How to turn redundant weapons not so

Well, let me start off by saying this; we as a fanbase have argued countless times that some weapons are just re-skinned variants of each other (e.g. Storm Rifle & Assault Rifle)

Well, I’ve got suggestions on how to innovate upon these weapons to make them not so boring and redundant and to most importantly, to make them recognized for their abilities.

List of all Weapons deemed “Redundant” and how to fix:

Storm Rifle- This is kind of a tricky one, but what I think we should do is give it the “vent heat” capability that the Plasma Repeater had in Reach. Also, we should give it a new ability which borrows heavily from Halo Wars’ Locust upgrade “Overcharge”. This ability is a player-controlled mechanism specifically for the SR that allows it to overcharge it’s battery and increase the damage of it’s plasma significantly at the expense of 75% of its battery lasting only 10 seconds.

Suppressor- Again, a tricky one, but I think it deserves a targeting reticule from Reach like the one’s elite players were given in Invasion. Second, it needs heavily dampened bloom and lastly, it needs to fire faster the longer you hold the trigger.

Beam Rifle- A sniper is a sniper right? Well, the Binary still manages to differentiate itself marginally; the Beam Rifle can too. What can be done is first we increase the battery life, second we add a “blind” effect as I’ll explain. What this does is that when a player is in possession of a Beam Rifle, and they nearly miss, they will blind the player for 2 seconds because of the strength of the beam’s light.

Scattershot- While not entirely redundant, I think it needs a higher rate of fire and reduced inconsistency.

Got any more? Or maybe you want to tweak/insult my suggestions? Leave feed back here.

This list has very good potential, here are my opinions in addition to yours and how the weapons (and more) can become more unique and maybe even be fixed in multiplayer…

Storm Rifle: Basically what you said except for the overcharge. That sounds a little overpowered for a spawn-in weapon. I think increased accuracy and increased projectile speed would suit it better. Also, giving the plasma bolts glowing trails like in CE would be a great aesthetic bonus.

Suppressor: Increase projectile speed and make it like the light rifle; give it two firing modes. Unscoped mode is the current Halo 4 firing mode. Scoped mode is the suppressor’s rounds condensed into an accurate, low spread stream. The in scope version is a 2x scope. I think it would be cool that we get light streams.

Beam Rifle: That’s a good idea, but I think 1 second is better for Halo’s faster paced gameplay.

Scattershot: Basically what you said only that it’s a automatic shotgun with something like 7-8 rounds, but these rounds get weaker as they cover distance.

Boltshot: Make it a burst pistol (like the one found in Halo 4’s “backdoor” by modders) and give it a charge function that fires all the remaining rounds in the magazine in a rapid stream (much like how the Spartan Laser works). This stream’s damage varies on the number of rounds left in the mag, so say you have a filled mag, then the stream is a OHK. If you have a half mag, then it takes away 50% of enemy shields/health, if you have a fourth mag, it takes away 25% of enemy shields/health, etc.

Plasma Pistol: Make it headshot capable, keep Halo 4’s high rate of fire, make it four shots to strip shields, decrease accuracy by 20-30%, and make the plasma pistol’s EMP charge take 25% of the battery. Glowing streams on PP bolts would also be cool.

Incineration Cannon: It’s a cannon, right? And like original cannons, I think it would be unique and awesome if it had weight to the projectile, kind of making it more like a mortar than a rocket launcher.

An idea I’ve been throwing around for a while is that the incineration cannon could be turned into a javelin (the modern day military weapon)-like gun. In order to increase it’s role as an anti-vehicle weapon/BTB weapon and decrease its role as a weapon to just be pulled out to blast your enemies away in a small hallway, the cannon would have a firing function where you use a tracker that acts exactly like Halo’s target locator. This means you use it to track onto a player, vehicle, or location by holding down the trigger until the gun has officially locked on to your target. Then you just have to pull the trigger to send the projectile into the air where it arks to slam down on your target from above and “wreck the enemy’s sh**” per say. If the player wants to change their target, they could melee with the cannon which would turn off the tracking mode. However, if the player is thrown into a tango with other enemies, they can flip to their other weapon to fire it, melee with it, etc. and when they switch back to the cannon, it’s still locked onto its target.

