How to make everyone happy? Playlist!

I’ve always loved Halo for the feel and the competitive nature. I’ve loved that everyone starts on equal ground. I’ve loved teamwork and map control for high ground and weapon location. I’ve never really cared for the spawn, sprint and spray bullets games or gimmicks. I also understand that I may be in the minority on this. Most people now a days don’t have patience.

I’ve came to deal with the fact that just like Bungie and Reach that 343 is going to add new elements to the game that in my opinion get away from traditional Halo. While I understand that I might be in the minority I don’t think it’s a small minority.

I’ve never been much of a MLG suck up, in fact I grew tired of the “MLG does this and that” arguments, but I think these guys really sum up how I feel personally.
Neighbor and Elamite discuss real feelings from E3
If you haven’t seen this interview you should watch it.

So how to do you make both crowds happy? Playlist. Have the playlist featuring all of the new bells and whistles of Halo 4. Rumble pit, slayer and big team battle. Also have a “hardcore”, or what ever name you want to call it, playlist. Have little to no perks. Place any perks on the map so teams have to fight for them. Place weapons on the map so teams have to fight for them. This will create that old school feel that so many of us miss.

The sub playlist in this group should be rumble pit, slayer, snipers, swat, objective and big team battle. I guess doubles too but since I never really played that much it’s not on my mind.

I think this would add longevity to the game. The gimmicks and perks are neat. They’ll draw a lot of attention at first. Then I believe the people that really love that stuff will move on to the next big game. This would keep your true Halo fans playing Halo 4 until Halo 5 came out.

I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.

TLDR
Have two sets of playlist. One for all of the new stuff and one for more of a hardcore/competitive player with all perks, power ups and weapons on the map so everyone has an equal shot at getting the.

I support this 100%

Let’s just put it this way.

The only way to make everyone happy is mandatory dope. But even then there will be those who are existentially unhappy, so you’ll still fail to please everyone.

So, don’t even -Yoinking!- bother to. If you limit yourself to merely responding to criticism you’ll never produce any creative work of value because it’ll simply be an accommodation of everyone else’s point of view. That’s not art, or even why we play video games as the experience is so much more about what the developer forces us experience, outside the limitations of our lives, than where we want to go (since that will ultimately fall within those limitations.)

So no, let’s not try this classic/hardcore -Yoink- again. It didn’t save Halo Reach nor will it help Halo 4 because it ultimately just represents a compromised decision making process, an unwillingness to execute new ideas to their full potential (ie. universal implementation) in fear that some people might become unhappy…

> I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.

Me too.

You got my support.

> > I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.
>
> Me too.
>
>
> You got my support.

There you go. It’s even got a couple of extra maps and a good graphical upgrade to boot.

> Let’s just put it this way.
>
> The only way to make everyone happy is mandatory dope. But even then there will be those who are existentially unhappy, so you’ll still fail to please everyone.
>
> So, don’t even -Yoinking!- bother to. If you limit yourself to merely responding to criticism you’ll never produce any creative work of value because it’ll simply be an accommodation of everyone else’s point of view. That’s not art, or even why we play video games as the experience is so much more about what the developer forces us experience, outside the limitations of our lives, than where we want to go (since that will ultimately fall within those limitations.)
>
> So no, let’s not try this classic/hardcore -Yoink!- again. It didn’t save Halo Reach nor will it help Halo 4 because it ultimately just represents a compromised decision making process, an unwillingness to execute new ideas to their full potential (ie. universal implementation) in fear that some people might become unhappy…

I would have hoped that with a little common sense most people would have realized that when saying everyone people usually mean the majority. I’m sorry. I guess I should have clarified.

No Reach did not do this. All Reach had was MLG which has never worked well for the population and at the end of it’s days with Anniversary playlist which is doomed to fail because enough people won’t by the new maps.

> > > I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.
> >
> > Me too.
> >
> >
> > You got my support.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Pc/dp/B000NV8F58
>
> There you go. It’s even got a couple of extra maps and a good graphical upgrade to boot.

Why don’t you buy it and let me know how playing it on XBL works for you. Thanks and have a nice day.

