How to prevent paid carries/recoveries?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what steps a developer can take to prevent or mitigate paid carries from occurring, especially for a F2P game?

One of the most annoying things I encountered in D2 was the paid carry issue. I’d regularly join full lobbies of people all doing recoveries or carries for people who wanted to get an item, emblem, or cosmetic but lacked the skill to do so.

To be clear, I am not saying people shouldn’t be able to have a friend who is way better help them play. But if you hit the LFG of D2 you will often see more posts offering paid recovery and carry services than actual players LFG.

It made the competitive MP a bit ridiculous because you’d lobby against people who would be entirely carried by a single player on their team who was beyond good.

With HI moving to F2P and introducing additional cosmetics with increased visibility, is there any way you see for 343I to effectively limit or block this behavior?

Items seem to be unlocked through natural multiplayer progression through levelling up and going through the season pass or doing certain things like complete the campaign on Legendary etc.
With that season passes never expire and can be earned whenever you like too. You’re not rushed into getting things done.

There isn’t a equivalent of Trials of Osiris in Halo so there isn’t really a need to win matches to achieve progression awards and such.
Might be some challenges to win matches like a bounty in Destiny but I can’t see it going much further than that. Anything you earn will be cosmetic anyway.

Spartan Companies exist for players to join communities to achieve larger goals too.

I can’t really see paid carries being much of a problem in Halo Infinite as there isn’t really a limited time grind for anything.

> 2533274865778947;2:
> Items seem to be unlocked through natural multiplayer progression through levelling up and going through the season pass or doing certain things like complete the campaign on Legendary etc.
> With that season passes never expire and can be earned whenever you like too. You’re not rushed into getting things done.
>
> There isn’t a equivalent of Trials of Osiris in Halo so there isn’t really a need to win matches to achieve progression awards and such.
> Might be some challenges to win matches like a bounty in Destiny but I can’t see it going much further than that. Anything you earn will be cosmetic anyway.
>
> Spartan Companies exist for players to join communities to achieve larger goals too.
>
> I can’t really see paid carries being much of a problem in Halo Infinite as there isn’t really a limited time grind for anything.

I see that, and that is my hope. ATM my only major area of concern is if they tie armor or shaders to Ranked.

> 2535469609708123;3:
> > 2533274865778947;2:
> > Items seem to be unlocked through natural multiplayer progression through levelling up and going through the season pass or doing certain things like complete the campaign on Legendary etc.
> > With that season passes never expire and can be earned whenever you like too. You’re not rushed into getting things done.
> >
> > There isn’t a equivalent of Trials of Osiris in Halo so there isn’t really a need to win matches to achieve progression awards and such.
> > Might be some challenges to win matches like a bounty in Destiny but I can’t see it going much further than that. Anything you earn will be cosmetic anyway.
> >
> > Spartan Companies exist for players to join communities to achieve larger goals too.
> >
> > I can’t really see paid carries being much of a problem in Halo Infinite as there isn’t really a limited time grind for anything.
>
> I see that, and that is my hope. ATM my only major area of concern is if they tie armor or shaders to Ranked.

Understandable but once again like I said above rewards aren’t likely to be tied to to specific stuff like that - especially when the game does have a free & paid battle pass system.
Putting a plentiful amount rewards outside of that just seems a bit illogical to me.

Once again with it being Ranked play, you’ll be put against players of your skill level as long as you’re ranked.
Skill based matchmaking helps to prevent high skill players just farming out lesser skilled players. If a squad of 3 high ranking players help someone of a low rank they’ll likely get put into the majority bracket of higher skilled players due to MMR & CSR

I pretty much agree with everything that TheDonCJG wrote. Very few people are going to let higher skilled players carry them into high MMR/CSR in Infinite just for a new fancypants shader or weapon skin. And of those few people, even fewer are going to repeat the same thing in, let’s say, the next in-game season when they see what a miserable time they have until the MMR/CSR balances out to their correct skill level. So while I’m sure Carries are going to be a thing in Infinite (they are a thing in each online game with progression tied to gameplay), I doubt it’s going be prolific enough to be a problem.

I mean, there’s no real way to prevent that.

> 2535469609708123;1:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what steps a developer can take to prevent or mitigate paid carries from occurring, especially for a F2P game?
>
> One of the most annoying things I encountered in D2 was the paid carry issue. I’d regularly join full lobbies of people all doing recoveries or carries for people who wanted to get an item, emblem, or cosmetic but lacked the skill to do so.
>
> To be clear, I am not saying people shouldn’t be able to have a friend who is way better help them play. But if you hit the LFG of D2 you will often see more posts offering paid recovery and carry services than actual players LFG.
>
> It made the competitive MP a bit ridiculous because you’d lobby against people who would be entirely carried by a single player on their team who was beyond good.
>
> With HI moving to F2P and introducing additional cosmetics with increased visibility, is there any way you see for 343I to effectively limit or block this behavior?

I’m doubtful it will be an issue at all or if it is a very minor one , destiny as you and I as players know it’s weapons ie a god rolled xyz is of extreme benefit be pvp or endgame pve , hence the paid carries/recov issue . Halo however items being purely cosmetic and having no impression positive or negative on gameplay outcomes is my reasoning for it really being a non issue .
im much more concerned about the cheating issue that seems to plague all the f2p titles but that’s an issue for another thread

> 2533274870884222;5:
> I pretty much agree with everything that TheDonCJG wrote. Very few people are going to let higher skilled players carry them into high MMR/CSR in Infinite just for a new fancypants shader or weapon skin. And of those few people, even fewer are going to repeat the same thing in, let’s say, the next in-game season when they see what a miserable time they have until the MMR/CSR balances out to their correct skill level. So while I’m sure Carries are going to be a thing in Infinite (they are a thing in each online game with progression tied to gameplay), I doubt it’s going be prolific enough to be a problem.

Yeah, I think I’m probably worrying about nothing on this. I’m just trying to think about what issues I’ve had in other games and whether or not they will affect infinite. As long as they don’t tie anything really desirable to performance you won’t have people paying for help getting it.

I’m not sure this is entirely applicable to Halo as the gear in Destiny has gameplay ramifications while in Halo the armor is cosmetic.

As others have said item acquisition in Halo appears to be limited to the Battle Pass, a (likely) storefront, and in game events.

This was a little prevalent back in the day in Halo 3 with people paying to be carried to skill rank 50, though I’m not sure anything can be done about that as A.) it’s ultimately people still just partying up, and B.) in the event that paid carries return for higher ranks, that player will be a detriment to their team and more likely to cause them to lose, ironically helping the opposing team rank up while they pay to lose essentially.