How To Revive Cortana, Johnson, Keyes & More

If anyone knows me around these parts, you’ll know I’m firmly anti-bring the dead back to life. Leave Johnson dead. Leave Cortana dead. Finito. Others, however, may remember an alternative way to bring back Cortana via mental manipulation by the Gravemind. As established in this thread, I’ve determined that the Gravemind possess the ability to create realistic aberrations across large channels of space and time. It did so to mock the Librarian during her final hours on Earth before the Halo Array rushed through the planet wiping out all sentient life. Also theoriezed, I believe that the Gravemind’s influence could now be affecting Chief due to the possibility of him receiving the geas of the Didact. We know the Librarian AI was planning to give the Didact the Janus Key to help humanity, but that plan soured due to the Didact’s continued madness at the hands of the Gravemind. She very well may have given the Chief the tainted geas of her husband that has left him susceptible to the Gravemind. Read the first thread to get the bigger picture.

So if that could possibly bring back Cortana, I figure why not do that to bring back Johnson, Captain Keyes and others? Earlier today I remembered that it is entirely possible that the Flood hivemend could have Captain Keyes’ memories and consciousness. Chief may have gotten Keyes’ neural implant, but that is no guarantee that he saved Keyes from eternal torment from the Flood. Memories taken by the Flood stay with the Flood forever it seems, after all, the Gravemind used the memories of an unknown alien race to drag Cortana further into rampancy.

Another thing is that even if the Gravemind or the Flood didn’t have Keyes’ memories, it doesn’t need them. In Silentium, the ancient human Lord of Admrials and Gamelpar, a “devolved” human from Halo: Primordium, were used by the Gravemind to mock the Librarian, as mentioned above. The thing is, the Lord of Admirals geas resides in 343 Guilty Spark, who has also regained his original conscious as the “devolved” human named Chakas, so the Flood never got him. Same with Gamelpar, he died before the Flood could get to him.

So that leaves the possibility for literally anyone close to Chief to be used a mental tool to trick him, mock him or lead him astray. They may not be the ideal reunions we’d want, but I think it could lead to very interesting narratives as Chief encounters lost friends and comrades if he is slipping into madness. Locke is going after him for a reason and he has to be found. Like the Arbiter said, their survival is buried in his past, now his past has come back to haunt him.

Holy -Yoink-…

Great theory! I can definitely see the plausibility due to the “seeds of our future are sewn in his past” line.

Although… I feel like 343 would be against making Chief go insane. The “journey” their hyping up is about Chief finding his way and questioning his motives, not going insane.

But still a totally -Yoink- theory!

> Although… I feel like 343 would be against making Chief go insane. The “journey” their hyping up is about Chief finding his way and questioning his motives, not going insane.

Since there’s already a ton of parallelism between Chief and the Ur-Didact, as both characters have almost identical backgrounds and have faced the same conflicts in life, it’s not far-fetched to assume that the Gravemind will exploit John’s mind in the same way that it did to the Didact.

However, instead of exploiting a passionate hatred of a specific species to delay the activation of the Halo’s, as was the case with the Didact, it would be exploiting the the grief that John has for Cortana by misleading him into allowing a full-scale release of the Flood in what he’d think was a way to restore Cortana.

Also, we’ve already seen what John’s determination in saving Cortana can place at stake. The entire reason that seven million people were composed in New Phoenix was because Chief was competently blinded in his faith of getting back to Halsey to the point where he ignored Cortana’s multiple concerns regarding the true nature of Requiem.

“John, do you have a moment? Just a moment? That’s all it will take.”

I’d like to point out in the whole gravemind theory, there’s a scene in Origins where a gravemind seems to be handing a cortana-like chip to chief. This is during the bit that seems to be entirely weird possible future stuff.

I thought of the flood bringing characters back some months ago I think.

Would be quite the instance if Chief runs into a “resurrected” Sam.

