something, sorry.

But to the point. I’m assuming now that Defiant’s out 343 is taking charge of Reach online and any updates or changes. Consequently, I’ve moved here to make suggestions, and I will only post in the Reach forums for entertainment.

In any case, I think it’s become a rather widespread opinion that the new cR ranking system is broken in many ways, (it doesn’t show skill but rather playtime, encourages AFKing, etc.) Many of these problems can only be fixed by completely overhauling or replacing the cR system, which is in all honesty a bit much to ask for. So instead, why don’t we use this cR system to our advantage? Since cR is the only actual concrete incentive to play, and the current system rewards you largely by commendation and time spent playing, many players just AFK, or even worse, play selfishly for the sake of earning more cR per game.

However, a few small tweaks can be made to completely change this. Past halos awarded you based on winning, so why can’t Reach? The simplest fix to selfish play in team games is to give winning team bonuses that make individual commendations more or less obsolete. Should this happen, players might feel less inclined to say, camp a lift with a shotty in hopes of getting spree medals, and rather, aid their team in map movement to secure map control. Or they might even feel inclined to gasp go for the objective!

Which leads me to my second point. Playlists like objective, Arena, and MLG have pitifully small populations. This is largely directed at Arena, which is the only system in Reach that determines ‘skill’ rather than playtime. Consequently, Arena should carry a very large portion of Reach’s population, similar to how Ranked did in H3 and H2. This simply is not the case, and despite Bungie’s efforts to fix Arena, many people simply did not care for it, and the population remains pitiful.

Now, what if for a weekend, week, or maybe even a full month, Arena were double cR? Imagine how awesome it’d be if our ranked playlist were once again full of people so our rank actually meant something. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

For those that are tl;dr, what I"m saying is that a few small tweaks to cR rewards could reverse many of the negative effects that the cR system brought about, which are (amongst other things), selfish play and small populations in Arena and such.

i dont understand the whole tldr thing in the bottom but i have seen it in the bner forums so im assuming its a bnet thing. I agree about their being no real incentive in actually trying to play the game as a team. Even with tweaks like you said idk if people will still play arena and such. Really the only way ranking will come back is with the 1-50 ranks. Though i doubt this is likely. I can honestly say i find arena annoying not because of the way it is but because of the ranking system. Mlg…well its terrible compared to halo 2’s mlg.

> i dont understand the whole tldr thing in the bottom but i have seen it in the bner forums so im assuming its a bnet thing. I agree about their being no real incentive in actually trying to play the game as a team. Even with tweaks like you said idk if people will still play arena and such. Really the only way ranking will come back is with the 1-50 ranks. Though i doubt this is likely. I can honestly say i find arena annoying not because of the way it is but because of the ranking system. Mlg…well its terrible compared to halo 2’s mlg.

Tl;dr
Too long, did not read

It’s the abridged version for the lazy (dumb) people, and is pretty much required for every long post at bnet.

Make Cr double or even triple its worth for winning objective games and carrying your team (MVP)

Give us an incentive to get Cr, ADD new armor!!!

> i dont understand the whole tldr thing in the bottom but i have seen it in the bner forums so im assuming its a bnet thing. I agree about their being no real incentive in actually trying to play the game as a team. Even with tweaks like you said idk if people will still play arena and such. Really the only way ranking will come back is with the 1-50 ranks. Though i doubt this is likely. I can honestly say i find arena annoying not because of the way it is but because of the ranking system. Mlg…well its terrible compared to halo 2’s mlg.

It’s worth a try, is it not?

I just proposed this because it’s easy to do, it’s kinda just like adding a dubEXP weekend, which Bungie used to do once a week for H3.

Play DLC playlists, its give you more Cr than usual playlists

> Play DLC playlists, its give you more Cr than usual playlists

You misunderstood. I have no trouble with getting cR, I’m a low rank so leveling up’s easy for me.

I just think we could use cR incentives to get players to play a better playstyle that’s beneficial to the gameplay of all.

Arena needs a cR inflation.

Period.