How To Play: Dominion

Let’s chat about the objective game-type we know as Dominion. It’s one of the newer game-types introduced in Halo 4, it focuses on control as you and your team attempt to score the most points to win the match. Capture bases, defend them, win. Simple…right?

Currently there are only a limited number of maps you can play on this game-type:
Longbow
Vortex
Meltdown
Exile(The one you’re probably going to end up playing 70% of the time)

As with every map and game-type there is always a way to properly approach these in an easy and efficient manner. Yet there is always numerous people who make stupid mistakes 100% of the time. Lets make a guide to this mode and maps to set the record straight. Dominion is not hard, it can be fun, but only if you use the squishy thing inside your skull.

Let’s start off on how Dominion works.
-There are 3 Bases on a map: A, B, C
-On certain maps a team would spawn in close proximity to certain bases in the beginning such as Meltdown
-Capture bases to gain points
-Your team furthers gains point by receiving Resupplies
-First team to reach 400 wins

Those are the basics, now let’s talk about the limited mistakes players do game after game.

1. One Base Team
    A team would spawn in and immediately go towards the nearest base, good right? Except that all players are at this base while the other team was smart enough to split into 2 separate teams to get 2 bases at once. DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!

2. Its Loading, So I Can Go Right?
    Many players would just begin the capture process and then leave. They make no attempt to defend or to even go capture another base. Many times they would leave 1 teammate there to defend the base by themselves and while they are running around with no purpose when suddenly 4 enemies attack the base. They run in, guns out, and find there is 1 or no one even guarding the post.

3. We Don’t Need Bases
    This mostly stems from your selfish/stupid players who think kills are the key to a complete victory in Domination. These are the guys that never go to bases to defend them, they have no captures, no saves, and they are usually at the bottom of the scoreboard.

To be continued, feel free to add

Yeah it actually is a fun gametype, but you’re right to many people try to play it as slayer. If done correctly though it works better than slayer or btb slayer. Simply controlling two bases not only provides you the win but supplies you with so many power weapons you’ll get a lot of kills. I just tried it out yesterday and loved it in spite of my team often running around aimlessly.

Not to be an -Yoink-, but I expected more from a “How to” thread. Some advanced tactics, not just the extreme basics.

Shoulder shrug

> Not to be an -Yoink!-, but I expected more from a “How to” thread. Some advanced tactics, not just the extreme basics.
>
> Shoulder shrug

You’d be surprised how many players don’t even know the “extreme basics”. Though the addition of advanced stuff would be nice too for those of use who knew this.

Always have 1 person on the team with a Plasma Pistol…

If you dont, then you get f’ed over by vehicles all game…

Also…

When you go to capture a base, try to hit the one closets to 0 on the count down timer to keep the other team from getting the points for it…

I need to double check some things before I start saying things that might not be true…

Ill post back in this tomorrow…

Thank you for this - so many players online need to read this before playing Dominion. It’s about capturing and defending bases, not simply capturing and then running around to kill.

I love the gametype, but there are so many players in that playlist who just don’t know what to do. Basically, it’s actually very similar to how Territories was, with bonus ordnance drops.

Capture. Defend. Win.

Defense tip: Camp in corner of base with rockets/shotty and rack up easy kills.

But in all seriousness though I use hologram on dominion to catch people who do this. Sometimes I can trick someone into shooting both rockets at my clone which is extremely helpfull

Nice post thanks for the effort!

It’d be useful to make a list of everything which earns points for your team, I don’t remember how many points you get for holding a base (when you get drops).

As for more advice I can think of:

1. Don’t forget to build those turrets. They can be easily destroyed but they’re always a welcomed addition against infantry or weaker vehicles.

2. You can’t pass the enemies’ “barriers” to enter their bases? Use the melee attack, two of those will remove the “force field”.

3. Always check the “base timers”. Don’t rush all around the map if you can earn bonuses by staying in a base. If you remain inside the base when the captured process is over you’ll get extra points and last but not least: power weapons will drop regularly in bases, it’d be too bad to miss them. If you respawn at your base just before a resupply drop is about to happen don’t just leave to get as quickly as possible to your enemies’ base, wait and you’ll get power weapons; don’t complain if you have to face a rocket launcher with an AR because you didn’t pick the one you had at your base.