> Would be quite the instance if Chief runs into a “resurrected” Sam.

I have a feeling most people who think Sam would be Jorge seeing as how they are two big Spartans. :wink:

Damn… Both your theories are really awesome. It would really help the plot a huge amount. We haven’t really hadn’t any twists and turns in the Halo plot before. I really do hope 343i is serious when they say Halo 5 will be the darkest Halo game.

As much as I like the theory, I’d still opt for them staying dead. Cortana is obviously a special case but people like Johnson need to be left alone.

I think someone suggested a Johnson AI that has control of a ship like Roland for the Infinity…I could honestly see that being entertaining.

> If anyone knows me around these parts, you’ll know I’m firmly anti-bring the dead back to life. Leave Johnson dead. Leave Cortana dead. Finito. Others, however, may remember an alternative way to bring back Cortana via mental manipulation by the Gravemind. As established in this thread, I’ve determined that the Gravemind possess the ability to create realistic aberrations across large channels of space and time. It did so to mock the Librarian during her final hours on Earth before the Halo Array rushed through the planet wiping out all sentient life. Also theoriezed, I believe that the Gravemind’s influence could now be affecting Chief due to the possibility of him receiving the geas of the Didact. We know the Librarian AI was planning to give the Didact the Janus Key to help humanity, but that plan soured due to the Didact’s continued madness at the hands of the Gravemind. She very well may have given the Chief the tainted geas of her husband that has left him susceptible to the Gravemind. Read the first thread to get the bigger picture.
>
> So if that could possibly bring back Cortana, I figure why not do that to bring back Johnson, Captain Keyes and others? Earlier today I remembered that it is entirely possible that the Flood hivemend could have Captain Keyes’ memories and consciousness. Chief may have gotten Keyes’ neural implant, but that is no guarantee that he saved Keyes from eternal torment from the Flood. Memories taken by the Flood stay with the Flood forever it seems, after all, the Gravemind used the memories of an unknown alien race to drag Cortana further into rampancy.
>
> Another thing is that even if the Gravemind or the Flood didn’t have Keyes’ memories, it doesn’t need them. In Silentium, the ancient human Lord of Admrials and Gamelpar, a “devolved” human from Halo: Primordium, were used by the Gravemind to mock the Librarian, as mentioned above. The thing is, the Lord of Admirals geas resides in 343 Guilty Spark, who has also regained his original conscious as the “devolved” human named Chakas, so the Flood never got him. Same with Gamelpar, he died before the Flood could get to him.
>
> So that leaves the possibility for literally anyone close to Chief to be used a mental tool to trick him, mock him or lead him astray. They may not be the ideal reunions we’d want, but I think it could lead to very interesting narratives as Chief encounters lost friends and comrades if he is slipping into madness. Locke is going after him for a reason and he has to be found. Like the Arbiter said, their survival is buried in his past, now his past has come back to haunt him.

John-117… could quite possibly become the final big bad… to finally end the Flood, John-117 relinquishes himself… so that the future of the galaxy is ensured.

> As much as I like the theory, I’d still opt for them staying dead. Cortana is obviously a special case but people like Johnson need to be left alone.
>
> I think someone suggested a Johnson AI that has control of a ship like Roland for the Infinity…I could honestly see that being entertaining.

“I know what the AI like…” hahah tragically hilarious. :smiley:

> I’d like to point out in the whole gravemind theory, there’s a scene in Origins where a gravemind seems to be handing a cortana-like chip to chief. This is during the bit that seems to be entirely weird possible future stuff.

Holy -Yoink-, I really didn’t pay attention to that before.

Scene Opens

SECRET ONI CONTAINMENT FACILITY: MIDNIGHT

Arbiter: Agent Locke what is it… what do you see…

Locke: Nothing! Just dust and echoes… The message repeats…

Shipboard AI: QUARANTINE LOCK DOWN IN-EFFECT! Standby for confirmation…

Locke: Arbiter this place is abandoned… yet death lingers, it has a unknown odor about it…

Arbiter: Hmm… something is not right.