> This list has very good potential, here are my opinions in addition to yours and how the weapons (and more) can become more unique and maybe even be fixed in multiplayer…
>
> Storm Rifle: Basically what you said except for the overcharge. That sounds a little overpowered for a spawn-in weapon. I think increased accuracy and increased projectile speed would suit it better. Also, giving the plasma bolts glowing trails like in CE would be a great aesthetic bonus.
>
> Suppressor: Increase projectile speed and make it like the light rifle; give it two firing modes. Unscoped mode is the current Halo 4 firing mode. Scoped mode is the suppressor’s rounds condensed into an accurate, low spread stream. The in scope version is a 2x scope. I think it would be cool that we get light streams.
>
> Beam Rifle: That’s a good idea, but I think 1 second is better for Halo’s faster paced gameplay.
>
> Scattershot: Basically what you said only that it’s a automatic shotgun with something like 7-8 rounds, but these rounds get weaker as they cover distance.
>
> Boltshot: Make it a burst pistol (like the one found in Halo 4’s “backdoor” by modders) and give it a charge function that fires all the remaining rounds in the magazine in a rapid stream (much like how the Spartan Laser works). This stream’s damage varies on the number of rounds left in the mag, so say you have a filled mag, then the stream is a OHK. If you have a half mag, then it takes away 50% of enemy shields/health, if you have a fourth mag, it takes away 25% of enemy shields/health, etc.
>
> Plasma Pistol: Make it headshot capable, keep Halo 4’s high rate of fire, make it four shots to strip shields, decrease accuracy by 20-30%, and make the plasma pistol’s EMP charge take 25% of the battery. Glowing streams on PP bolts would also be cool.
>
> Incineration Cannon: It’s a cannon, right? And like original cannons, I think it would be unique and awesome if it had weight to the projectile, kind of making it more like a mortar than a rocket launcher.
>
> An idea I’ve been throwing around for a while is that the incineration cannon could be turned into a javelin (the modern day military weapon)-like gun. In order to increase it’s role as an anti-vehicle weapon/BTB weapon and decrease its role as a weapon to just be pulled out to blast your enemies away in a small hallway, the cannon would have a firing function where you use a tracker that acts exactly like Halo’s target locator. This means you use it to track onto a player, vehicle, or location by holding down the trigger until the gun has officially locked on to your target. Then you just have to pull the trigger to send the projectile into the air where it arks to slam down on your target from above and “wreck the enemy’s sh**” per say. If the player wants to change their target, they could melee with the cannon which would turn off the tracking mode. However, if the player is thrown into a tango with other enemies, they can flip to their other weapon to fire it, melee with it, etc. and when they switch back to the cannon, it’s still locked onto its target.

Hmmm, iI like this idea… but how about if we give the Supressor the stun the CE Plasma Rifle had when scoped? That would compensate for encounters against other mid-range weapons.

The Scattershot… maybe giving it a little knockback? Maybe make it so the shot sends your oponent flying, similar to the Gravity Hammer, and maybe half-a-second stun, but reduce it’s range.

And your description for the IC sounds like the Plasma Launcher…

I guess I may be the ‘black sheep’ here, but I personally like the Storm Rifle as it is now. It does stand up to the AR (as it should, being its counterpart), but is different enough to not be called a “re-skin”. I’ll admit, its a bit of an acquired taste, but it is very satisfying to get double kills and so on with a weapon that most players tend to laugh at (due to its pre-TU status). I don’t think any loadout weapons need “overcharge modes”, as they are gimmicks that make them too different to truly balance with the UNSC rifles. Just look at the Plasma Pistol & Boltshot; they both have overcharge capabilities and are far from equal to the Magnum (vastly different effective ranges and combat roles).

