How to fix the matchmaking gametypes.

In CE we had the Pistol. In H2/H2 we had the BR, and in Reach we have the DMR. They are utility weapon that can function in all situations depending on the skill of the user. This is how Halo is meant to be played, and how it should be played.

Every person has a chance to defend themselves off spawn and isn’t limited in range.

However, AR/Pistol starts in Reach are NOT halo. Neither was AR starts in H3, or SMG starts in H2.

They limit you off spawn and reduce your options. Once the other team picks up the midrange weapons, it is impossible to break out of a spawn trap.

Along with that, the AR has a very small skill gap.

Here’s a post by A 3 Legged Goat that really sums it up.

> Posted by: A 3 Legged Goat
> One of the most common complaints associated with the DMR/BR is that “it’s incredibly overused and lacks variety. AR starts presumably provide more variety because you have the option of picking up a DMR or other weapons. Spawning with a DMR puts you in the middle of the sandbox, and effectively renders anything below it useless.
>
> While this argument does have some logic behind it, it fails to compensate for the mechanics of the gun. Just because you are using the AR, Plasma Repeater, Needler, Spiker, Plasma Rifle, and SMG, it doesn’t mean that you are increasing variety in combat. You’re literally increasing the number of weapons that you are using, but that doesn’t necessarily mean your combat with any of those weapons will be vastly different.
>
> Let’s face it–there’s really only one way to use the Assault Rifle, Plasma Repeater, Spiker, etc. You usually spray it at the enemy (or burst fire at further ranges) and keep a steady aim as you expend the magazine. You’re likely to get 1 kill (or 2 if your next opponent is weak) and in many cases you’ll have to follow up with a beat down or switch to your secondary. Strafing sometimes works, but the cone shaped spread usually negates its effect.
>
> Is the plasma repeater any different? Is the spiker any different? Is the plasma rifle any different? They may look different and have slightly different damage, but for the most part they have the same range and niche. Range and Niche of the weapon is what determines their versatility. Because the AR and weapons like it only have one range and one niche, using them doesn’t increase versatility. In fact, it actually does quite the opposite and instead causes redundancy.
>
> The DMR, NR, and (beta) pistol actually provide more variety in combat. You can use them at close range, mid range, and long range effectively. The outcome of the match is decided based on if you could consistently aim your single shot at the player and their head, and if you could maneuver to dodge their shots. You can also help a teammate from across the map, teamshoot vehicles, and defend yourself off of spawn with DMR/NR starts. You cannot do that with the AR.
>
> I hate getting cross mapped, and I understand the constant rat tat tat tat of the DMR gets annoying. However, I recognize now that the DMR provides more versatility in combat in spite of it only being one weapon. It’s this versatile utilitarian weapon that has been at the basis of the Halo formula since day one. Thankfully, it still hasn’t changed.

So I was thinking about how to Make AR starts more Halo-Like, and I figured it out.

> Slayer:
> AR/DMR
> Sprint, Jetpack, Holo
> 2 frags
> Radar

This emulates what Halo was all about, and has similarities to CE.

With this gametype, AR lovers don’t have to switch weapons off spawn and can run around and herp derp all game. But eventually, when they face better players, they will have to adapt and learn to play Halo for what it was meant to be.

Next up, for the more competitive people:

> Slayer Pro
> DMR/Pistol
> NR/Pistol
> Sprint
> 1 frag
> no radar

No radar for the more competitive types, and 1 frag to reduce spamming. All the starting weapons are single shot and precise to increase the skill gap, and the NR is there for those who prefer it.

This way, Slayer pro is a bit more pro than the current variant.

Lastly, there is a variant I’m still thinking through, called Loadout Slayer. Here are the details:

> Loadout Slayer
> DMR/Pistol, Sprint, 1 frag
> AR/Pistol, Jetpack, 1 frag
> Pistol, Camo, 2 frags
> AR, Armor Lock, no frags
> DMR, Hologram, 1 frag

This gametype is still a thought in process, and I plan to test it later. Basically, it’s like invasion. You choose a different class with different weapons and different trade offs.

Sprint has more versatility and speed. Jetpack can attack from above but not at range. Pistol is limited in range but is great up close, and has 2 frags to clear people out. Armor Lock is almost completely defense off spawn, so it can work closer to what was intended. Holo has nade laucher to kill campers and trick people.

I believe these gametypes changes would satisfy the entire Reach crowd. Slayer would emulate parts of Reach, but faster. Slayer Pro would be even faster than Slayer and be more competitive. Loadout Slayer would satisfy those who enjoy slower pace and more strategic options. There would also be more variety because your loadout drastically changes what you can do.

TL;DR: AR starts as of now are not Halo. That can be fixed with my gametype alterations:

> Slayer:
> AR/DMR
> Sprint, Jetpack, Holo
> 2 frags
> Radar

> Slayer Pro
> DMR/Pistol
> NR/Pistol
> Sprint
> 1 frag
> no radar

> Loadout Slayer
> Pistol, Sprint, 1 frag
> AR/Pistol, Jetpack, 1 frag
> Pistol, Camo, 2 frags
> AR, Armor Lock, no frags
> DMR, Hologram, 1 frag

Please read the whole thing, I urge you to. It’s a good read.

How exactly does the jetpack emulate what Halo is all about?

> How exactly does the jetpack emulate what Halo is all about?

I doesn’t. But we have to keep some of the Reach experience in, and Jetpack isn’t as easy to abuse as camo or armor lock.