Locke: Arbiter lone-signal, could it be him?

Arbiter: Perhaps track it… see where it leads…

Locke: Very well… Um Arbiter its just a ghost-device… no user in sight? Strange.

Arbiter: How is this strange Agent Locke?

Locke: Usually are tracking devices are held INSIDE are neural-nets… our brains?

Arbiter: Something must be wrong… wait, movement… 360 degrees down the left hallway… quickly, its fast.

Unknown Voice: Help Me! No… NO… NO!!! Bottom floor bad… top floor good!

Locke: Who are you?! Explain yourself… are you ONI, UNSC or an Innie?! TALK NOW or I start shooting…

Unknown Voice: Okay… okay… my names, my names… um I can’t remember… I am, was, a prisoner aboard this ship…

Locke: What are you doing outside your cell? And where is the Prison watch?

Unknown Voice: I… I… don’t know but a man, a single man, cloaked and clad in armor… like you hahha… like you… except bigger, silent… more scary… and he had a gift… he called it a gift… hahaheheh

Locke: Arbiter did you hear all that…

Arbiter: Yes… it seems we are on the right trail. We must leave, before it gets cold.

Locke: Hold on… I got to tie up a loose end… (turns to prisoner) Thanks for the information… now goodbye… (draws handgun)

Unknown Voice: No… No… I am so outta here… (trips on empty elevator shaft) (grabs ledge)… oh -Yoink- man… -Yoink-…

Locke: I am coming for you… hehe… run, run as fast as you can… (aims sniper rifle at head) End of the line, inmate!

Unknown Voice: What! No… its got me… Argh… (gets pull down elevator shaft into blackness) (echos) No… NO!!! I won’t be one of you… NO!!!

Locke: Well that tied up itself? Wonder what that was that got him? Oh well…

Unknown Voice: (echos) MWHAHAHA! WE ARE ONE… WE ARE LEGION!

Screen Blackens
End Scene

This is what a level could be an abandoned-ghost ship… which has a strange vibe to it… stuff keeps happening to which the investigation sours.

I depicted Arbiter as a wise, over-voice… who is taking a back seat and giving Locke intel on his surroundings…

I depicted Locke as a subversive, malicious and stricken individual… as he is ONI… and they do what they do so others do not. Although he does like to joke slightly and torment his victims…

I depicted the cloaked figure (John-117) as ‘evil’ as his gift was a infection form… this connects to a theory on the forums by Cobra… who states John-117 may be manipulated by the Gravemind?

reads the title
…what?
checks who is the OP
…I’m sorry what?

But I like this theory, and the scene from Origins where Gravemind hands Chief the chip. Didn’t someone from 343 say that Origins holds many keys to the story or something? I don’t remember where it was. This would make it even more possible for Cobra’s theory.

Seriously, I don’t think anyone else should return, other than Cortana that is.

I saw the title and thought “oh no not another…” but then I saw the author, and knew it couldn’t be what it seemed.

I like this. It would add an entirely new layer to the story, as well as truly push the idea that Chief isn’t just a killing machine, but a human as well.

Really interesting theory. I really need to see Origins again. You guys could be on to something.

When I read the title the answer I expected for some reason was “buy the MCC”. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, bringing them back as memories/hallucinations would definitely fit in my opinion. Though technically you would not bring them truly back with that.

I still think Cortana’s true resurrection is a possibility without rendering her death meaningless though, in the sense that she returns but not as we know her.
That would mean that the Cortana we know is technically staying dead and died in H4, nonetheless Cortana exists.
Thinking about it, a Cortana without any clear memories, especially of the Chief, would be quiet sad to see, especially for the Chief himself I would think.

I would like to see cortona come back i dont want chief to die

> Would be quite the instance if Chief runs into a “resurrected” Sam.

That would be heartbreaking. :frowning: