How to really balance the sword

With sprint in the mix, we all know the sword needs balanced.

Some think a block is the answer, or even a shorter lunge.

I think nerfing a weapon is a terrible way to balance it. In fact, given that enemies can sprint away from you, I think the lunge should be increased(yes, I just said that). Also, no block. Terrible, random mechanic that is.

All you need to do is decrease the “ammo” in the sword. Let’s compare the other power weapons. The sniper typically comes with 8 bullets. That’s 8 PERFECT shots for 8 kills. Why do we need 10 kills out of the sword which requires substantially less skill to utilize? (that’s not to say you don’t need any skill, of course you do. But I’m sure we can all agree it’s much easier to get a sword kill than a headshot with sniper). How many games have played where a new sword spawns and the previous one is still running down enemies? It happens all the time in my experience. Is that true for the other power weapons? It happens, but it’s rare.

Reduce the number of kills the sword can add to the tally. It’ll still be a dangerous power weapon when wielded correctly could alter the fate of a match but at the same time maps wouldn’t revolve around who is better at holding sword spawn. Whoever has the sword wouldn’t be an unstoppable killing frenzy machine, but you’d still think twice about wandering down a lonely hallway where the sword guy might be.

the problem the sword faced balance wise was that the shotgun made the weapon redundant, I hope it’ll be of more use in halo 4 given the fact that you now start with sprint but the whole idea that the weapon needs a nerfing is ridiculous to say the least.

Honestly I think the sword is fine the way it is now. It’s not that hard to counter.

Decreasing its charge won’t stop it from being over powered. No we need less lunge and the Halo 4 sword so far looks perfect.

/thread

:)…yay, I cannot wait until I get my hands on that Sword in Halo 4.

> :)…yay, I cannot wait until I get my hands on that Sword in Halo 4.

LMFAO, you see, this is wat i mean. Your obsessed with that sword.

Disable sprint when players have sword equipped. That’s it.

The sword in Reach was hardly even powerful, I actually agree with the OP to increase the lunge and decrease its capacity.

The sword is meant to be “over-powered”, it’s a power weapon. You din’t see any “nerf the rocket launcher” threads around here, do you? IMO the sword should be just as god-like as it was in Halo 2.

The capacity was ten in order to allow players to get the ten kill streak, bringing it down to eight will make that metal very difficult.
I think the sword was fine although multiple swords spawning on one map got very interesting, just lob grenades in the room and don’t charge in without a plan.

> > :)…yay, I cannot wait until I get my hands on that Sword in Halo 4.
>
> LMFAO, you see, this is wat i mean. Your obsessed with that sword.

Oh im so sorry, I least im not smashing away with the hammer.

> Honestly I think the sword is fine the way it is now. It’s not that hard to counter.

Agreed.

I made sure i made a b-line for the sword while at E3.
And i have not a baf word to say about it.
It has a very beliveable feel about it. And looks/sounds perfect.

PeacE
ShadEO9

> Honestly I think the sword is fine the way it is now. It’s not that hard to counter.

Agreed.

I made sure i made a b-line for the sword while at E3.
And i have not a bad word to say about it.
It has a very believable feel about it. And looks/sounds perfect.

PeacE
ShadEO9

> The capacity was ten in order to allow players to get the ten kill streak, bringing it down to eight will make that metal very difficult.
> I think the sword was fine although multiple swords spawning on one map got very interesting, just lob grenades in the room and don’t charge in without a plan.

Who cares about sprees. The laser was nerfed to 4 shot, and there are spree tied to that.

> > The capacity was ten in order to allow players to get the ten kill streak, bringing it down to eight will make that metal very difficult.
> > I think the sword was fine although multiple swords spawning on one map got very interesting, just lob grenades in the room and don’t charge in without a plan.
>
> Who cares about sprees. The laser was nerfed to 4 shot, and there are spree tied to that.

who cares about the spree’s? the people who are good with the -yoink!- weapon that’s who

> Disable sprint when players have sword equipped. That’s it.

Lol that would make the sword useless.

The sword needs a purpose. It’s not that it’s overpowered and needs to be nerfed. It should be a powerful 1 hit kill weapon. But adding 10 quick and easy points to the scoreboard disrupts the flow of gameplay. Power weapons should augment the game, not control it.

Everybody wants easy points. So teams almost always end up circling near sword spawn because you can’t take it anywhere lest you be annihilated and lose it.

Increase the lunge to make it more effective, but decrease its charge so players don’t depend on it to win.

That’s the way the other power weapons play in most instances, and the sword should as well.

The sword has seemed pretty balanced in the games since H2. It was pretty damn good in Halo 2, but not so much to be broken (infinite ammo). Sprint is interesting, Because if the sword is used correctly, there is a short range kill zone in which it will be very hard for a player not to die to a rushing sword player. However, as both players have sprint, in a team game, sprinting away and letting your team shoot him if he chases is also an option. Promethean Vision apparently allows you to see with enough detail to tell what weapons players have (sword could be holstered though).

An interesting situation might be Hardlight Shield VS sword. If you pull it out in time to block the lunge I would be interested in seeing a mechanic like increased energy depletion on blocked lunge and longer delay between lunges.

> > > The capacity was ten in order to allow players to get the ten kill streak, bringing it down to eight will make that metal very difficult.
> > > I think the sword was fine although multiple swords spawning on one map got very interesting, just lob grenades in the room and don’t charge in without a plan.
> >
> > Who cares about sprees. The laser was nerfed to 4 shot, and there are sprees tied to that.
>
> who cares about the spree’s? the people who are good with the -yoink!- weapon that’s who

Apparently they’re not that good if they need ten charges per sword.

> > Disable sprint when players have sword equipped. That’s it.
>
> Lol that would make the sword useless.
>
> The sword needs a purpose. It’s not that it’s overpowered and needs to be nerfed. It should be a powerful 1 hit kill weapon. But adding 10 quick and easy points to the scoreboard disrupts the flow of gameplay. Power weapons should augment the game, not control it.
>
> Everybody wants easy points. So teams almost always end up circling near sword spawn because you can’t take it anywhere lest you be annihilated and lose it.
>
> Increase the lunge to make it more effective, but decrease its charge so players don’t depend on it to win.
>
> That’s the way the other power weapons play in most instances, and the sword should as well.

No, that makes it balanced. It’s a power weapon meant to be used in CQC. Sprint makes it a midrange power weapon. If you want to be a clown and try to use it midrange, you shouldn’t be allowed to use sprint.

Revert the sword to the Halo 3 version (with the pretty Halo 2 design). There you go, the sword has been balanced.