How to go about making fanfiction.

I have thought about making a fanfiction story or two for Halo, but where to start, why to start where I want to, and how much writing to write is my problem.
If you were in my place wanting to expand on a topic by creating a new story, how do you think I should go about doing such a thing? My wish is to talk about the past problem, the characters involved and how they feel about what is going on, include some well written dialogue and dramatic effect, and have a logical conclusion that benefits the lore.
I have taken a couple writing classes while in college (in my fourth year currently), and I also thought this can be a neat application of it. I might not be as good as your everyday New York Times Bestseller, but I could try something fun.
Do comment and share on what I could do! I would appreciate the feedback.
PS: I wrote a couple stories while in the three or four writing classes I have taken in college. Most were sci fi or war stories.

Well, I’ve been working on my first fanfiction on and off for the past few months, and I can tell you writer’s block will be one of your biggest hurdles.

I’ve got most of my characters mapped out, the storyline and settings planned, and now I’m just trying to get some dialogue going and a scene moving.

It’s not happening.
If you can get past your first chapter (assuming you use chapters), you’ll be well on your way to success.

What I usually do for Halo is go to Halopedia, and go through the articles of years that show the timeline of events. If I have a general idea of the timeframe I want to write the story in, I go and see if there are any canon events that are lacking substantial details and that take place in the time period. One story I had, before I lost the flashdrive it was on, was about the Battle of Eridanus II, which we know nothing about other than the Covenant glassed the planet in 2530.

> 2533275034118914;2:
> Well, I’ve been working on my first fanfiction on and off for the past few months, and I can tell you writer’s block will be one of your biggest hurdles.
>
> I’ve got most of my characters mapped out, the storyline and settings planned, and now I’m just trying to get some dialogue going and a scene moving.
>
> It’s not happening.
> If you can get past your first chapter (assuming you use chapters), you’ll be well on your way to success.

I have experienced many instances of writers block, for sure. What I wanted to do was just think of an event within either the novels or the expanded universe, and add more to it. Not really a flat out story that lasts a couple chapters, though I could do that if I made each chapter only like 3 types pages. But going that far is tough for me. The most I have ever typed for a story is around 7 or 8 pages. That could actually do, but I want this to not be that much of a challenge for me, rather than something to try out, but doing a good job.
Perhaps my aim is not really how I need to go about writing Fanfictio. I should really read more stuff on Halopedia to be sure on where I would write fanficion.

> 2533274860901607;3:
> What I usually do for Halo is go to Halopedia, and go through the articles of years that show the timeline of events. If I have a general idea of the timeframe I want to write the story in, I go and see if there are any canon events that are lacking substantial details and that take place in the time period. One story I had, before I lost the flashdrive it was on, was about the Battle of Eridanus II, which we know nothing about other than the Covenant glassed the planet in 2530.

I have used Halopedia a couple times, and its so useful :smiley:
My problem is I have a tough time writing beyond 6 or so pages. The most I have ever written for a story in college was 7 or 8 pages. That was a challenge. I could still try it lol. Maybe making each section of my story like 3 types pages long, or somehow divide it into sections. IDK…I will give it thought.