> > > I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.
> >
> > Me too.
> >
> >
> > You got my support.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Pc/dp/B000NV8F58
>
> There you go. It’s even got a couple of extra maps and a good graphical upgrade to boot.

^^ I lol’d

People act as if Halo 4 and Halo Reach didn’t meet their expectations…that the other Halo games just cease to exist. -____- Halo 3 is probably bargain bin- status.

> > > > I can honestly say that if Halo 2 were still being played with new network code I would STILL be playing it.
> > >
> > > Me too.
> > >
> > >
> > > You got my support.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Halo-2-Pc/dp/B000NV8F58
> >
> > There you go. It’s even got a couple of extra maps and a good graphical upgrade to boot.
>
> ^^ I lol’d
>
> People act as if Halo 4 and Halo Reach didn’t meet their expectations…that the other Halo games just cease to exist. -____- Halo 3 is probably bargain bin- status.

Reach did reach sales expectation I believe but it was a let down for the Halo community that’s been around a while. Halo 2 dominated the XBL charts pretty much until Halo 3 was released. Halo 3 did very well too but consistently fell to the COD games. Halo 2 can no longer be played on XBL.

I can honestly see this working ^ ^

I keep saying this over and over and yet people still freak out.

> How exactly will the custom loadouts be balanced, as well as the upgrades received by ordnance? Is there anything to prevent veteran players from spawning with rocket launchers and shotguns and outright dominating everybody else, or will power weapons be limited in some way? –Retr0Gamer64
>
> Matchmaking will account for skill level, experience, equipment and more.

This gives me a lot of hope!

Agree, but making many servers are expensive

Huh? It wouldn’t take any more than they use now I’m sure.

It’s a nice theory OP but one thing might just ruin all of Halo 4.

“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”

-Bill Cosby

Personally I think everyone should just play Halo 4 it was meant to be played, bells and whistles included. I get additional playlists and all are optional and wouldn’t really hurt me, but it’s just a principle for me.

I mean, when people get together to play a game and someone doesn’t like said game, you don’t branch out into different subsections of said game with varying rules. By that point you spread out all the players and don’t have enough people left to adequately play anything.

> “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
>
> -Bill Cosby

Pudding Pops.” - Bill Cosby. (Had too.)

> Personally I think everyone should just play Halo 4 it was meant to be played, bells and whistles included. I get additional playlists and all are optional and wouldn’t really hurt me, but it’s just a principle for me.
>
> I mean, when people get together to play a game and someone doesn’t like said game, you don’t branch out into different subsections of said game with varying rules. By that point you spread out all the players and don’t have enough people left to adequately play anything.

On top of that, I really feel that having so many different playlists is not a good idea. In that MLG interview, they even said one persons definition of playing Halo varies to another person. I don’t want to keep dividing people into many different playlists. We need to give the new stuff a shot at the very least. Halo is evolving into something new like it always has, lets see where it takes us and hope it evolves in a way we learn to love like every good halo game.

Let me itemize my points.

  1. You didn’t suggest this. A lot of other people did, recently and years ago. I won’t hold this against you, though, as the psychic emanations, that inform opinion, traveling through the ether can’t be expected to reach everyone at the same time.

  2. It won’t make everyone happy. I, for example, may not be getting my laser-guided duck launcher or pretty orange dinghy in matchmaking.

This may, however, give to distinct demographics what they want but still in a compromise. Neither, even with this system, will they get everything they want because you won’t be able to give each and every player all possible variant of classic or new Halo they may want out of the experience. Classic ombie fans may have to force themselves through new gametypes to get what they want, and similarly SWAT guys might be lacking the new features (like Forerunner Vision) that they might want to spice up their rather samey experience. And likewise between all variants in one category or another and each side of this RvB style divide. Even if you simply have both gametypes in the same playlist, people will still have to put up with gametypes of a style they don’t like.

So, it won’t make everyone happy. You’ll simply give them a more tolerable situation if they have any preference between classic and new.