4. Just do your best to help your team mates. Don’t leave that one guy alone to defend a base while he’s outnumbered. Cover the guy who’s going to capture instead of trying to get the base first just so you earn those points instead of him. Deploy a regen bubble or use your hardlight shield to cover your team mate, after he captured a base he won’t be able to move for a few seconds.

P.S.: I hope every (good) advice will be added in the OP, we need as many players as possible to read this so the Dominion gametype gets much better. As a lot of forum users probably won’t bother reading the entire thread, everything useful should be in the OP.

> Nice post thanks for the effort!
>
> It’d be useful to make a list of everything which earns points for your team, I don’t remember how many points you get for holding a base (when you get drops).

Your team gets 10 points per base capture and 10 additional points every time it resupplies. Below is a list of the amount of personal points you get for completing certain objectives.

Capture: 10
Capture assist: 5
Prevent enemy capture: 10
Build turret: 10
Kill turret: 10
Base resupply assist:5
Base Defense and base offense: 5

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Not sure if i missed anything

The thing I hate about Dominion is the surplus of power weapons. The last game I played all of my deaths were to a power weapon.

> Your team gets 10 points per base capture and 10 additional points every time it resupplies. Below is a list of the amount of personal points you get for completing certain objectives.
>
> Capture: 10
> Capture assist: 5
> Prevent enemy capture: 10
> Build turret: 10
> Kill turret: 10
> Base resupply assist:5
> Base Defense and base offense: 5
>
> Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Not sure if I missed anything

Thanks! At first I thought that turret construction or destructions earned your team points but a friend told me it wasn’t added for your whole team. Confusing.

Anyway, I think every player should see this list, they’d see that you don’t earn points for any kind of kill but only those for defending or attack a base, playing Dominion like Slayer won’t necessarily get your the victory.

How to play Dominion? Get camo. pick a rocket, crouch in a corner, camp.

You win

> How to play Dominion? Get camo. pick a rocket, crouch in a corner, camp.
>
>
> You win

I’ve been lucky or haven’t played Dominion enough I guess because I never saw anyone doing that. I could also say that your post doesn’t really add anything productive to the thread.

No,no, no - - this is why we need an instruction manual for this game.

In Dominion the points you get for being in the base when it Fortifies do not count towards the 400pts you need to win. Most of the points that go up on your screen in Dominion have nothing to do with Dominion but with your personal leveling up process.

I know, I know, it’s very confusing. That’s why a bunch of my friends and I went into Dominion on three separate days to study it.

The ONLY points that count toward the game are (and here up top someone had it wrong too)

Base Capture: 10pts (takes 15 seconds)
Base Fortify: 20pts (30 seconds after capture)
Base Resupply: 30pts (occurs every 45 seconds you own a base)

A bunch more stuff will be posted about Dominion soon at halodiehards.net

> No,no, no - - this is why we need an instruction manual for this game.
>
> In Dominion the points you get for being in the base when it Fortifies do not count towards the 400pts you need to win. Most of the points that go up on your screen in Dominion have nothing to do with Dominion but with your personal leveling up process.
>
> I know, I know, it’s very confusing. That’s why a bunch of my friends and I went into Dominion on three separate days to study it.
>
> The ONLY points that count toward the game are (and here up top someone had it wrong too)
>
> Base Capture: 10pts (takes 15 seconds)
> Base Fortify: 20pts (30 seconds after capture)
> Base Resupply: 30pts (occurs every 45 seconds you own a base)
>
> A bunch more stuff will be posted about Dominion soon at halodiehards.net

Thanks for clearing things up. As you said, there should be a manual (or something in-game), how to get points in an objective mode shouldn’t be something people are wrong about, 343i should make it easy to know such basic stuff at least.

Dominium can be won half of the times just by starting the match in the right way. As you know, there are 3 bases. Two are close to each time, the third is usually in the middle. The plan should be that 1 player goes to get the closer base (that won’t be attacked at the beginning) while the rest of the team goes to the central base fighting with the enemies that arrived here too for it. If you get those 2 bases, you are already on advance agaisnt the enemies. Now, you have 2 options: if the enemies aren’t so good, you can go to take the last base and kill the last survivors for winning. If not, DON’T LOSE TIME TO ATTACK! When you have 2 bases on 3 you are already winning, just defend them untill match end. It’s fully useless to attack one base and losing another one becouse you can’t defend all them!

