How to Fix Custom Games

I thought about his for a while. How could we revive the custom game community. Lately I have had trouble finding custom game lobbies. My friends rarely play halo 4, so I’ve been bored lately.

I think 343 should introduce the beacon system that I thought of that could help people find custom games more easily.

Basically, when someone creates a custom game lobby, they have no other players. And it’s hard to get people in your lobby unless they are your friends. The beacon system is a way for lobby leaders to activate a beacon signalling a custom game that is about to happen. In the custom game section, there would be a menu for a custom game finder. In the menu, there would be a list of all the beacons around the world that need more players for a game to get going. It would give a list of lobbies, the gametype, map, amount of players and the leader’s gamertag so that a player can ask for an invite.

This isn’t too hard to do. Its not like creating dedicated servers where people can play whatever they choose, only a way to find fresh custom games that we have all been lacking. I want to know what you guys think about the idea and if you like it.

Please comment below for any tips or advise about this beacon system and if you think 343 should implement it. Thank you.

Must. Have. Period.

Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.

> Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.

yea you’re right, nevertheless we have to make custom games more popular so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?

> Must. Have. Period.

I want to cry from the win in this post.

This is a great idea, and was first discussed as a server browser like the halo pc version. Open up the browser, select a hosted game, and BAM! You’re in.

> This is a great idea, and was first discussed as a server browser like the halo pc version. Open up the browser, select a hosted game, and BAM! You’re in.

yes, its better if we make it easier on 343 with beacons so that it would get implemented much faster than most other non-practical ideas that come from the forums

> > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
>
> yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?

How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)

At least 343 have made the first step

the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.

> > > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
> >
> > yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?
>
> How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)
>
> At least 343 have made the first step
>
>
>
> the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.

We do that by making custom games more accessible and practical than before. This beacon system will help attract more attention towards custom games rather than matchmaking alone

> > > > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
> > >
> > > yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?
> >
> > How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)
> >
> > At least 343 have made the first step
> >
> >
> >
> > the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.
>
> We do that by making custom games more accessible and practical than before. This beacon system will help attract more attention towards custom games rather than matchmaking alone

I agree that custom games should be more accessible, but thats never stopped halo 3 or reach if you remember them. they succeeded on their merits. Theres more to custom game success than just accessibility.

But yes it is important.

> > > > > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
> > > >
> > > > yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?
> > >
> > > How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)
> > >
> > > At least 343 have made the first step
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.
> >
> > We do that by making custom games more accessible and practical than before. This beacon system will help attract more attention towards custom games rather than matchmaking alone
>
> I agree that custom games should be more accessible, but thats never stopped halo 3 or reach if you remember them. they succeeded on their merits. Theres more to custom game success than just accessibility.
>
> But yes it is important.

times have changed unfortunately

> > > > > > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
> > > > >
> > > > > yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?
> > > >
> > > > How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)
> > > >
> > > > At least 343 have made the first step
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.
> > >
> > > We do that by making custom games more accessible and practical than before. This beacon system will help attract more attention towards custom games rather than matchmaking alone
> >
> > I agree that custom games should be more accessible, but thats never stopped halo 3 or reach if you remember them. they succeeded on their merits. Theres more to custom game success than just accessibility.
> >
> > But yes it is important.
>
> times have changed unfortunately

Its only been two years since reach’s release. People have requested for a more halo reach style custom options a lot longer than this thread has been active.

CUSTOM OPTIONS ARE VITAL. SERVER BROWSER WON’T SAVE CUSTOM GAMES ON ITS OWN.

> > > > > > > Well, I think they need to improve Customs first to give people the incentive to actually play Custom games again.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > yea you’re right, nevertheless <mark>we have to make custom games more popular</mark> so that 343 would have the incentive to fix it. If none of us play custom games, why should 343 spend their time on fixing it?
> > > > >
> > > > > How do we do that? By making custom games good again. And we make em good with a big map, flexible options filled wiv lots of stuff (i miss my hornet and falcon)
> > > > >
> > > > > At least 343 have made the first step
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > the server browser idea is awesome btw and could really revive the custom community.
> > > >
> > > > We do that by making custom games more accessible and practical than before. This beacon system will help attract more attention towards custom games rather than matchmaking alone
> > >
> > > I agree that custom games should be more accessible, but thats never stopped halo 3 or reach if you remember them. they succeeded on their merits. Theres more to custom game success than just accessibility.
> > >
> > > But yes it is important.
> >
> > times have changed unfortunately
>
> Its only been two years since reach’s release. People have requested for a more halo reach style custom options a lot longer than this thread has been active.
>
> CUSTOM OPTIONS ARE VITAL. SERVER BROWSER WON’T SAVE CUSTOM GAMES ON ITS OWN.

custom browser doesn’t have to save custom gaming, it only has to bring attention to it. that’s all. kinda like forge island, enough people wanted it and they got it. if more people get on custom games and support it, maybe just maybe 343 will fix it.

This would be so awesome. I only have a couple friends who play Halo and we never have enough people to do Customs.

A Custom Games Browser has always been something I’ve advocated, but first Custom Games need to have all their options from previous games restored.

> A Custom Games Browser has always been something I’ve advocated, but first Custom Games need to have all their options from previous games restored.

First implement custom game finder to make it popular then collectively support the idea of necessary changes that custom game options need. 343 will gladly do it if there is more support from the non-hardcore community which the beacon system will help garner.

They need to fix Custom Game options first.

> This isn’t too hard to do. Its not like creating dedicated servers where people can play whatever they choose,

Apparently the OP knows more than the game developer who has gone to school for game development, has numerous years of experience in the gaming industry, who works for a triple A company that produces games that sell millions upon millions of copies and implementing this claim is as easy as drawing a smiley face on a piece of paper.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not use alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

How about you give this to a developer who doesnt suck -Yoink-? A developer that is being paid not to do a boring crappy job, but one that is passionate about creating the perfect game for him/her and their fans. A developer that has job security and uses that leverage to do stuff for the 1% dedicated loyal fans, even if it means sacrificing stuff like JIP.

> > This isn’t too hard to do. Its not like creating dedicated servers where people can play whatever they choose,
>
> Apparently the OP knows more than the game developer who has gone to school for game development, has numerous years of experience in the gaming industry, who works for a triple A company that produces games that sell millions upon millions of copies and implementing this claim is as easy as drawing a smiley face on a piece of paper.

Did I say that I know more than a game developer about game developing? Nope. Got anything more constructive to say?