How to drive a Warthog well

Used effectively, the Warthog is the most versatile and powerful weapon in any Halo game. Used poorly, it is a quick way to hand over a double or triple kill to the opposing team. The only thing the driver does differently in either case is… <u>The Only Law of Warthog Driving: Value the Warthog</u> If you aren’t going to make it through this wall of text, take away the most important point and try to realize the value of the Warthog. First and foremost, the warthog gun has unlimited ammo and is powerful enough to destroy anyone or anything if given a good angle. Secondly, because the driver and gunner work independently you have a unique opportunity to see in all directions at once, and you can attack an enemy that the driver doesn’t even see. Third, you have a passenger seat that can be used to ferry bomb carriers, flag runners, or anyone stuck at spawn back to where the action is. Once you understand how valuable the Warthog is, you’d naturally become a better driver on your own, because everything that follows below are the reasonable actions of a driver that knows the value of the Warthog.
<u>Rule #1 – Keep moving</u>
The overwhelming majority of bad drivers get themselves and their passengers killed simply by stopping. Always try to keep moving. If you really need to make a u-turn, power slide and try your best to arc away from danger. Stopping makes you into an instant target. If you want to stay put so that your gunner can take out a few targets, drive in a figure eight pattern perpendicular to where your gunner is shooting. Avoid driving in a circle because it is too easy for the enemies to throw grenades in your path. Whatever you do, don’t get out and leave your gunner in a parked ‘hog. You might as well kill him yourself. If you need to use a vehicle to drive up to grab a power weapon or -Yoink!- a downed enemy, use a mongoose instead. They are pretty worthless.
<u>Rule #2 – Communicate with your Team</u>
An open channel of communication with the gunner is obviously important. Use your headset. If you lost it, broke it or are just to lazy to plug it in, don’t waste the Warthog by taking it. Ideally the gunner will be talkative as well, but it isn’t as hard to understand the gunner’s needs because you can see which direction he’s shooting at and drive accordingly. Bear in mind that as the Warthog driver you have one of the best fields of view and you are constantly seeing more and more of the battlefield as you drive. It doesn’t hurt to call out intel, i.e. “enemy hog loading up” or “sniper’s on the top of their base” to clear up the fog of war for your team. One note as an aside, don’t shoot at your own Warthog. If it drives off without you, it isn’t coming back. Shooting at it as your primitive way of verbalizing, “hey, wait up!” accomplishes nothing but weakening your own team. Get a headset and use it next time. <u>Rule #3 – Stay Safe</u> Keep a mindful watch on the condition of the Warthog. When the vehicle is starting to smoke, plan to do a hog-swap if you can make the exchange safely. I’ve found the best approach is to park directly in front of the new hog, facing the same direction, to synchronize the time it takes for both driver and gunner to make the switch. The next best option would be to park on the passenger side so the gunner beats you in every time. Keep an eye on your gunner. You can see shots landing on the gunner, and will usually notice when his shields go down. If you leave him exposed until he dies, you’ll be next, so double-time it to some cover and allow for 3 or 4 seconds in safety for shields to regenerate. Try to keep moving while in cover so nobody gets sniped from a surprise angle. Circling tight to the back of the bases on Hemorrhage is a good way to get shields back up without stopping (just watch out for splattering teammates who are leaving the base) <u>Rule #4 – Frame your Targets </u> Bear in mind that the warthog gun only tilts up and down so far. If you are too close to a target, the gunner won’t be able to tilt down to shoot it. A good practice for enemies on foot is to try to stay about a radius of three hog-lengths away, driving in an arc around the enemy to allow the gunner to track the target smoothly. If you circle the target eccentrically, it requires the gunner to move left to right at variable speed, making it harder to land shots. When you encounter a wraith (or a revenant), aim to stay at least 90 degrees off the front of it at all times. Circle behind it if there is room and maintain a safe distance, maybe seven or eight hog-lengths. For reference, this is roughly the distance an AI gunner would ignore you (in campaign or firefight). Ghosts are best defeated by riding alongside them, about two hog-widths over, allowing the gunner to shoot right into the body of the driver. If a ghost is in pursuit, do your best to zig-zag or traverse some hilly terrain because that will throw the ghost’s shots above or below you while your gunner can easily stay locked on. When fighting another Warthog, the only way to win is for your gunner to shoot their gunner first (not the vehicle or driver) so try to stay next to or behind the other ‘hog. If you have a good opportunity to check the other vehicle into a stationary object, that will give your gunner the advantage. <u>Rule #5 – The Warthog goes down with the Crew </u> When all hope is lost, if you and your gunner have been flipped out of the vehicle deep in enemy territory, and it looks like you’ll both be killed and the enemy team will take your warthog, use your last moments of life to grenade it. Best case you’ll blow it up and start the respawn timer, but at the very least it will be easier to take down the enemy driving the weakened ‘hog.
Hope this was helpful.

Nice post. I would add if I may to your #1 rule: Keep moving but there is no need to go full throttle all the time. One of the things I have had to learn especially in Halo:Reach is that going to fast is almost as bad as going to slow. Again great post thanks for showing the Warthog some love. :slight_smile:

Now everyone knows my tactics…
Nice post, all I can say is these are amazing tactics to skilfully driving the hog. I find myself getting told to stop moving by the gunner and it’s annoying as it’s the easiest way to die

2 more tips and tricks:

1. Holding down LT while unstable can help prevent rolling over and making the Warthog vulnerable. Use this especially when going over hilly terrain or performing a jump.

2. If you’re in the gunner seat and your driver dies, you don’t necessarily have to die with him. Simply angle yourself so that your back faces the driver’s seat and eject. Right after you eject, hit the “enter vehicle” button on the controller again. If done right, you should instantly teleport from the gunner to the driver, enabling you to make a quick escape.

One thing I can’t stand is drivers that flip the warthog for no reason other than their own stupidity -_-

Great thread! Thanks!

> 2 more tips and tricks:
>
> 1. Holding down LT while unstable can help prevent rolling over and making the Warthog vulnerable. Use this especially when going over hilly terrain or performing a jump.
>
> 2. If you’re in the gunner seat and your driver dies, you don’t necessarily have to die with him. Simply angle yourself so that your back faces the driver’s seat and eject. Right after you eject, hit the “enter vehicle” button on the controller again. If done right, you should instantly teleport from the gunner to the driver, enabling you to make a quick escape.

Didn’t know that second tip. Thanks!

Not listed: Play with the same gunner as much as possible.

In the case of the OP & I, going on 10 years.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I feel like i gotta write a “how to be a great warthog gunner” thread now.

Spoiler: Rule #1: Shoot at the bad guys. Don’t not shoot at the bad guys.

> Not listed: Play with the same gunner as much as possible…

That is very true. It is a night and day difference between when you have someone used to your driving style and when you have a “new” guy back there.