> Let’s chat about the objective game-type we know as Dominion. It’s one of the newer game-types introduced in Halo 4, it focuses on control as you and your team attempt to score the most points to win the match. Capture bases, defend them, win. Simple…right?
>
> Currently there are only a limited number of maps you can play on this game-type:
> Longbow
> Vortex
> Meltdown
> Exile(The one you’re probably going to end up playing 70% of the time)
>
> As with every map and game-type there is always a way to properly approach these in an easy and efficient manner. Yet there is always numerous people who make stupid mistakes 100% of the time. Lets make a guide to this mode and maps to set the record straight. Dominion is not hard, it can be fun, but only if you use the squishy thing inside your skull.
>
> Let’s start off on how Dominion works.
> -There are 3 Bases on a map: A, B, C
> -On certain maps a team would spawn in close proximity to certain bases in the beginning such as Meltdown
> -Capture bases to gain points
> -Your team furthers gains point by receiving Resupplies
> -First team to reach 400 wins
>
> Those are the basics, now let’s talk about the limited mistakes players do game after game.
>
> 1. One Base Team
> A team would spawn in and immediately go towards the nearest base, good right? Except that all players are at this base while the other team was smart enough to split into 2 separate teams to get 2 bases at once. DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!
>
> 2. Its Loading, So I Can Go Right?
> Many players would just begin the capture process and then leave. They make no attempt to defend or to even go capture another base. Many times they would leave 1 teammate there to defend the base by themselves and while they are running around with no purpose when suddenly 4 enemies attack the base. They run in, guns out, and find there is 1 or no one even guarding the post.
>
> 3. We Don’t Need Bases
> This mostly stems from your selfish/stupid players who think kills are the key to a complete victory in Domination. These are the guys that never go to bases to defend them, they have no captures, no saves, and they are usually at the bottom of the scoreboard.
>
> To be continued, feel free to add

Well said, thank you!

Dominion is more strategic/objective than some of the other modes (even other objective modes) because the game can end really quickly if all bases are in the hands of one team - I’ve certainly been in several games where a Last Stand victory has been achieved - so team work is vital.

I personally try to focus on Bases not the enemy. And while I don’t always get captures, I tend to get saves, assists and resupplies. But it is truly frustrating watching others go off looking for the enemy instead of trying to focus on the bases.

Also I’ll weigh in with a tip:
On Exile, Alpha can really affect what happens in Bravo. There’s a position within Alpha that allows direct shooting on the control terminal in Bravo, which is never blocked by a base shield. I’ve been killed several times by Snipers because of this.

> Dominium can be won half of the times just by starting the match in the right way. As you know, there are 3 bases. Two are close to each time, the third is usually in the middle. The plan should be that 1 player goes to get the closer base (that won’t be attacked at the beginning) while the rest of the team goes to the central base fighting with the enemies that arrived here too for it. If you get those 2 bases, you are already on advance agaisnt the enemies. Now, you have 2 options: if the enemies aren’t so good, you can go to take the last base and kill the last survivors for winning. If not, DON’T LOSE TIME TO ATTACK! When you have 2 bases on 3 you are already winning, just defend them untill match end. It’s fully useless to attack one base and losing another one becouse you can’t defend all them!

yeah but winning doesn’t matter in this game b/c there is no reward.
If i go into a game with a party of 6. I already know we are going to win. Most of us however would rather go +50 and lose than to go +15 and win. We don’t get any xp b/c we are all level 70s anyway

> yeah but winning doesn’t matter in this game b/c there is no reward.
> If i go into a game with a party of 6. I already know we are going to win. Most of us however would rather go +50 and lose than to go +15 and win. We don’t get any xp b/c we are all level 70s anyway

So you’re saying that you prefer to lose but have a high k/d ratio than win without many kills? Why don’t you play a slayer gametype then?!

> > yeah but winning doesn’t matter in this game b/c there is no reward.
> > If i go into a game with a party of 6. I already know we are going to win. Most of us however would rather go +50 and lose than to go +15 and win. We don’t get any xp b/c we are all level 70s anyway
>
> So you’re saying that you prefer to lose but have a high k/d ratio than win without many kills? Why don’t you play a slayer gametype then?!

Becouse it’s easier to get kills in gamemodes with objectives ._.