How to not suck at halo wars

Actually, I’m looking for some advice here. As of now, I played three mm matches, and lost all three of them. I don’t really know why, I’m pretty good at RTS’s in general, I can play starcraft pretty well, but Halo Wars plays really differently.
Welp, I’m open to suggestions.

• Scout constantly throughout the whole game (can’t stress this enough)
  • Learn basic build openings (for example: supply pad > queue 2 hogs > reactor > research gunner > supply pad)
  • Harass your opponent with said gunner hogs, or clear out hooks around the map with them (supply elevators, free reactors)
  • Micro your units
  • Multi-task (example: distract your opponent while stealing his hook)
  • Get out some mainline units (most players go for tanks)
  • On maps like Pirth Outskirts, take another expansion REALLY fast (only if you play cutter or anders)
  • Don’t be afraid to get creative

I’ve got a few suggestions for you.

First of all, try to avoid building scarabs- unless its very early in the game. If you do want a scarab, keep it at the back of your army. This way you’ll deal tons of damage and keep you opponents focused on your weaker units. If they do want to kill your scarab, they’ll have to waste precious time getting to it.

Second, pay attention to rushes. If you learn how your opponent did what he did, you have a much better time defending it. If you know the build, you can mirror it and just play defense. With this, you’ll also be able to figure out what you opponent is up to much earlier on.

Third, scout. This is a rule to stick to always until you get fairly good. Figure out what your opponent is up to, and you can easily counter it. The only reason not to scout is if you’re fairly sure you can outmatch you opponents build and they are yet to scout you. In these situations your scouting will likely remind them to scout you as well, leading to a much harder fight.

Last, for now, is to focus on building units. Make sure to stick with one, maybe two, units at a time. Most units only work when in groups of the same unit. At the same time, don’t be afraid to switch units. If you’re always hitting you opponent with different units, they won’t know what to defend with. On the note of attacking, abuse the base lock feature. Attack with your units, lock your base, and start rebuilding as rapidly as possible- while attacking as best you can. Do this, and you’ll have another army built up- and not split up, which would likely happen were your base unlocked. You can keep a relentless assault on your opponent and show little weakness.

P.S.- This post was actually a response to another, similar, thread. Thus, many of these topics are in response to me specific questions.

If they are professer anders (-Yoink- of a move). They are building hawks. build starting forces, then make anti-air.

why do they give hawk-girl cryo bomb? its not right.

Try to manage your buildings so that they’re as busy as they can be.

I usually try to avoid queueing buildings so there isn’t any cash locked up in the pending buildings so I can get other stuff. (Also stops it getting lost if you’re opponent gets lucky.)

Try not to wait until you have upgrades before building units, this way you have some fighting capacity as opposed to none.

It also helps to leave your warthog unarmed for a while, so you can scout and that way you might not get noticed. On some maps there are some spots you can park it to spy on someone as well.

I find things like canny shell and barrage work better if you target things individually instead of pressing LB+Y.

If you ever use Arby get him invisible. I’ve walked one through a cobra line several times without trouble only to beam in some hordes of gruesomely evil things. Tends to work better with more players, that way you can pincer their entire armies and cause some carnage.

THOUSANDS of turretless warthogs. :smiley: Ramming speed!

> THOUSANDS of turretless warthogs. :smiley: Ramming speed!

This is something not to do.

OP, listen, very easy. Use Skirmish until you understand how EVERYTHING works. Set the AI difficulty to easy, and just experiment. Then, work your way up. By the time you’re at Heroic, you should be fine for MM.

Different units can be used as counters. Understand them. So when your allies are under attack or you’ve scouted your enemy and found out what they were working on, you know exactly what to do.

Scout them. Enough said there.

If you do decide to go covie, don’t (for -blam!- sakes) go straight to Scarab. While that may work 50% of the time, a majority of the community knows how to beat that real fast, even with a flock of Engineers to go with it. If your enemy is Anders, you may be able to get away with it, but Forge/Cutter, forget it.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Just a couple of questions:

What should I scout with? I do try and use my starting hog (or ghost) to move around the map a little, but usually it runs into a rebel base and dies.

How do I build up anti-air? I build up a formidable army of tanks (okay not really), and its torn to shreds withing minutes by the other guys hornets. What can I do against that?

What do you play?
3v3
2v2
1v1

> Thanks for all the tips guys! Just a couple of questions:
>
> What should I scout with? I do try and use my starting hog (or ghost) to move around the map a little, but usually it runs into a rebel base and dies.
>
> How do I build up anti-air? I build up a formidable army of tanks (okay not really), and its torn to shreds withing minutes by the other guys hornets. What can I do against that?

