How to stop betrayals for weapons

We’ve all been betrayed for weapons in Halo, all the way back since online matchmaking was created. The boot system is a good deterrent, but obviously has flaws. After all, we’re 6 games in to Halo, and it’s still occurring. I have an idea which I think will be the final step to minimizing betrayals for weapons and vehicles further, and possibly almost eliminating them. This idea will add on to the boot rules already in place, it will not replace them.

If a player betrays a team mate, then for 2.5 minutes, they should lose the ability to pick up weapons, grenades, power ups, and ammo, as well as lose the ability to get in vehicles.

I could go into a lot of details about good and bads that will come from this. I think it would be better to just discuss what you guys think before I put a novel on the forums though.

is a good idead

If you want to compile more information, use the “Spoiler” function to keep things clean.

Personally, reporting and blocking the persons responsible for betrayals is a relatively quick and sensible choice. I do the exact same thing to any smurfs I’ve encountered in matchmaking.

Nice idea but what happens if it’s by accident? I drove plenty of tanks and whatnot where my teammates sometimes think it’s smart to stand in front of me when I’m driving.

not a bad idea

I honestly haven’t had that much of an issue with betrayals for power weapons.

Yeah disable their function to pick up any weapons. Let them learn from their wrongdoing.

> 2535462450434439;4:
> Nice idea but what happens if it’s by accident? I drove plenty of tanks and whatnot where my teammates sometimes think it’s smart to stand in front of me when I’m driving.

This is for Weapons but I see your point.

> 2535429516640149;8:
> > 2535462450434439;4:
> > Nice idea but what happens if it’s by accident? I drove plenty of tanks and whatnot where my teammates sometimes think it’s smart to stand in front of me when I’m driving.
>
> This is for Weapons but I see your point.

In my original post I did mention losing the ability to get in vehicles. Nothing I put is super set though!

How about the victim’s weapon self-destructs when someone betrays his/her teammate?

bad idea, if players not be able pickup anything for 2,5 min they will immediatly leave the game

how about the player who picks up an powerweapon be immortal to teammates betrays for an period of time or as long as he is holding power weapon

> 2533275008181400;10:
> How about the victim’s weapon self-destructs when someone betrays his/her teammate?

Well then team mates who had no part in the betrayal wouldn’t be able to pick up the weapon. This could mean at the start of a game, your team could lose access to their first sniper, while the other team had theirs. (One example) Stuff like that can pretty much cripple a teams chances at victory right out of the gates.

> 2533274793293529;11:
> bad idea, if players not be able pickup anything for 2,5 min they will immediatly leave the game
>
> how about the player who picks up an powerweapon be immortal to teammates betrays for an period of time or as long as he is holding power weapon

Why would you want someone who is willing to betray their team mates for a weapon to stay in the game? If they betray a team mate, and then leave, you’ll at least have a new team mate who probably won’t be a betrayer join within a minute.

It wouldn’t deactivate the whole teams ability to pick up anything. Only specifically the person who performed the betrayal.

> 2614366390849210;9:
> > 2535429516640149;8:
> > > 2535462450434439;4:
> > > Nice idea but what happens if it’s by accident? I drove plenty of tanks and whatnot where my teammates sometimes think it’s smart to stand in front of me when I’m driving.
> >
> > This is for Weapons but I see your point.
>
> In my original post I did mention losing the ability to get in vehicles. Nothing I put is super set though!

Oh. Sorry.

> 2535462450434439;4:
> Nice idea but what happens if it’s by accident? I drove plenty of tanks and whatnot where my teammates sometimes think it’s smart to stand in front of me when I’m driving.

Do you immediately hop out of the tank and try to grab their weapon?

Most people driving tanks aren’t exactly going to be picking up a power weapon soon.

> 2533274793293529;11:
> bad idea, if players not be able pickup anything for 2,5 min they will immediatly leave the game

Maybe the first time, but if you know you’re going to get penalized for doing so…why even bother killing them then?

It doesn’t happen often enough to warrant the change. The imbeciles pestering you after you pick up a weapon is annoying enough.

Good idea, but in Advance I want to strap them to Rocket & Shoot them out of Space

> 2614366390849210;12:
> > 2533275008181400;10:
> > How about the victim’s weapon self-destructs when someone betrays his/her teammate?
>
> Well then team mates who had no part in the betrayal wouldn’t be able to pick up the weapon. This could mean at the start of a game, your team could lose access to their first sniper, while the other team had theirs. (One example) Stuff like that can pretty much cripple a teams chances at victory right out of the gates.

This may sound crazy but read me out, the guy who got betrayed will respawn with the same weapon with the same amount of ammo left and will be invincible from the guy that betrayed him/her for like 5-10 minutes or the betrayer cannot do what you suggested.

I vote for the most simple solution to the issue… just completely disable friendly fire altogether. It has way too many flaws and exploits compared to the very few good things it has. I’d have much less to worry about without the fear or accidentally shooting or killing teammates or having a teammate do the same either accidentally or purposely.

My idea is that if you betray a player, you or your teammates cannot pick up their dropped weapons. The idea mentioned earlier that disabled weapon pickup completely for 2 minutes would really mess you up if it’s an accidental betrayal, which does happen. However, if it is an accidental betrayal than you probably don’t care that much about their weapon, but it would prevent you from benefitting specifically from betraying them, and without that, there’s not really a reason to betray them. In fact, if neither you nor your teammates cannot retrieve the weapon, then it severely dis-incentivizes betrayals.