  1. Halo Reach already tried this. It didn’t make everyone happy. For the above reasons, and more fundamentally that classic playlists almost invariably bastardize old Halo with those new elements which can’t be accounted for with gametype options. Balance, level design, movement 343 doesn’t just slap on a few new bells and wistles onto the same old bike, they tear it apart and build it again but with entirely changed dimensions to fit in those new additions. Even if you take them off to get at the core bicycle, you’re still dealing with the accommodations, but without the justification behind them because those balance changes end up serving no purpose. As far as classic fans go, the changes may as well have been decided by Zimbu, the drunken dart throwing monkey of game design, as they are both arbitrary, painful, and probably covered with -Yoink-.

So, on this chopped up bicycle presided over by a deranged primate, you teeter, stumble, asking yourself “why doesn’t this feel right” but that should be self evident. It’s not the same thing you learned to ride in the first place. Expecting it to be only sets them up for have a harder time approaching the new mechanics, balance, and flow of the game. So, you don’t ship with classic. You let people have a go at the finished product, not a stripped down version of it, so they can learn the whole system. Then you can start taking bits away once they know how things are, where they lead, and why they were set up that way, so the bastardized half steps still represent something to the player.

Yes people will -Yoink-, but so do kids when they told to go to bed. You still force them to, though, because there’s more to personal development (as it will improve the community and the game by proxy) than simply being happy.

> Let me itemize my points.
>
> 1. You didn’t suggest this. A lot of other people did, recently and years ago. I won’t hold this against you, though, as the psychic emanations, that inform opinion, traveling through the ether can’t be expected to reach everyone at the same time.

I never said I was the only person to think of this. Are you more intent on just arguing and blindly following or actually contributing?

> 2. It won’t make everyone happy. I, for example, may not be getting my laser-guided duck launcher or pretty orange dinghy in matchmaking.
>
> This may, however, give to distinct demographics what they want but still in a compromise. Neither, even with this system, will they get everything they want because you won’t be able to give each and every player all possible variant of classic or new Halo they may want out of the experience. Classic ombie fans may have to force themselves through new gametypes to get what they want, and similarly SWAT guys might be lacking the new features (like Forerunner Vision) that they might want to spice up their rather samey experience. And likewise between all variants in one category or another and each side of this RvB style divide. Even if you simply have both gametypes in the same playlist, people will still have to put up with gametypes of a style they don’t like.
>
> So, it won’t make everyone happy. You’ll simply give them a more tolerable situation if they have any preference between classic and new.

Sigh, again, When I said everyone I meant the bulk of the population. Of course you can’t please every single person.

Your argument of “If they don’t like it we will force them to like it” is really, really flawed.

> 3. Halo Reach already tried this. It didn’t make everyone happy. For the above reasons, and more fundamentally that classic playlists almost invariably bastardize old Halo with those new elements which can’t be accounted for with gametype options. Balance, level design, movement 343 doesn’t just slap on a few new bells and wistles onto the same old bike, they tear it apart and build it again but with entirely changed dimensions to fit in those new additions. Even if you take them off to get at the core bicycle, you’re still dealing with the accommodations, but without the justification behind them because those balance changes end up serving no purpose. As far as classic fans go, the changes may as well have been decided by Zimbu, the drunken dart throwing monkey of game design, as they are both arbitrary, painful, and probably covered with Yoink!.

Bicycle… yeah. Actually Halo 3 didn’t do a bad job with the playlist. the problem was more in how the gametypes were built. They ruined objective games almost completely. They waited way too long to put in some playlist trying to “make” people learn to use the new weapons and equipment.

> So, on this chopped up bicycle presided over by a deranged primate, you teeter, stumble, asking yourself “why doesn’t this feel right” but that should be self evident. It’s not the same thing you learned to ride in the first place. Expecting it to be only sets them up for have a harder time approaching the new mechanics, balance, and flow of the game. So, you don’t ship with classic. You let people have a go at the finished product, not a stripped down version of it, so they can learn the whole system. Then you can start taking bits away once they know how things are, where they lead, and why they were set up that way, so the bastardized half steps still represent something to the player.
>
> Yes people will -Yoink!-, but so do kids when they told to go to bed. You still force them to, though, because there’s more to personal development (as it will improve the community and the game by proxy) than simply being happy.

Again, your idea of forcing people to like a video game is so flawed that I don’t really see how you honestly believe this. If people don’t like it immediately they will go play another game.