As you said, scout with your hog/ghost. If you’re UNSC, don’t be afraid to build another hog if you need it. As covie, your leader can be a great scout. Be careful not to send them into an army though. Tier 3 prophet/arby are perfect scouts.

For tanks, I’d suggest 10 tanks, 5 wolverines. If you’re really worried about air, go 8/8. I’d suggest never building 13 tanks either. In almost any battle, you’ll only be able to get around 8 of your tanks to actually fight. Build a maximum of 10, and you’ll have a much more adaptable army.

In response to another user here, don’t expect any leader to go straight for thier superunit- especially anders. A really good anders will likely never build air.

> Thanks for all the tips guys! Just a couple of questions:
>
> What should I scout with? I do try and use my starting hog (or ghost) to move around the map a little, but usually it runs into a rebel base and dies.
>
> How do I build up anti-air? I build up a formidable army of tanks (okay not really), and its torn to shreds withing minutes by the other guys hornets. What can I do against that?

some segestions on my part

your first warthog or ghost (the one you start with) NEVER use that for scouting, only to collect resources, try to steal resources from your enimies, so they have less to work with

when trying to capture rebel base, go with a covanant leader
if you are the UNSC, NEVER use the 3 spartans idea, go with two squads of flamers, and a marine squad, have the flamers go in first to detract the turret and kill the rebels, and then have the marines go in to kill the turret

Anti-air, mix wolverines with your tank army, trust me, it helps

Always scout with your initial hog/ghost. Be sure to collect supply crates as well. Always build an extra hog or two at the start of the match so you can gather crates faster in order to build up your economy early in the game. Don’t make a barracks to clear out rebel bases. You can clear them out with three gunner warthogs easily with some micro (stay out of rebel turret range).

Also, this channel should help you improve.

http://www.youtube.com/bb2010halowars

> Actually, I’m looking for some advice here. As of now, I played three mm matches, and lost all three of them. I don’t really know why, I’m pretty good at RTS’s in general, I can play starcraft pretty well, but Halo Wars plays really differently.
> Welp, I’m open to suggestions.

read Sun Tzu’s The Art of War./read Napoleon Bonaparte’s The Art of War/read George S. Patton’s War as I Knew it/play the Halo Wars campaign on Legendary.

> > Thanks for all the tips guys! Just a couple of questions:
> >
> > What should I scout with? I do try and use my starting hog (or ghost) to move around the map a little, but usually it runs into a rebel base and dies.
> >
> > How do I build up anti-air? I build up a formidable army of tanks (okay not really), and its torn to shreds withing minutes by the other guys hornets. What can I do against that?
>
> As you said, scout with your hog/ghost. If you’re UNSC, don’t be afraid to build another hog if you need it. As covie, your leader can be a great scout. Be careful not to send them into an army though. Tier 3 prophet/arby are perfect scouts.
>
> For tanks, I’d suggest 10 tanks, 5 wolverines. If you’re really worried about air, go 8/8. I’d suggest never building 13 tanks either. In almost any battle, you’ll only be able to get around 8 of your tanks to actually fight. Build a maximum of 10, and you’ll have a much more adaptable army.
>
> In response to another user here, don’t expect any leader to go straight for thier superunit- especially anders. A really good anders will likely never build air.

I can agree with the warthog and superunits. Out of the gate, I always build three. Except in certain Fort Deen situations. Here’s a tip with that.

If you go to the base in the center, and the supplies are not visible near the center base or are in the back of the base, then don’t go with multiple hogs to collect supplies. Youre going to have to destroy the rebel bases in order to collect those supplies safely.

And with the splits, I would do that split. Don’t spam all one unit. It usually ends in diaster. Key word there is usually. Spartan tanks can usually hold their own against a lot of different variations, especially when veteraned and upgraded all the way. So, take that into consideration as well. I’ve taken down a decent sized army, I think about 10 Wingmened Hornets with 3 fully upgraded and veteranted (one star Spartans) Spartan tanks.

its funny how none of you guys mention the covenant in your theories you no the humans are way to overpowered compared to the covenant you just aint admitting it.

> its funny how none of you guys mention the covenant in your theories you no the humans are way to overpowered compared to the covenant you just aint admitting it.

Covie rapes UNSC. And vice versa. It all depends on the player.

I have beat plenty of unsc players using covie. I agree with King, it all depends on the player.