> > This list has very good potential, here are my opinions in addition to yours and how the weapons (and more) can become more unique and maybe even be fixed in multiplayer…
> >
> > Storm Rifle: Basically what you said except for the overcharge. That sounds a little overpowered for a spawn-in weapon. I think increased accuracy and increased projectile speed would suit it better. Also, giving the plasma bolts glowing trails like in CE would be a great aesthetic bonus.
> >
> > Suppressor: Increase projectile speed and make it like the light rifle; give it two firing modes. Unscoped mode is the current Halo 4 firing mode. Scoped mode is the suppressor’s rounds condensed into an accurate, low spread stream. The in scope version is a 2x scope. I think it would be cool that we get light streams.
> >
> > Beam Rifle: That’s a good idea, but I think 1 second is better for Halo’s faster paced gameplay.
> >
> > Scattershot: Basically what you said only that it’s a automatic shotgun with something like 7-8 rounds, but these rounds get weaker as they cover distance.
> >
> > Boltshot: Make it a burst pistol (like the one found in Halo 4’s “backdoor” by modders) and give it a charge function that fires all the remaining rounds in the magazine in a rapid stream (much like how the Spartan Laser works). This stream’s damage varies on the number of rounds left in the mag, so say you have a filled mag, then the stream is a OHK. If you have a half mag, then it takes away 50% of enemy shields/health, if you have a fourth mag, it takes away 25% of enemy shields/health, etc.
> >
> > Plasma Pistol: Make it headshot capable, keep Halo 4’s high rate of fire, make it four shots to strip shields, decrease accuracy by 20-30%, and make the plasma pistol’s EMP charge take 25% of the battery. Glowing streams on PP bolts would also be cool.
> >
> > Incineration Cannon: It’s a cannon, right? And like original cannons, I think it would be unique and awesome if it had weight to the projectile, kind of making it more like a mortar than a rocket launcher.
> >
> > An idea I’ve been throwing around for a while is that the incineration cannon could be turned into a javelin (the modern day military weapon)-like gun. In order to increase it’s role as an anti-vehicle weapon/BTB weapon and decrease its role as a weapon to just be pulled out to blast your enemies away in a small hallway, the cannon would have a firing function where you use a tracker that acts exactly like Halo’s target locator. This means you use it to track onto a player, vehicle, or location by holding down the trigger until the gun has officially locked on to your target. Then you just have to pull the trigger to send the projectile into the air where it arks to slam down on your target from above and “wreck the enemy’s sh**” per say. If the player wants to change their target, they could melee with the cannon which would turn off the tracking mode. However, if the player is thrown into a tango with other enemies, they can flip to their other weapon to fire it, melee with it, etc. and when they switch back to the cannon, it’s still locked onto its target.
>
> Hmmm, iI like this idea… but how about if we give the Supressor the stun the CE Plasma Rifle had when scoped? That would compensate for encounters against other mid-range weapons.
>
> The Scattershot… maybe giving it a little knockback? Maybe make it so the shot sends your oponent flying, similar to the Gravity Hammer, and maybe half-a-second stun, but reduce it’s range.
>
> And your description for the IC sounds like the Plasma Launcher…

Only the Javelin and Plasma Launcher fire in completely separate styles.

Your ideas sound pretty cool too, though I’d like to see the stun function for the suppressor in a beta before I form an opinion on that.

> I guess I may be the ‘black sheep’ here, but I personally like the Storm Rifle as it is now. It does stand up to the AR (as it should, being its counterpart), but is different enough to not be called a “re-skin”. I’ll admit, its a bit of an acquired taste, but it is very satisfying to get double kills and so on with a weapon that most players tend to laugh at (due to its pre-TU status). I don’t think any loadout weapons need “overcharge modes”, as they are gimmicks that make them too different to truly balance with the UNSC rifles. Just look at the Plasma Pistol & Boltshot; they both have overcharge capabilities and are far from equal to the Magnum (vastly different effective ranges and combat roles).

While that is true, you have falters in your statements. The problem with the PP is that it’s an anti vehicle weapon that was attempted to be repurposed more into an anti player weapon and less an anti vehicle weapon. The BS’s problem is that it was a new weapon that never had true development to be an anti player weapon that could be spawned with. Both of these weapons’ problems are from Halo 4 lacking a beta, that is also fact.

I feel overcharging functions have a place in Halo, they just still need to be balanced in better for loadouts.